+ Reply to Thread
    Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar

Syracuse getaway

Hi guys--went to Syracuse for a few days just to check it out. They have some decent courses in that area.

We played Foxfire---20.00/w cart-very nice course and were told to play Timber Banks. 55.00 booked through Hampton Inn--------------you want a treat !!!!!!
    9 holes through the timber and 9 holes in the open. Lots of traps with REAL sand in them---fairways like greens only very very lush and the greens like the "Rockey Mtns" and about 14 on the meter Of course --senior rates. Lots of water as they draw from the river.

Stayed at the Hampton Inn, CLAY New York 118.00 per night---absolutely unbelievable service.
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Gap Wedge Kosmo is on a distinguished road Kosmo's Avatar
    Concur with Timber Banks!! Absolutly a beautiful course. Jack Nicholas designed course. Hidden Gem. We arrived at 1:45, employee shook my hand, welcomed me to the course. He checked my group in, said we could go off anytime we were ready.
    We bought 8 beer, they loaded them into a bag with ice, $24 bucks. Good Luck getting that kind of service in Ottawa!!
    (Played August 17)

On a side note. We stayed at the Red Mill Inn in Baldwinsville, NY (Timber Banks is in Baldwinsville, 8 min from Inn) The Inn is surrounded by the Erie Canal. The deal we had, $149.00/night with a $50.00 credit at the Lock 24 restaurant, just a short walk from the Inn. Great food and service.
    Last edited by Kilroy; 08-28-2012 at 04:47 AM.

Birdie Sunny D is on a distinguished road Sunny D's Avatar
    Likely heading to Syracuse this Friday my wife wants to do some shopping, I looked up this thread and looked at the videos for Timber Banks on the course web site. My question is this... Is Timber Banks as tight as it looks. Because it looks like some of the front 9 fairways are 10 yards wide...

Hopelessly Addicted jsttaylor is on a distinguished road jsttaylor's Avatar
    Agreed. Awesome course. Can't wait to play it again!!
    Born to Golf Forced to Work

jsttaylor, was the front 9 really tight... as in driver optional unless you've got it dialed in that day... it looks on video like it is really tight.

Hopelessly Addicted jsttaylor is on a distinguished road jsttaylor's Avatar
    Very narrow. You better hit it straight, or hit your 4 iron. If I remember correctly, I probably wouldn't hit driver on the first 5 holes. After that it opens up if I remember correctly. I think most of the holes remaining are fine for driver except for maybe 9. Totally worth playing. We played it in May and it was awesome. Now it must be incredible.
    Born to Golf Forced to Work

Out of Bounds orangeTANG is on a distinguished road
    Sunny D, another option is "Links at Erie Village". its about 5 minutes past East Syracuse. I've played it twice this year, and had a great time both visits. The greens roll very similar speed to Greensmere and the course layout is quite fun IMO. Service is second to none, and the panini sandwiches in the bar after your round are amazing!

I wouldn't say its a "PGA" caliber course, but it is in excellent condition, and is quite fun with a combination of short & long holes.

Thanks all for the replies all will have to decide if it will be Erie Village or Timber Banks.... likely a coin toss that morning.

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Sunny--we were told also about Turning Stone--just off the I 90--not too far away but $$$$$$ This reply may be too late for this weekend.
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Hi all thanks for the advice. Played Timber Banks as folks said here the course was in great shape and the staff was amazing. Timber Banks is certainly tight. I used hybrids, and irons versus driver on many holes. Was playing with one member and one other person who was not a member. Member was great and I tended to follow his advice on how to get around the course. Other fellow didn`t and lost a lot of balls. I stopped counting at 8. But hey play it smart and play the course and it is a lot of fun. Would go back in a heart beat....

Thread Information