100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Amateur Golfpeasant is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by dbleber
    One I didn't assume anything

Two Mike Weir maybe short but you are assuming that height has something to do with muscle mass

Three Why did you bother saying anything?...Maybe because it is a forum where golf guys talk about things because they have nothing else to do.
    Denny
    Didn't mean to offend you, I just meant that (as evidenced in the ONE transsexual you know), you don't have enough data to come to meaningful conclusion. I didn't mean you shouldn't post, I just meant that one point doesn't convince me. I doubt we'll ever have enough transsexuals playing the LPGA to really see a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by davevandyk
    Michelle Wie is an exceptional golfer but she hasn't made the cut in any male golf tour i believe? Not PGA, Nationwide or even Canadian Tour.
    OFF TOPIC: I cut Michelle Wie more slack because of HER AGE than her GENDER...she's 15 (or 16 now?). I don't think there are many 15-16 year old boys who would make the cut either. Look at poor Ty Tryon, very promising kid, jumped straight into the pros, didn't make a cut all year...

7 Iron HiG4s is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by sensfan63
    That's a funny comparison between Wie and Weir...are you saying that Michelle Wie is stronger than Mike Weir??

I'll take Weir on the bench press for $100...
    I think I'd take Wie over Charles Howell III on the bench press. 'Cause I doubt he actually weighs 155 like they list him.

Birdie g8r is on a distinguished road
    I doubt that there are any good golfers who would try to get a sex change just to play on tour. You have to go through years of phsychological counselling on top of the hormone treatments. A mediocre tour player is not going to get approved for a sex change because he wants to play on the LPGA tour.
    These people feel that although their body is "male" their mind is female, and usually always have to a certain point. The fact that this person is a good golfer has nothing to do with their decision to physically become a woman. They have felt like a woman their entire life and want to be accepted as that, in whatever profesion they choose. Do they still have to use the men's washroom? no. Do they mark "M" on application forms? no. If they are considered a woman in every other aspect of their life, why not on the golf course.

Competitor Hank Hill is on a distinguished road Hank Hill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by g8r
    I doubt that there are any good golfers who would try to get a sex change just to play on tour. You have to go through years of phsychological counselling on top of the hormone treatments. A mediocre tour player is not going to get approved for a sex change because he wants to play on the LPGA tour.
    These people feel that although their body is "male" their mind is female, and usually always have to a certain point. The fact that this person is a good golfer has nothing to do with their decision to physically become a woman. They have felt like a woman their entire life and want to be accepted as that, in whatever profesion they choose. Do they still have to use the men's washroom? no. Do they mark "M" on application forms? no. If they are considered a woman in every other aspect of their life, why not on the golf course.
    Good point. Also I wouldn't be surprised to hear that male to female transgenders were at a disadvantage. The hormone treatment is pretty aggressive and leads to quite a number of physiological differences. Besides imagine grooving a swing for all those years only to grow breasts.....that's bound to get in the way your swing.

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfpeasant
    Didn't mean to offend you, I just meant that (as evidenced in the ONE transsexual you know), you don't have enough data to come to meaningful conclusion. I didn't mean you shouldn't post, I just meant that one point doesn't convince me. I doubt we'll ever have enough transsexuals playing the LPGA to really see a difference.
    True, I do not see this as being a trend and I don't think people will be looking at this as a way to get on a pro tour...well maybe that guy that lost the Big Break II, he was a little crazy!!!
    Denny

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    I'm no expert, but the Dr on the Daily Planet show was stating that no amount of hormone therapy can alter the fundamental differences in the skeleton, particularly when it comes to pelvic and shoulder allignment. He went on to say that in throwing sports (javelin,shot putt, discus) men of the same muscle mass and training as women would have a physical (physical as in physics, not body) advantage. Its not that much of a stretch to apply the logic to golf. I'm glad I don't have to make these kinds of decisions.

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by HiG4s
    I think I'd take Wie over Charles Howell III on the bench press. 'Cause I doubt he actually weighs 155 like they list him.
    Wow...that's silly, think about it for a second.

If Howell has the strength to swing the club as fast as he does (and that's faster than Michelle Wie, because he hits it a whole lot farther), then obviously he'll be stronger than her.

I've decided that you must be trying to pull everyone's leg...

Quote Originally Posted by sensfan63
    That's a funny comparison between Wie and Weir...are you saying that Michelle Wie is stronger than Mike Weir??
    No, I brought it up because someone mentioned that men are fundamentally built for strength, and a presumption that therefore would be better at golf. But Mike Weir is a small guy, and does well in golf. And Wie is a very tall thin woman, and does well at golf. So I was suggesting that maybe strength has little or nothing to do with golf, but rather rhythm combined with reaching a peak speed, and a short game (which has nothing to do with strength).

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by g8r
    I don't have to accept anyone on this type of decision. Fundamentally, if you were meant to be a woman, you'd have the gear.

If I want to be an alcoholic, I should not be an air-traffic controller. People have to decide where they want to be in life. It should not be incumbent on society to accept everyone's whim, no matter how "natural". Quite frankly, if I felt like a woman, but had a chance to play in the NHL or PGA, I'd likely opt to stifle my sexual deviance and make the money.

I don't see how or why this issue gets the attention it does. Would be a simple "no way" and a chuckle if someone applied to me for something like this.

Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

Birdie g8r is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by broken27
    I don't have to accept anyone on this type of decision. Fundamentally, if you were meant to be a woman, you'd have the gear.

If I want to be an alcoholic, I should not be an air-traffic controller. People have to decide where they want to be in life. It should not be incumbent on society to accept everyone's whim, no matter how "natural". Quite frankly, if I felt like a woman, but had a chance to play in the NHL or PGA, I'd likely opt to stifle my sexual deviance and make the money.

I don't see how or why this issue gets the attention it does. Would be a simple "no way" and a chuckle if someone applied to me for something like this.

Dan
    since I'm gonna try and not turn this into a discussion WAY off topic, I'll simply state that we're gonna have to agree to disagree. and just state my opinion that your air traffic controller/alcoholic comment is not relevant in this situation.

Gap Wedge fathead is on a distinguished road fathead's Avatar
    no matter how you put she is a man...

WAY, WAY OFF TOPIC....

Thats the whole point. We see from this simple forum how much the agreement swings. EACH person thinks they are the ONE who is right...til the day we die.

Society is about defining what we accept and what we don't, as a group. Just looking at what we accept today, the world is a changing place. Can you imagine a transexual applying to be a golfer in the 40's????

So whether its good or bad, society is going politically correct, and is trying to come up with huge broad decisions...that are opt to change in the future.

In short, the LPGA accepts them right now, whether we agree or not.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar

No, the Women's British Open is allowing them to play in that event. The LPGA is considering the issue.

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfpeasant
    So whether its good or bad, society is going politically correct, and is trying to come up with huge broad decisions...that are opt to change in the future.

Couldn't have put it more aptly...

Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

Thread Information