CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

6 Iron cobra is on a distinguished road cobra's Avatar

Afternoons=Slow Play?

I usually play mornings, but last 2 "rounds" I had to play in the afternoon due to my schedule.

2 weekends in a row, different courses. First course had a tee off at 4:45 pm last Saturday as a single. Starter tells me a foursome teed off about 20 mins before me and it was clear. Nice start 1st 3 hole, par, par, birdie then I get to the 4th hole and the logjam starts. A twosome is in front so I ask if they want to play together and they didn't want to "slow me down" as they're beginners. I don't really care but they didn't seem to want to. They let me go thru and then all I hit is foursome after foursome, waiting 5 + minutes on each shot. I call it a day after 6 and get a rain check.

Yesterday, tee off at 5pm and get paired with another single, starter says foursome teed off an hour before so looks good. Again good start, bogey, par, birdie (feel really good about the birdie as it's a green in 2 on a par 5), then get to the 4th hole and log jam. Wait, wait, wait (double bogey) and wait on the rest of the front nine, then there's 2 groups waiting on the 10th. Go to the pro shop to comment and get a another rain check, their explanation: a lot of single walk ons, no one wants to play with anyone else, only 1 marshall to patrol the whole course???

2 different scenarios, but yesterday really ticked me off, seemed like the course just lost control, and they're supposed to really enforce pace of play. I'm going back to mornings.

Gotta Post Break68 is on a distinguished road Break68's Avatar
    How do you get a raincheck for slow play?
    Obviously you're not a golfer.

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Break68 View Post
    How do you get a raincheck for slow play?
    you pay for 18 and there's no way you'll finish, i'm guessing.
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Went to the pro shop and asked

Quote Originally Posted by cobra View Post
    Went to the pro shop and asked
    Thank you for that!
    I meant that getting a rain check in the Ottaw area for anything other than rain is rather unheard of.

I've been able to get rain checks before at different courses due to not being able to finish (other than rain). A lot of them are pretty flexible.

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    In the first scenario you are playing as a single so i'm not sure what you expect? If it's full of foursomes in front of you of course it's going to be slow, you also can't expect to play through every group in front of you.

In the second scenario again you are a single that joins up so you are only two behind a course full of foursomes.....of course it's going to be slow!!

Ask to be paired with a twosome or threesome when you call and that way it may still be a bit slower in the aft but you won't be on your own or with one other guy.

That is very surprising, normally when you play after 3 or 4 there are no rain cheques as you are getting the twilight rate.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    That is very surprising, normally when you play after 3 or 4 there are no rain cheques as you are getting the twilight rate.
    This is what I was thinking.

I just find it funny that you are complaining about waiting on hitting shots as a single playing behind foursomes...of course you are going to be waiting!!

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    I just find it funny that you are complaining about waiting on hitting shots as a single playing behind foursomes...of course you are going to be waiting!!
    Yesterday I played with another single and we had a twosome/threesome ahead. I just think the course could have managed it better. We even offered to play the front nine again but they said no.

Medalist imozzie is on a distinguished road imozzie's Avatar
    I, personally, love afternoon golf - weekend, weekdays...don't care. And, rarely, do I see a 5 hour round in the Ottawa area. And I played 42 different courses last year in the area and expect to do the same this year.

I guess that what I don't see in your argument thread is just that...the time factor. Golf courses typically provide a 4-4.5 hr round expectancy upfront. Now, I know that this is for a foursome...but if you're anything less than a foursome anything less than the time expectancy SHOULD BE CONSIDERED A BONUS!

I often play as a single and often actually ask to do so. As SEBBER suggested, I play two-ball best ball (no impure thoughts here...lol!) against myself. It's great practice in a super setting on usually a great evening when, quite frankly, I'd rather not be anywhere else.

I guess, in short, I'm suggesting that you sit back during such times and take the time to enjoy the company, the scenery and - most importantly - this wonderful game that provides us these truly exceptional opportunities and experiences.

The game was built around the foursome...you have to accept that it will evolve at the pace of a foursome. If it is any more...good time to express concern. But, should the golf gods smile upon you and you complete in less...consider it a welcome addition to an already wonderful experience IMHO!
    "If profanity had any influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be a lot easier than it is" - Horace Hutchinson (1903)

Caddy Gofish2 is on a distinguished road Gofish2's Avatar
    What I would have said if I was more of a wordsmith. It is a game.

You teed off at 4:45 pm and 5 pm on a weekend in Ottawa. Just about every course in Ottawa will be slow at those times at this time of year. What were you expecting?

Team Match Play Champ 2012 sebber is on a distinguished road sebber's Avatar
    In a case like this I would just play more than one ball, makes for good practise instead of non-stop waiting!
    Captain of the Back to Back Ryder Cup Champs 12-13!

Scratch Player Gobble_It is on a distinguished road Gobble_It's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cobra View Post
    I usually play mornings, but last 2 "rounds" I had to play in the afternoon due to my schedule.

2 weekends in a row, different courses. First course had a tee off at 4:45 pm last Saturday as a single. Starter tells me a foursome teed off about 20 mins before me and it was clear. Nice start 1st 3 hole, par, par, birdie then I get to the 4th hole and the logjam starts. A twosome is in front so I ask if they want to play together and they didn't want to "slow me down" as they're beginners. I don't really care but they didn't seem to want to. They let me go thru and then all I hit is foursome after foursome, waiting 5 + minutes on each shot. I call it a day after 6 and get a rain check.

Yesterday, tee off at 5pm and get paired with another single, starter says foursome teed off an hour before so looks good. Again good start, bogey, par, birdie (feel really good about the birdie as it's a green in 2 on a par 5), then get to the 4th hole and log jam. Wait, wait, wait (double bogey) and wait on the rest of the front nine, then there's 2 groups waiting on the 10th. Go to the pro shop to comment and get a another rain check, their explanation: a lot of single walk ons, no one wants to play with anyone else, only 1 marshall to patrol the whole course???

2 different scenarios, but yesterday really ticked me off, seemed like the course just lost control, and they're supposed to really enforce pace of play. I'm going back to mornings.
    Don't know which course you have played but some courses in Ottawa allow kids to play free with a paying adult ...Typically it's after 4pm but some are at 3pm. I would try to avoid those courses on the weekend..or go very early morning instead.

If you play single as a walk-on and don't get grouped up, I would expect a lot of waiting time in between holes...you typically can skip one/two groups ahead but bound to hit a road block...Pick some flowers or watch golf videos or something on you smart phone

Shotmaker Johnyc is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Gobble_It View Post
    Don't know which course you have played but some courses in Ottawa allow kids to play free with a paying adult ...Typically it's after 4pm but some are at 3pm. I would try to avoid those courses on the weekend..or go very early morning instead.

If you play single as a walk-on and don't get grouped up, I would expect a lot of waiting time in between holes...you typically can skip one/two groups ahead but bound to hit a road block...Pick some flowers or watch golf videos or something on you smart phone
    Join a private course. Eliminate the frustration of waiting. With the exception of club championship, I haven't played a round that exceeds 4.5 hours in 6 years.

Forum Jedi Weazl is on a distinguished road Weazl's Avatar
    I like fast golf and don't like to wait so always splay early morning. Typically if I'm off around 7 I'm always done by 11 at latest. And you know what that means, just in time for a beer! Some of my buddies don't like to play that early but it works.
    Lots of yoga pants these days, not enough Yoga!

Birdie Sunny D is on a distinguished road Sunny D's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Weazl View Post
    I like fast golf and don't like to wait so always splay early morning. Typically if I'm off around 7 I'm always done by 11 at latest. And you know what that means, just in time for a beer! Some of my buddies don't like to play that early but it works.

I second that.... I love early morning golf, even being the first on the course. As a single that is the best. I played at 6:45 last weekend and had the entire course to myself. Played in under 3 hours and had the best round of the year. It is so easy to get in and stay in the groove.

2 Iron Guzman is on a distinguished road Guzman's Avatar
    I play along many times, that is usually the draw back most people do not want to pair up, (beginner, do not play very good, you are too fat or too bald) most of the time you have to wait.

7 Iron Tee made is on a distinguished road Tee made's Avatar
    Wow, how do you top a response like that ^^. Well said Imozzie, love the positivity.

Albatross HoganWoods is on a distinguished road HoganWoods's Avatar
    This is a bit off topic and I apologize but have any of you been to Cassleview lately? I went this weekend and they now have a marshal explaining the rules and pace of play before you tee off. Then they actually have marshals that go around enforcing pace of play. They tell you before you tee off that you NEED to be done in less than 4.5 hours and if you don't agree then do not tee off. They even showed us how to fix ball marks in case we didn't know. It was awesome finishing in 4 hours on a Saturday morning. I applaud their efforts.

Sorry about the thread jack, carry on...

Hybrid Grouchy is on a distinguished road
    I gotta say, I am pretty surprised you got a rain check, especially for that last one. Sunset is at 8:20, so you had to have an 3 hour round maximum. You can't really expect that unless the course is empty.

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Grouchy View Post
    I gotta say, I am pretty surprised you got a rain check, especially for that last one. Sunset is at 8:20, so you had to have an 3 hour round maximum. You can't really expect that unless the course is empty.
    I've never heard of a rain check for slow play before, but most courses will give you at least a 9-hole raincheck for weather purposes for a twilight round.

3 Wood Brewcee is on a distinguished road Brewcee's Avatar
    I tee'd off as a single at 5:30 this morning, was off the course by 7:45. Only hold ups were waiting for grounds crew on a couple of holes to cut the green.

Team Match Play Champ 2012 sebber is on a distinguished road sebber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewcee View Post
    I tee'd off as a single at 5:30 this morning, was off the course by 7:45. Only hold ups were waiting for grounds crew on a couple of holes to cut the green.
    My kind of Golf!
    Back when I did not have a daughter and I was a member at Hammond, I would tee off first on weekends by myself with Ipod in ears and i would litteraly jog my way around the course, 1h45min 18's and then off to the boat for a nice day on the water... only way my wife would let me play on weekends, lol!
    Captain of the Back to Back Ryder Cup Champs 12-13!

Me too, earlier the better.

I shot a 75 in 2 hours and 15 minutes this morning on the gold course at Hunt Club.

Need a Caddy jmwhite is on a distinguished road jmwhite's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnyc View Post
    I shot a 75 in 2 hours and 15 minutes this morning on the gold course at Hunt Club.
    Unless someone witnessed it....it never happened.

Witnessed by my FC, another course member. Doubled number 6.

Thread Information