CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar

New Maltby Irons

I'm really liking the look of these new M-45 iron heads from Golfworks. I think I might have to pick up the 3-4-5 to make a nice combo set with my blades.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Shagging Balls jbrace is on a distinguished road jbrace's Avatar
    As usual, only available in righty...

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    'Inspired by' Mizuno MX-23s perhaps?

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!

M-45 Irons

Can't get over the look of these irons. I have the CT250 driver, 3 wood and new 20 deg. hybrid and am looking to sell my Slingshots to buy these.

I Just Won't Leave covanant is on a distinguished road covanant's Avatar

ct-250

Hi read the post about the new maltby irons and noticed you wrote about your ct-250.
    Wondering if you like it,because im considering buying one myself.
    Any info would be app.
    thanks,Covanant

Ct250

I assume you're talking about the driver model? If so I highly recomend it. Put it this way, I'm pretty long off the tee (so I've been told) and during November when I was playing there were a couple of 300+ yard drives. So needless to say I'm looking forward to see what it can do in warm weather. The ball just jumps off the face. In hindsight I probably would have bought the carbon crown model, little more forgiving. Just a note, they have a new model called the CT250 Flight Control model, think R7 but without the movable weights. You pick your ball flight; draw, neutral, fade, and they permanentley insert the weight where you want it. Hope this helps, Geoff.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GJohnston69
    . You pick your ball flight; draw, neutral, fade, and they permanentley insert the weight where you want it. Hope this helps, Geoff.
    Seems to be the trend. They all came out with one . Golfsmith, Dynacraft,Wishon Golf all have one. Wishon has an "arm" inside the club.

This is the one from Golfsmith;
    http://www.golfsmith.com/cm/products/SE3540

This is the one from Dynacraft:
    http://stores.yahoo.com/dynacraftgolf/screwdriver.html

This is the one from Wishon.
    http://www.rjclubmaker.com/TW715CLC.htm

Scratch Player byerxa is on a distinguished road byerxa's Avatar

Beware of iron model mixing

As a side note, I tried mixing Maltby M-04 blades with M-05s and was not happy with the result. I could hit either one on its own fine, but back to back they were too different to me, i.e., different blade MOIs, etc. Ended up going with a straight M-05 set. That is why they introduced a properly designed "evo" set. Wishon makes a mix-n-match irons in which he designs them to play similar.

Championship Cup Eldred is on a distinguished road Eldred's Avatar
    Anyone demo Malby clubs often?

I'm trying to move away from my cloned set and getting customed clubs. So at the end of last season, I signed out three 6 irons, each with different shaft flex. I found the feel at impact is bit on hard on the hands, regardless if it's off center hit or not. The woods and recue clubs had just abit of a sting feel also. I'm just wondering if they are using harder maraging material or other alloy?

Maltby Irons

Which models did you try? I have hit most of their demo irons into their net and the only iron I really did not like the feedback from was the M4 pure blade model. I have their catalog and can answer any questions you have about their products.

irons were M-05, M-06, Logic Tech tungsten. These three look very close to the Ben Hogan Apex Plus and Apex Edge which I've tested. The first two Malby were forged and I was hoping to get that soft feel hitting them.. I also tested the Logic Tech wood back then. I was recently at Pro Golf and saw the Logic Tech metal wood and again tested to the simulator and it still felt that hard ping.... I really like the look though and hoping to get a set.

Maltby Irons

If I remember I think they used some of their low end shafts and grips on their demos. I'm pretty sure that would contribute to some harshness in the feel department. The only other things I can think of is that the balls you hit (if at the store, range or sim) might be old, hard distance balls. The only other thing I can think of is, when were the irons tested; recently or last summer. If recently maybe the swing just isn't in the groove; hitting some thin and off centre shots. The irons other than the Logic Tech Tungsten have rather narrow soles and small sweet spots in which case most shots unless struck perfect would feel "pingy". I'm only guessing. Have you tried their CER line? I really like the feel of the 3C and 851UM sets.

I also had my clubs and a buddy's Apex Plus while testing the Malby...
    I believe I've hit the CER clubs at the OAC golf show last year. (At the free instructions side). I'll continue to test their components and hopefully settled on the model. I'm planning on lessons just before the spring, so there could be some interesting decisions.

Thanks for your input..

Scratch Player byerxa is on a distinguished road byerxa's Avatar

Its the shaft

Most of the Ottawa GolfWorks demo clubs have TT TX-90 shafts in them. I personally dislike these shafts and make the club feel "hard" (for me). I have put together a set of M-05s with Rifle 5.0s and they feel very nice. I also fiddled with the M-04 blades and they too were nice but common sense prevailed when I realized I would benefit from more forgiveness. How do I like the M-05s? They are very good. I'd probably rate Ping i3+ and G2s as better, but only slightly. I have not hit any other irons I like more. Plus I was able to put together the exact specs for me at a fraction of the price.

In reality, people are not going to be able to tell the difference between a forged and a (good) cast head with the same shaft. I got the forged mainly because it allows for more bending than a cast club. The shaft has the most influence on feel.

To get rid of the" stinging" Sensicore shafts are an option. Graphite shafts are another option. And finally pro soft inserts are another option.
    Last edited by Chieflongtee; 02-25-2005 at 05:08 PM.

sensicore

How does sensicore shaft look internally? Does it come with some sort of rubber inside, and where is it located?

I'm currently using graphite set, and find that with the lighter weight, I tend to grip abit too hard during take away.. with steel shafts tested, I can actually feel the club more and conversely, didn't have the need to grip too hard. This summer would be my 3th season of serious golf, just wondering anyone else gone throug with shaft changes and your ideal swing weight.

Sensicore is some sort of rubber and is located in the butt portion of the club. True temper has come out with a new lighter steel shaft with the same specs as the original Dynamic Gold. I have provided 2 links for you to look at. I have installed prosoft inserts in my steel shafted clubs and it makes a big difference. I wish I could do a demo in front of you with 2 steel shafts that you drop from shoulder height. One has a prosoft insert and the other one is without. That would convince you right there. Anyway here are the links.

http://www.truetemper.com/golf/sensicore.asp

http://www.clubmaker-online.com/sensicore.html

thanks Andre... no more stuffing mashmellow between my teeth hitting out of the pavement again.

Thread Information