CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar

2004-2005 NHL Season

Do you really care about the 2004-2005 NHL season?
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    No. (or any future season for that matter)
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    What LobWedge said.

I received email from the Senators about an hour or so after the official cancellation outlining refund options. I chose the "Full refund, screw more tickets option".

Sure enough, the next day I had a voicemail grovelling for me to please, please continue to be a season ticket holder. Not planning on calling back.

If I ever get interested enough again, I'm sure tickets will be easy to get.

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    Why are some people so bitter about this? Do you boycott all government services when the PSAC goes on strike? Obviously not.

Hockey is not hurting you right now by not playing (unless you are one of the servicepeople that works in the Corel Center). It is a form of entertainment that you can live without for an extended period of time. Unfortunately the situation is such that they are not playing right now, but I for one believe that the layoff was necessary to fix what ails the game, both in the financial aspect as well as in the area of rule changes.

People are kidding themselves if they say that they will continue to not care about the NHL when they resume playing...I mean, who among us will not relish the Senators beating the unholy crap out of the Leafs?

I'm not saying that hockey is essential to my daily life...hell, I've lived without it for the last 6 months and haven't "missed" it. But when it comes back, I will watch with the same attitude that I once had. Is that so hard? What I'm saying is that I'd rather have hockey than not...and I'm 100% sure that everyone feels the same way, whether they'll admit it or not.

I Just Won't Leave covanant is on a distinguished road covanant's Avatar
    I have to agree with sensfan63,that this needed to happen in order to fix the problems

the nhl has. However,The fact that the players receive strike pay(at an insane amount)
    i might ad is stupid considering the people out of work.
    I will continue to watch nhl hockey because i enjoy the game,but i no longer have any respect for players and greedy agents.Lets not forget the agents,they are to blame for the ridiculous contracts just as much as the owners are.
    In my opinion,the cap they are talking about is still to high!
    Pay the bums based on performance,lower ticket sales and the fans will come back.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sensfan63
    Why are some people so bitter about this? Do you boycott all government services when the PSAC goes on strike? Obviously not.

Hockey is not hurting you right now by not playing (unless you are one of the servicepeople that works in the Corel Center). It is a form of entertainment that you can live without for an extended period of time. Unfortunately the situation is such that they are not playing right now, but I for one believe that the layoff was necessary to fix what ails the game, both in the financial aspect as well as in the area of rule changes.

People are kidding themselves if they say that they will continue to not care about the NHL when they resume playing...I mean, who among us will not relish the Senators beating the unholy crap out of the Leafs?

I'm not saying that hockey is essential to my daily life...hell, I've lived without it for the last 6 months and haven't "missed" it. But when it comes back, I will watch with the same attitude that I once had. Is that so hard? What I'm saying is that I'd rather have hockey than not...and I'm 100% sure that everyone feels the same way, whether they'll admit it or not.
    Sorry bud. PSAC members as employees of the federal government provide services for all Canadians, and our tax dollars, which we are required to pay, go directly to paying their wages. If you are a resident of Canada you have no choice, other than to cast your vote in an election.

With professional hockey, or any other sports "entertainment" for that matter, I do have a choice. I choose to divest myself of anything that the NHL has to offer. I choose to not spend another dime on a game that employs a bunch of whining millionaires, greedy agents and is run by a bunch of power hungry middle-managers who have chosen to disregard the only deserving people in this whole dispute, the fans.

And I will fight, tooth and nail, to stop any form of public funding, tax breaks, kick-backs, grants, etc., that is given to any professional team that plays in my city of residence. This is the biggest snow job going. Where do you think that money comes from? Our pockets. Owners want us to pay through our taxes to help bring and keep a franchise in town, and then expect us to pay from our after-tax earnings to see the team play. You're kidding right?

If you want to watch NHL hockey when (and if) it comes back, more power to you. That's your choice. It's not real "hockey" anyway. Real hockey is played on ponds, outdoor rinks and streets. There's no greed there.

Read my lips, I DON'T CARE ANYMORE.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    I can't read your lips...you're typing on a keyboard.

I knew the PSAC comment would rile something up...I realize it was a below-average analogy, but it was the only one I could think of at the time.

My main point was, why all the genuine bitterness? It's just a game, and the lockout doesn't affect you in the long run. You stated yourself, it's entertainment. Indeed, you have a choice, but why does it make you so ANGRY?

Do you go crazy and start throwing things when you hear "Billie Jean" on the radio? Because what Michael Jackson does to kids is a whole lot worse than what the NHL has done to you.

Quote Originally Posted by sensfan63
    I can't read your lips...you're typing on a keyboard.

I knew the PSAC comment would rile something up...I realize it was a below-average analogy, but it was the only one I could think of at the time.

My main point was, why all the genuine bitterness? It's just a game, and the lockout doesn't affect you in the long run. You stated yourself, it's entertainment. Indeed, you have a choice, but why does it make you so ANGRY?

Do you go crazy and start throwing things when you hear "Billie Jean" on the radio? Because what Michael Jackson does to kids is a whole lot worse than what the NHL has done to you.
    Don't confuse anger with indifference. If anything, I'm disappointed. This isn't the same hockey that I grew up watching. It hasn't been for many years. This is just the last straw. I really don't want to watch NHL hockey anymore. The NHL hasn't done anything "to" me, it no longer does anything "for" me. And if I hear Billie Jean, or any other song I don't like on the radio, I'm going to do the same thing I would do if I see an NHL game on the television, change the station.

I don't know if you're old enough to remember this but, the best hockey game I ever saw took place on December 31, 1975. The Montreal Canadiens hosted the Soviet Central Red Army team in an exhibition game that was part of a series of games against select NHL clubs.

It was us against them sure, but it was just supposed to be a skill versus skill shoot-em-up and then everyone would go out and party up on New Year's Eve. The problem was, nobody told the players this, and it was evident from the start that the Russians meant business. The incredible skill of the Soviets was equalled by the determination of the Canadiens. The ebb and flow and the game, the rise and fall of the crowd as each scoring chance for either team brought screams of either fear or joy from the stands was unreal. And when Montreal scored the tying goal, the unbelievable glee of the fans was as pure as it gets. And finally as the game ended in a 3-3 tie, the respect shown by the Montreal fans to the Red Army team in their ovation was, and still is stirring. That's what hockey should be.

I have the game on tape here somewhere and the CBC shows it every couple of years on New Year's Eve. The hair on my neck still stands up everytime I watch it.
    Last edited by LobWedge; 02-19-2005 at 03:04 PM.

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge
    I'm going to do the same thing if I see an NHL game on the television, change the station.
    This is not the first time we will hear this nor will it be the last. You are not the only one that feels this way.
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Sorry Steve. Didn't see you slip in there. I added some more to my previous post to better explain how I feel.

I'm a regular em69 is on a distinguished road em69's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Karam
    Do you really care about the 2004-2005 NHL season?
    Nope...I'm not missing anything.

Birdie g8r is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by covanant
    I have to agree with sensfan63,that this needed to happen in order to fix the problem the nhl has. However,The fact that the players receive strike pay(at an insane amount) i might ad is stupid considering the people out of work.
    If im not mistaken the players pay union dues just like any other union members would. the fact that their salries are unbelievable high means that their dues are probably pretty high as well and part of this $$ is put aside for strike pay. I see no problem with them getting strike pay.
    Out of curiosity, does anyone happen to know what the NHLPA union dues actually are (per paycheck or year)?

and i'll be back wathcing when this is over... im actually hoping that many people are holding out so ticket prices are reduced and I can actually afford season tickets to go watch the sens.

3 Iron donh is on a distinguished road donh's Avatar

Bet you a toonie!!

G8R,

I suspect that the price of tickets will not go down. The Senators are holding ticket prices for the next two years (at this point). But from all indications, there probably won't be a big effect on ticket prices here in Ottawa.

Now, let's play what if! What if another season goes by the wayside? Then you may see a cut, just to get some "bums in the seats".

Hockey for most people (me included) is a habit. I haven't gone into withdrawals due to the lack of NHL on the tube.

Cheers,
    Thanks for the screen-time.

3 Wood wopstergolf is on a distinguished road wopstergolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by donh
    G8R,

I suspect that the price of tickets will not go down. The Senators are holding ticket prices for the next two years (at this point). But from all indications, there probably won't be a big effect on ticket prices here in Ottawa.
    Ticket prices reflect what people are willing to pay, that's why, until Tampa Bay won the Stanley Cup you could get a ticket to see them play for as low as $4.

When hockey comes back, the only way to get prices to go down is to not go to the games, and that means everyone.

It's going to be bad for a long time, and it might not ever get back to what it was in the past, but I am a hockey fan, and I will watch when it comes back, but I won't go see another game until the prices go down. I know that is being somewhat hypocritical saying that I will still watch but not go, but that's just the way it is, I miss having hockey to watch, I'm not bitter to either side because I knew that this was coming, everybody did.

Bogie Marmotte is on a distinguished road Marmotte's Avatar
    I stopped watching the game a couple of years ago. The "trap" and defensive game made it boring and devoid of any imagination. I have been pleaseantly surpised with some of the European games (from Finland and Sweden) that have been telecasted back in Fevuary. But nothing to get me back at the Corel Centre or in the "New Forum". I grw up a fan, but I smiply do not care anymore.
    I believe I lost interest when I saw the Nordiques and the Jets move to the sunshine belt. Real Estate has taken over the sports. Let the NHL die and hopefully rise from fertile ashes. At best there is a lot of manure in there.
    [COLOR=Sienna][SIZE=2][FONT=Palatino Linotype]If you bury my ashes on a golf course, just make sure that they are out of bounds, that will be a natural continuation to my life[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Bogie Marmotte is on a distinguished road Marmotte's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by g8r
    Out of curiosity, does anyone happen to know what the NHLPA union dues actually are (per paycheck or year)?

and i'll be back wathcing when this is over... im actually hoping that many people are holding out so ticket prices are reduced and I can actually afford season tickets to go watch the sens.
    Sorry to upset you, :shake but it is not a union under any labour code, it only an association under the US corporate law. The difference is important, because they have no form of labour protection and the Association has no obligations towards its members. This part of the mess they are in.
    [COLOR=Sienna][SIZE=2][FONT=Palatino Linotype]If you bury my ashes on a golf course, just make sure that they are out of bounds, that will be a natural continuation to my life[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Birdie g8r is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by 3295
    Sorry to upset you, :shake but it is not a union under any labour code, it only an association under the US corporate law. The difference is important, because they have no form of labour protection and the Association has no obligations towards its members. This part of the mess they are in.
    ok, then what are the association dues?

Thread Information