CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Caddy PowerFade is on a distinguished road PowerFade's Avatar

22* Trouble-Out Info and Advice

-- Yes, this is OEM, because I wonder what OEM suggestions you may have (If this shouldn't be in this folder, sorry). --

I'm thinking of experimenting with a 22* or 23* wood for the 190-205 range to replace both my 3 and 4 irons to be much better out of the rough and to land softer. I'm planning on putting a pretty stiff shaft in it. I'm considering a 22* Cleveland Launcher or perhaps the cheap way out, a 22* Maltby Trouble-Out (2004 version). Whatever my choice the face must have grooves through the centre of the face to produce sufficient spin out of wet grass.

I've been looking for something with enough head weight so I can go with a shorter shaft, and a flat enough lie that will work for my short stature.
    (My daughter thought this one was appropriate...)

Seriously, what have your experiences been with this club: overall accuracy, accuracy off the fairway, tendency to balloon, usefulness out of the rough, and any other info you think helpful.

Thanks!

Just found a heavier possibility: Maltby CT-250 hybrid. 234g at 20* and 240g at 24* plus more reasonable 58.7*(?) and 59* lie angles. Anyone hit these??
    Last edited by PowerFade; 02-15-2005 at 09:40 PM. Reason: CT-250 Hybrid possibility

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    i have a Cobra Baffler 22* and i loved it. I have just decided to get the Sonartec MD. But i have it sitting in my house and time to time i pull it out and love it. It does the above things that you wanted and more

dave

Hey, Dave, I tried that Baffler Hybrid, I think it was 18* (been a while) but found it harsh and unforgiving. I haven't thought of the MD, but with the number of times I've struck out on hybrids (all too upright) I didn't figure it would be flat enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by davevandyk
    i have a Cobra Baffler 22* and i loved it. I have just decided to get the Sonartec MD. But i have it sitting in my house and time to time i pull it out and love it. It does the above things that you wanted and more

dave

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PowerFade
    I've been looking for something with enough head weight so I can go with a shorter shaft, and a flat enough lie that will work for my short stature.
    If you're looking for a heavy head and short shaft, the first club that comes to mind for me is the Nike CPR hybrid. There are two versions (one is iron-like and one is wood-like) and they both fit your description. A little too heavy for my taste, but they might suit you fine. Worth a look.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

Bogie Marmotte is on a distinguished road Marmotte's Avatar
    I have exprienced the Nike Hybrid (2002), the Maltby 22* outbreak and the Maltby 24* trouble out. They are a good replacement for long irons when you are in the fairway and on hard sand. I have never had any success with them in the short rough.
    Further, compared to an iron, it is impossible to fade or deloft your club.... not that it make much difference on my game. I have a hard time hitting the ball straight with long irons anyways.... but I can with the hybrids.
    [COLOR=Sienna][SIZE=2][FONT=Palatino Linotype]If you bury my ashes on a golf course, just make sure that they are out of bounds, that will be a natural continuation to my life[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Thanks for the suggestion. I went to their website and couldn't find any info on lie, length or weight of the shafts, or a picture of the face--my memory (not very good) says it doesn't have score lines across the face but has a blank spot in the middle. Do you have a link to where I can find specs? Major hurdle with this one is the ugliness factor--I could get over it if it works well.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by el tigre
    If you're looking for a heavy head and short shaft, the first club that comes to mind for me is the Nike CPR hybrid. There are two versions (one is iron-like and one is wood-like) and they both fit your description. A little too heavy for my taste, but they might suit you fine. Worth a look.

Thanks for your input. For this particular club I'm looking for accuracy and ease of use out of thicker rough, not workability. Do you think it's the club or your swing that has prevented them from working for you out of the rough?

Quote Originally Posted by 3295
    I have exprienced the Nike Hybrid (2002), the Maltby 22* outbreak and the Maltby 24* trouble out. They are a good replacement for long irons when you are in the fairway and on hard sand. I have never had any success with them in the short rough.
    Further, compared to an iron, it is impossible to fade or deloft your club.... not that it make much difference on my game. I have a hard time hitting the ball straight with long irons anyways.... but I can with the hybrids.

Thanks for the suggestion. I went to their website and couldn't find any info on lie, length or weight of the shafts, or a picture of the face--my memory (not very good) says it doesn't have score lines across the face but has a blank spot in the middle. Do you have a link to where I can find specs? Major hurdle with this one is the ugliness factor--I could get over it if it works well.
    Found pictures on the TGW site (click on Product Tour for more photos) - both versions definately have scorelines across the face:

http://www.tgw.com/customer/category...PROD_ID=444725

http://www.tgw.com/customer/category...PROD_ID=444719

I found some specs on the Nike site (shaft length/weight etc - click on the icons in the bottom right corner when you get to the club page) - you could probably contact customer service to get the rest:

http://www.nikegolf.com

Ugly is beautiful if it works well! Good luck.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

I couldn't find the shaft length listed anywhere, but I saw the weight there. I'll just email them. Thanks again.

Ugly is beautiful if it works well! Good luck.
    True!

I couldn't find the shaft length listed anywhere, but I saw the weight there. I'll just email them. Thanks again.
    I came up with a shaft length of 40.75" for the CPR iron wood and 39* for the CPR wood. It was listed in the "Overview" section (it is a weird site to navigate).

7 Wood Stephen is on a distinguished road

I have had the same idea.

Hi,

The answer I have come up with is the Mizuno FLI HI CLK. It has a very nice weight to it, more weight then any other I have seen. I am on hold as far as a purchase but I have had some satisfactory outings at Golf Town. The reason I like it is because it has a good deal of weight behind it and I love the feel. When you hit the ball well you can feel and hear the success.

Regards,

sd

Right. I see it now. Lie angle could be a problem, I'll have to contact them--the "combo" iron is 60* for the 2i. That's my 5i but with a 2.25" longer shaft!

I came up with a shaft length of 40.75" for the CPR iron wood and 39* for the CPR wood. It was listed in the "Overview" section (it is a weird site to navigate).

i know you are looking for a hybrid type club, but i thought you might like to know that the new Sonartec SS-07 are just coming out. Although they are fairway woods, they have the capability to be bent 2* either up or down and bent @8 upright or flat, which has not be available in most brand name fairways woods until this one if i am correct. I am sure they come in a 7 wood, so that might be right up your alley. Believe me, i have a Sonartec SS-03 and they are easily the best fairway wood i have ever used.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    i know you are looking for a hybrid type club, but i thought you might like to know that the new Sonartec SS-07 are just coming out. Although they are fairway woods, they have the capability to be bent 2* either up or down and bent @8 upright or flat, which has not be available in most brand name fairways woods until this one if i am correct. I am sure they come in a 7 wood, so that might be right up your alley. Believe me, i have a Sonartec SS-03 and they are easily the best fairway wood i have ever used.
    I get the 2* flatter or more upright. The loft can also be adjusted +-2*. I don't get the @8 upright or flat Could you elaborate or it's just a typo.

http://www.sonartec.com/page.cfm?content=press_08142003

sorry about that held the SHIFT key at the wrong time, instead of @8 it should be 2* the opposite time of holding down the key!!! Studying for exams messes with my brain

Thanks for the heads up. I will have to look into it. No, I'm not set on hybrids unless I can find something tha both works very well and is flat enough.

Thread Information