100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Practice....

3 Wood Shreen is on a distinguished road

Question Practice....

Playing in qualifying round this weekend. FC missed a putt and then tapped in. When hole was over we saw a long wait on next tee. He dropped a ball and was going to attempt the putt again. I told him that he could not, that he could only do that in match play. Checked out the rules book after the round, and now not so sure. Is the no practice between holes (putting/chipping on previous green) only enacted by local rule?

Team Match Play Champ 2011 quinner is on a distinguished road quinner's Avatar
    I was under the assumption that putting after you have holed out was only allowed in a match play...

Quote Originally Posted by quinner View Post
    I was under the assumption that putting after you have holed out was only allowed in a match play...
    I also assumed so, however....
    Rule 7 - Practice

7-2 During Round

A player must not make a practice stroke during play of a hole.

Between the play of two holes a player must not make a practice stroke, except that he may practise putting or chipping on or near:

a. the putting green of the hole last played,
    b. any practice putting green, or
    c. the teeing ground of the next hole to be played in the round,
    provided a practice stroke is not made from a hazard and does not unduly delay play (Rule 6-7).

Strokes made in continuing the play of a hole, the result of which has been decided, are not practice strokes.

Exception: When play has been suspended by the Committee, a player may, prior to resumption of play, practise (a) as provided in this Rule, (b) anywhere other than on the competition course and (c) as otherwise permitted by the Committee.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    What event was the qualifying round for?
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Intersectionals

Team Match Play Champ 2011 quinner is on a distinguished road quinner's Avatar
    Interesting. Why don't we see more Pros on the PGA tour take the time after they have holed out to practice more putts? You certainly see it during the match play events, but not stroke play events.

Quote Originally Posted by quinner View Post
    Interesting. Why don't we see more Pros on the PGA tour take the time after they have holed out to practice more putts? You certainly see it during the match play events, but not stroke play events.
    I can only assume a local rules prohibits it. But assuming got me into this to begin with.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shreen View Post
    Intersectionals
    See the standard Conditions of the Competition for the OVGA, Section A, Part 7.

http://quebec.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/...c-161c168be087
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge View Post
    See the standard Conditions of the Competition for the OVGA, Section A, Part 7.

http://quebec.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/...c-161c168be087
    Ok. So, at least i got it right. Is this a standard local rule for competitive stroke play tourneys then?

Yes.

Thanks.

5 Iron adanac is on a distinguished road
    Thanks.
    It's only a "standard local Rule" when it is in place for the competition that you're competing in. It's used in most national and provincial championships, but not all. It pays to read the local Rules for the specific competition.

Quote Originally Posted by adanac View Post
    It's only a "standard local Rule" when it is in place for the competition that you're competing in. It's used in most national and provincial championships, but not all. It pays to read the local Rules for the specific competition.
    Understood. I use the word "standard" because it seems to be so prevalent that people assume it is a core RCGA rule of golf.

5 Iron adanac is on a distinguished road
    Understood. I use the word "standard" because it seems to be so prevalent that people assume it is a core RCGA rule of golf.
    I understand that mentality. However, just because there are recommended local Rules in the Appendix of the Rule book doesn't mean that they are in effect anywhere. The Committee in charge of the competition has the responsibility to implement which of the recommended local Rules they need for their specific competition.
    If a player assumes a local Rule is in place and proceeds under that assumption, there are significant potential consequences (as Dustin Johnson discovered).

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road
    I also assumed so, however....
    Rule 7 - Practice

7-2 During Round

A player must not make a practice stroke during play of a hole.

Between the play of two holes a player must not make a practice stroke, except that he may practise putting or chipping on or near:

a. the putting green of the hole last played,
    b. any practice putting green, or
    c. the teeing ground of the next hole to be played in the round,
    provided a practice stroke is not made from a hazard and does not unduly delay play (Rule 6-7).

Strokes made in continuing the play of a hole, the result of which has been decided, are not practice strokes.

Exception: When play has been suspended by the Committee, a player may, prior to resumption of play, practise (a) as provided in this Rule, (b) anywhere other than on the competition course and (c) as otherwise permitted by the Committee.
    You missed Note 2 to the Rule

Note 2: The Committee may, in the conditions of a competition (Rule 33-1), prohibit:

(a) practice on or near the putting green of the hole last played, and

(b) rolling a ball on the putting green of the hole last played.

Thread Information