100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Putter captainmcb is on a distinguished road

GSA ADX or px2+VX sensor pad

First, I want to say thank you to Ottawa golf and all the very active participants (Cory - par2pro, zmax, bubba22, rdh the golfer, mmlincoln and many otherson this site. I'm 29 and only started golfing about 9 months ago with some friends who said come have a beer. My work has suffered everyday since haha. I grew up with a father and grandfather that golfed and I always said thats a old guys game. well im hooked now. I played on a aboutgolf simulator that was about 6 years old so kind of outdated but it hooked me and have been doing tons of research and most on this site since I found it several weeks ago.

Im looking for a good system that has club data via sensors and ball path, speed and launch angle. Im also looking for a system that is Semi portable and as always cost effective.

My question to the forum is has anyone used the ADX system yet or the PX2 with the VX add-on?

And does it do a comparable job to the PX5? I understand cameras are always better and nothing is real life but like I said I need semi portable so Im just looking for resonable expectations.

Thank you all very much

Postaholic CPA is on a distinguished road
    What's your budget Captain?

Ah the all important question.

Well as inexpensive as possible lets say 4 grand for sensors. I have the computer, projector and most everything I need already.

Sorry I didnt mention you CPA. I enjoy your posts and advice as well.

next question- why do you want club data?

You will see from my early posts I was trying to get a similar setup.

in the end I chose accuracy of the GC2 and easy setup. With the use of ball spin data when the ball hits the ground it is very satisfying to play and practice

Once you get going the club data is less of an issue bit you will see I have been testing swingbyte for speed, tempo angle of attack swing plane and club angles.

Have you read Bubba22 and Z Max' s posts re GSA?

I would be laughed of this forum if i told you my average score....98...shhh
    I have a massive amount to learn so I believe club data would be my best learning tool. I also want the full load of red chain courses rather than the high price point of the GC2 system and courses. I want to use it primarily for fun as well as learning. I have a few left handed friends i play with and dont want to be moving a unit around. I did pick up a accusport the other day for real cheap just havent messed with it yet so that should suit my in that department. I may get a p3pro if I find it cheap enough but looking for more...like always as im 29....

On a side note I just got my prjector in and it throws a beutiful 14 wide by 9 ft picture at 8ft away. I hooked up the Optishot I got in just the other day(used $250) I hated it on the computer but ooolllalaaa loved it on the projector. Going to home depot now for cage building material. If only Cory (hint hint) would sell me his used PX2 light and a 14x9 screen for a good price id be set until I can afford the VX.

I did determine I need a new computer tho due to the lag on the projector with Optishot. I know red chain graphics will demand more power..

So in the end I want resonable accuracy but lots of fun for a decent price.

Hall of Fame ZMax is on a distinguished road
    Email Martin to confirm this but the ADX is basically the PX2+VX. The VX might have been put on hold in favor of the LX. So, I don't think it's ready.

Beginner or high handicap golfers can definitely benefit from club face and club path data.

Ya I belive it is the same basically. You may be right about it being on hold but his website says production began July 2012 but as I know from you all on this wonderful forum he is not always up to date on things. Regardless I will Email him. Thank you Zmax

3 Iron HRS is on a distinguished road
    I may be on the wrong side of the debate but as an even worse golfer than you I found ball data more helpful than club data - was fooled by Optishot into thinking I was doing better than I was. If GSA comes out with functional LX at current price point around $2K I think the sensor market is dead. But I know not everyone thinks that way and since I continue to suck at golf perhaps they are right!

If and when is something Im learning quickly with GSA... I think there are advantages to both club and ball information and its a constant variable we will always see in this world of simulation. Both is obviously better. If this were just for me I would go LX all the way with either the Ccam or px2 but I have left handed friends who would use this also..... Such a nice guy....

On side note im Building my cage and screen today after work. Its been done and discussed but Im going to attempt to try using Heavy canvas drop cloths as my screen (to save some cash). even if I cant use real balls just foam or even almost golf balls id be a happy man. I have a good friend that has some I can use so it wont cost to try and I have a few tricks up my sleeve. If it works Ill post the details.

Captain

I too worried about the left-hand issue.

After testing the gc2 it is not an issue. With a premarked spot for feet it is a split second move. No touching computer, gc2 acknowledges ball is being hit by leftie.

I agree with HRS ball data is priority, even for high handicap. The brain will tell you the rest if you research and understand swing physics.

CPA you do have me convinced about the ball data being priority. It does make good sense however then i go back to price point. Im looking for fun sim play also with variety of courses. So ideally it would be LX when it comes out but then ill have to leave it up to somebody with more experience than I to test it, so this could be months. Im looking for something soon.

ID go with the cams only from GSA but Im looking for something semi portable

remember im 29 and impatient haha...

Thank you very much for your input CPA

In the Zone syhlif32 is on a distinguished road
    If you can learn from ball flight you don't need a simulator! Save the money and go to the drive range.

3 Wood northgolf is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by syhlif32 View Post
    If you can learn from ball flight you don't need a simulator! Save the money and go to the drive range.
    I can determine clubhead path and face angle pretty easily by looking at ball flight. It is much harder to accurately determine ball speed and launch angle - I have difficulty seeing a ball 220+ yards out and I can't really tell how far the ball flew. So point 1 in favor of a launch monitor could be accuracy.

The second point in favor of the launch monitor is I can use it through the winter, something I can't do at a driving range.

The third point in favor of the launch monitor is I don't have to drive 30 minutes each way to get to it (an hour of my time back).

For me to hit the break even point on the LX (including projector, computer, screen, matt...), it will take about 400 days where I use the LX instead of going to the range; that is, it will be a wash for me in under 3 years.

Finally, the launch monitor is accurate, then I can fit my clubs myself.

In the Zone syhlif32 is on a distinguished road
    It is not that simple to determinate the club info from ball path unless you hit the sweet spot every time which @ 98 is not likely.
    Not really hard see if the LA is high med or low!

I also lose sight of the golf ball +200 yards but I pretty much know exactly how far it went anyway from the combination of feeling the impact and seeing it 200 yards.

He is living in Arizona so winters should not be a problem. Guess depend on where in Az.

My point was that he has just started to play, score an average of 98 and want to have fun playing with friends on a golf simulator.
    Having a hard time understand why and how anybody can even think a launch monitor can be of much use to him?

I am sure a better and more consistent golfer can have a lot of fun and good use with a Launch Monitor.

Why do threads like this always turn into a GC2 vs GSA/Protee?

From what I can tell, people that shoot around 100(no offense to captainmcb) have no clue what the club is doing during the swing or at impact. They don't even care about working the ball. They just want to hit it straight, even though most pro's don't hit a straight ball.

The ideal simulator is one that measures both club and ball(including spin) and is reasonably affordable. It doesn't exist. Flightscope does not measure club face directly. The HMT2 cost as much as the GC2 and nobody knows that it's even accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by ZMax View Post

The ideal simulator is one that measures both club and ball(including spin) and is reasonably affordable. It doesn't exist.
    Agreed Zmax

That is why the questions always arise. At 29 with his mates captain is going to care that the ball shape is right and lands on the green and spin matters ie real life. This even rules out E6 as from memory it does not use spin after the ball lands, or have they fixed that?

Protee will have spin cam so it fits into the spin priority category in the near future.

Other considerations are ease of setup and maintenance and the surface he wants to hit off.

Zmax and CPA,
    Thank youu for both understanding and you both are right on to my thoughts. I emailed martin about Vx and MX. He stated they are both on hold due to the LX development. LX will be something Ill consider when it comes out but I dont want to be the guinea pig. So I will excercise patience. Side note I built a 12w 6d 9h cage out of 1/2inch galvanized water piping with fittings(very sturdy, more than EMT and can go wider than 10feet with no bending in the center). Didnt take much setup and streched a heavy duty painters canvas across with ball bungees. It works great with almost golf balls and my projector at 6 feet away on the floor. played 18 with the DD and had fun. Today I will be mounting the projector to the top rail so its put of the way.

When you are finished make sure you post a pic in the my sim setup sticky.

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    Yes do post pics captainmcb. Good luck with setup.

okay guys a little help here. I got my PX2 in and updated all my drivers, the control panal, gsa and prox. hooked it up to the computer, disabled serial ball point and the mat is being detected by the control panal. COM port is communicating correctly
    THE PROBLEM; The control panal is picking up 2 swing like every second it constatntly says valid swing detected. my thought is I need a better spot light shining down on the px2. I am going to purchase a new one this afternoon but thought id ask if anyone has ran into this before?

That is definitely your problem. Insufficient or incorrect lighting. The halogen beam should be centered just behind the first row of sensors(club face sensors) and pointing directly straight down from above and not from an angle.

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    Agreed!

Thread Information