CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: GO Phil

I'm a regular em69 is on a distinguished road em69's Avatar

GO Phil

He has always amazed me with his play...now more than ever. He has finally found his groove.

It would be amazing if he could get to the #1 spot this year...wishful thinking? Maybe...but I'm wishing.

Major Poster EDSGOLF is on a distinguished road
    If he wins a few majors, it may be mathematically possible.
    http://www.EatDrinkSleepGolf.com
    Myrtle Beach Golf

Hybrid Timothy.Reeve is on a distinguished road

Looks like a good start!!

Well, it looks like Phil has been listening to you! Now that he has won Pebble Beach, what's next? He's sure looking good.
    Cheers,
    Tim

http://sports.sympatico.msn.ca/Home/...temid=43872031

Mickelson wins second straight tournament at Pebble Beach, Weir second

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    I love Phils swing, short game and most of all his love of the game which is very evident with the big smile that never leaves his face while he plays.
    Denny

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Great day for Weirsy too. Only one to break 70. All the way back to 2nd place.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge
    Great day for Weirsy too. Only one to break 70. All the way back to 2nd place.
    There was a graphic showing that Mike Weir had hit the first 14 greens in regulation and then he hit the last 4, for 18/18. He hit all 14 fairways, too. Also, Jennifer Mills mentioned this morning on Golf Central that Mike was the only one to hit #9 all day, and that was with a 5 wood. What spectacular ball striking!! Reminds one of Moe and George.

At least CBS showed as much of Mike's round as they did of Bill Murray's. Did anyone catch Peter Kostis' diagram of Mickelson's "140*" wrist angle?

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Yes, that angle was incredible. I tried to reproduce it and it took my wife 35 minute to get the club handle out of my ear. Its not as easy as it looks. His club almost goes as far back as Daly now. I would loved to have seen Mike pressure Phil by dropping some of those birdie tries on the back nine. Two lefties on top of the leader board, nice.

Shagging Balls jbrace is on a distinguished road jbrace's Avatar
    I thought Mike missed number 10 green short left, and got it up and down. Either way, it was great ball-striking the whole way round. Looks promising for next week.

Caddy powerlefty is on a distinguished road
    He did miss a green - either 9 or 10. He hit a fairway wood that came up 20 yards short and left and he almost chipped in for birdie.

Quote Originally Posted by leftylucas
    Yes, that angle was incredible. I tried to reproduce it and it took my wife 35 minute to get the club handle out of my ear. Its not as easy as it looks. His club almost goes as far back as Daly now.
    The telestrater(sp) drew an acute angle using Phil's left arm and the club shaft as arms of the angle. The angle appeared very small as Phil created the lag in his downswing, and yet Mr. Kostis said the angle was "140*", a little large for an acute angle.

Also, Mr. Kostis does not understand the concept of "perspective." By that I mean that while the angle appeared very small because of perspective, it actually was only slightly less than 90*, which is a little smaller than most people can flex their top wrist, without cupping it, a la Fred Couples. A golfer with a "flat" swing, like Ben Hogan, appeared to have a very small left arm/shaft angle, while an "upright" Scott Hoch, appears to have a much larger angle. Both are actually about the same.

The golfer in the picture appears to have a very small angle, however, it is really about 90.* Quite the illusion.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST
    The telestrater(sp) drew an acute angle using Phil's left arm and the club shaft as arms of the angle. The angle appeared very small as Phil created the lag in his downswing, and yet Mr. Kostis said the angle was "140*", a little large for an acute angle.

Also, Mr. Kostis does not understand the concept of "perspective." By that I mean that while the angle appeared very small because of perspective, it actually was only slightly less than 90*, which is a little smaller than most people can flex their top wrist, without cupping it, a la Fred Couples. A golfer with a "flat" swing, like Ben Hogan, appeared to have a very small left arm/shaft angle, while an "upright" Scott Hoch, appears to have a much larger angle. Both are actually about the same.

The golfer in the picture appears to have a very small angle, however, it is really about 90.* Quite the illusion.
    Man! And I thought my swing plane was flat... Who is that? Looks like a cross between Ben Hogan and Moe Norman. (Nice move BTW )
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge
    Man! And I thought my swing plane was flat... Who is that? Looks like a cross between Ben Hogan and Moe Norman. (Nice move BTW )
    This golfer does not have a FLAT swing as evidenced by the downswing position where the shaft covers the right forearm and is pointing right at the target line. He is actually on perfect plane at this point.
    http://forum.ottawagolf.com/showthread.php?t=6497 Examples of golfers who get into this position are: Hogan, Garcia, Azinger, Trevino, Norman(Moe), Grace Park and scores of others.

His downswing motion is somewhat like those of Garcia and Hogan in that he drops the club more behind him, AND decreases the wrist hinge angle making it appear flat, but again, this is just an illusion.

Thread Information