100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Putter WhatsPar is on a distinguished road

Foresight GC2 - Jack of all trades, master of none?

Hello all,

I'm obviously new to this forum and have browsed long enough.

I've noticed alot of users comment on how good the GC2 is and that it would make a very nice sim (with the additional software/screen/projector/hitting mat ....etc). I reckon all this would cost about 10k..ish. If that's the case, wouldn't the GC2 be best for a DIY home simulator? Or are the prefab (aboutgolf/fullswing/HDgolf/tru** better? Maybe I'm overlooking something, but it seems like the better deal.

Thanks for any insight.

Postaholic CPA is on a distinguished road
    My opinion can only be based on my experience with the gc2. I have only used one other sim which was 2 cam setup.

For ease of use it takes the cake. Load the software tell it the room and screen setup, put gc2 down and hit. No calibration, no problems. Even discovered yesterday that the swap from left to right handed is 10 seconds.

The gc2 does not do club data but for a sim it is not needed.

The only gripe is the cost of courses as Foresight rips off customers with a quick conversion of Red Chain courses.

If you are handy you can set up an indoor sim with blockout curtain all around and HQ screen (if you can sew it will be cheaper) with velcro.

gc2, protective cradle and courses $10,000
    projector $750
    screen $500
    hitting mat $300 - I am a truestrike gel fan- suggest just the hitting strip cut into the turf and screwed down.
    blockout curtain $400
    astro turf $400
    Laptop $750

about $14K for a professional looking setup

add the playstation for justification of Home Theatre to convince the Wife.

and if you are going to set it up on the AFB you MUST get protective cradle. (Why not set it up in a hangar with HUGE screen?)

Edit with the GC2 I have now hit a drive straight down the middle 299m- 326 yards
    and got within 15 cm- 6 inches on a 140m (153 yards) par 3.
    it is a game improver as it claims.
    Last edited by CPA; 07-14-2012 at 01:43 AM.

Putter WhatsPar is on a distinguished road
    CPA,

Thanks for the quick and informative post. We were looking to use the GC2 with the basic "Foresight range +1 course" package or the Creative 3d Golf package...both are 2k'ish.

I know the GC2 requires markers on the club to track it, but is it a requirement? If I am just interested in using the range software with the GC2 can I still have decent feedback on screen? I'm asking because we'll have numerous people per day play/train on this device and having to place markers will be a hinderance...unless we use a dedicated club set.

Our club house may even want to setup a seperate range and sim bay. Is the GC2 sufficient for this setup? I've seen the device that acts like a rail so you can move the GC2 back and forth. It'd be nice if it could just rotate to accomidate right/left handed golfers.

I'm glad to see that the unit is accurate and helped your game.

Seperate topic:
    GravitiTeeup system (http://www.graviteeup.com/)
    Have you seen this? Anyone here used it with the GC2?

....side note....the Foresight team calls the protective cradle: shank tank. I thought it was a fitting name.

-WhatsPar

The markers I'm talking about are not on the clubs but range mat so it is easy to align the unit and move for lefties.

The club data is a different issue. The HMT addon will double the price.

From what it sounds like the GC2 would suit your needs. You see the shape of shot and then displays table of accurate ball data ( you can change the amount of time the table displays).

There are videos on YouTube of the GC2 in operation, suggest you watch.

Need a Caddy TheGolfer is on a distinguished road
    You can tell from my posts that I love the gc2 for indoor LM and SIM. I had my problems you can see and had been vocal on the forum to help new users understand both the advantages and disadvantages so they don't run into same issues i have my first time around but at the end of the day now very happy.

I wasted money on buying the 12 pack thinking during the winter my daugther and i would enjoy a round of golf. Fact of the matter even trackman with E6 is just gamey. Even when trackman came to the house to demo their new product (it's awesome for outdoors but for indoors similar to gc2 in spin measurements / ball speed and overpriced both purchase and recurring support) they didn't want to demo it with E6 rather just the fitting range because its viewed as too gamey and it may turn off some customers. See my posts for the details. All sims will be gamey for sand, rough, putting, and short game. If you are a high handicapper or just learning the game maybe you will improve else if low hcp it will hurt your game regardless of sim. I don't let my daudther hit sand, rough, or putting on the sims. She has a sand bunker, 4 greens, and chipping in the basement to help her game - might want to think of augmenting your setup with a small putting surface for real practice that is inexpensive relatively. Don't have rough surfaces yet but plan to get by next winter. At the end of the day I am just a golf junkey that enjoys using launch monitors to optimize shafts, heads, and balls so its perfect for me indoors. We spend all our time on the fitting range which I didn't expect. Trackman has a nicer range and tools for analysis but again the price and the other sims i tested (trugolf, about golf old and most current) don't come close to the fitting software. I have already used it a number of times to test out demo equipment. I am early in the process of doing a detailed relative comparison of balls (driver spin, wedge spin, carry, roll, etc) and its very cool.

Reco try the fitting with +1. If you really like the one course then you have the option to buy more.

I bought a trustrike academy mat and like it. though very expensive. i would reco do what cpa did and just get the gel strip and attach it to your platform to get the same thing at a fraction.

projectors reco look at the optoma gt-750e. several of us have it for ~ 750 and love it. i get a 8ftx14ft image from only 9ft of throw distance from the screen. its 720p HD versus 1080p but it looks great and expensive.

good luck, keep us posted, and feel free to PM anytime with questions.

kind regards,

Lob Wedge ryan983 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by CPA View Post
    My opinion can only be based on my experience with the gc2. I have only used one other sim which was 2 cam setup.

For ease of use it takes the cake. Load the software tell it the room and screen setup, put gc2 down and hit. No calibration, no problems. Even discovered yesterday that the swap from left to right handed is 10 seconds.

The gc2 does not do club data but for a sim it is not needed.

The only gripe is the cost of courses as Foresight rips off customers with a quick conversion of Red Chain courses.

If you are handy you can set up an indoor sim with blockout curtain all around and HQ screen (if you can sew it will be cheaper) with velcro.

gc2, protective cradle and courses $10,000
    projector $750
    screen $500
    hitting mat $300 - I am a truestrike gel fan- suggest just the hitting strip cut into the turf and screwed down.
    blockout curtain $400
    astro turf $400
    Laptop $750

about $14K for a professional looking setup

add the playstation for justification of Home Theatre to convince the Wife.

and if you are going to set it up on the AFB you MUST get protective cradle. (Why not set it up in a hangar with HUGE screen?)

Edit with the GC2 I have now hit a drive straight down the middle 299m- 326 yards
    and got within 15 cm- 6 inches on a 140m (153 yards) par 3.
    it is a game improver as it claims.

CPA - I'm building a house with a golf room this winter and really want to get a GC2 but I have a son that is left handed. Can you tell me a little bit more about what you do to make sure the unit is lined up correctly for both left and right handed players so quickly? I've been looking at the reelfeel mats. Would a strip of this work well with the GC2?

My son has a couple years before he gets to the point where we can play a round on the sim together but I want to purchase a sim that is going to fit my needs for the future as well.

Thanks!

PM sent

re the mats. I have both Real Feel and Truestrike gel'- for me the Truestrike is the best approximation to fairway but it does need more maintenance of replacing the top cover.

Thread Information