100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar

Great win for Tiger

Fantastic win for Tiger today as he surpasses Jack Nicholas in the most wins on the PGA.
    Enjoyed all the great shots and he played like the Tiger we knew.
    He won this one outright and fought hard to the end.
    Come on British Open !!!

3 Wood ex-mailman is on a distinguished road
    Shoot he has only won three times this year... He has long way to go to be back.

Champion goochy is on a distinguished road goochy's Avatar
    Er..no. He surpasses Jack into second place in number of PGA tour wins. Sam Snead is top with 82.

It was a good win though

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by goochy View Post
    Er..no. He surpasses Jack into second place in number of PGA tour wins. Sam Snead is top with 82.

It was a good win though
    Your right Goochy, forgot about Sneads record.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    He has tightened up his swing even more, his short game is getting back to that of previously good years and his demeanor seems improved, so it was a well deserved win. BUT... He's still so damned slow. He makes Ben Crane look like the Roar Runner.

Par dlb is on a distinguished road dlb's Avatar
    never liked him (Tiger) ..... always was a big Nicklaus fan - true class and the best to ever play (IMO of crse) Just hope Tiger doesn't beat his major record ....... I personally don't think he will but who knows. The young guys today aren't scared of him .....

Shagging Balls DIbit is on a distinguished road DIbit's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dlb View Post
    never liked him (Tiger) ..... always was a big Nicklaus fan - true class and the best to ever play (IMO of crse) Just hope Tiger doesn't beat his major record ....... I personally don't think he will but who knows. The young guys today aren't scared of him .....
    But they all respect his game and wish they had his game.
    Bite, Bite!

Team Match Play Champ 2012 sebber is on a distinguished road sebber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by goochy View Post

It was a good win though
    I kind of look at the Sam Snead record the same way I look at the Wayne Gretzky records. They sure are amazing achievements however the game has changed so much that they aren't really factored in anymore. What I mean is that look at Wayne Gretzky highlights, he sure could play, but by todays standards, he wouldn't even make the team, the game has evolved so much. Same for Snead, who was he beating back then really? I think Tiger's achievement are amazing because he made the game what it is today. When he showed up, no one had strength coaches, swing coaches, training regiments, etc... nowadays, every new kid on tour is in tip top shape, with a whole entourage following him to ensure every angle is covered. I think Tiger's 74 PGA tour wins is that much more!
    Captain of the Back to Back Ryder Cup Champs 12-13!

Ace DecoyOctopus is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by sebber View Post
    I think Tiger's achievement are amazing because he made the game what it is today. When he showed up, no one had strength coaches, swing coaches, training regiments, etc... nowadays, every new kid on tour is in tip top shape, with a whole entourage following him to ensure every angle is covered. I think Tiger's 74 PGA tour wins is that much more!

Seconded

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    What I mean is that look at Wayne Gretzky highlights, he sure could play, but by todays standards, he wouldn't even make the team, the game has evolved so much. Same for Snead,
    Same for Tiger in 30 years.
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    Same for Tiger in 30 years.
    I dont know. Golf and hockey for that matter wont chage as much as he did in recent years I believe. A certain plateau has been hit. But then again, you could be entirely right... Only time will tell...

Fairway Junkie sharkshooter is on a distinguished road sharkshooter's Avatar
    ... Same for Snead, who was he beating back then really?...
    Everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by sharkshooter View Post
    Everybody.
    I meant quality of the field... never in the history of the PGA as their been some much parity. On any given thursday, as many as 25-50 players can be considered contenders...

I meant quality of the field... never in the history of the PGA as their been some much parity. On any given thursday, as many as 25-50 players can be considered contenders...
    I don't equate the quality of the field with parity. An overall bad field can be as equal as an overall great field.

Since I have been following pro golf, there has been one (or a couple) who were head and shoulders above the field. But even then, there were some 25 or more players with a legitimate chance to win. Whether it was Arnold, Jack, Tom, Greg, Tiger or someone else, they might have been favorites, or even overwhelming favorites, but they still lost more than they won. They were, however, each the best, and to compare them amongst each other is nothing more than fantasy.

The only reason there is parity right now, is that there is no favorite - at least that has been the case for the last couple years. When Tiger went down, no one stepped up to the plate and hit the grand slam. Is he back? Maybe. I hope so, not because it is Tiger, but because, IMHO, golf needs someone to either love or hate.

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sharkshooter View Post
    Whether it was Arnold, Jack, Tom, Greg, Tiger or someone else, they might have been favorites, or even overwhelming favorites,
    Who's Tom?
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Well, I was thinking of Tom Watson. How soon we forget.

Thread Information