100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    3 Wood Brewcee is on a distinguished road Brewcee's Avatar

Installing shafts into irons

I wouldn't call myself handy, but how difficult is it to install shafts in irons?

I have the shafts and have the iron heads (well they are in the mail). I do not need to extract any shafts. From what I can gather, I need to purchase the epoxy, centering beads, and the ferrules. I am thinking total price is going to be somewhere around $30 (I have 6 irons 5 - pw, shafts were pulled from 5 - pw, so I don't plan on doing any sizing).

If it makes a difference, heads are Nike VR Split cavity, hosel is .355 and shafts are Dynamic Gold R300, tip is tapered, .355

From what I have seen, cost to get it done at some of the golf shops is about $20 a club.

Let me know if it is a fairly easy, straightforward job or if I should suck it up and get them done by a shop.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    It is very easy to do.

In your particular situation since you are putting taper shafts into a taper head and you aren't changing any lenghts (a note on that to follow) it's about as easy as it gets.

The most important part is to get both the shaft tip and hosel cleaned properly. I'm pretty sure Golfworks has instructions online that will be of help.

One thing to note about length is that if the heads that the shafts came out of have a different bottom-of-bore to ground measurement than the heads you are putting them in to, the lengths of the finished clubs might be off.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Tips need to be abraded (a must)(unless you bought the shafts used and the tips have already been abraded) and see if you can find ferrules that match the hosel size as much as possible otherwise if you buy oversize ferrule you're going to have to turn them(unless you don't care about the look. ..And or if the tips have been abraded you might have to buy longer size ferrules to cover up that area.. Also the heads need to be cleansed thoroughly. If the shafts are used there must not be any old epoxy up the shaft otherwise they may come up during installtion due to air pressure. Like JV said if they are already gripped they may play to standard lengths if the hosel depth is the same as what they came out of otherwise they might be a little longer or shorter and the swingweight might be off or not consistent throughout the set( that is if you care)
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

3 Wood Brewcee is on a distinguished road Brewcee's Avatar
    Thanks for the feedback, never considered the hosel depth, hopefully that works out. FYI, They are pulled shafts (not new).

3 Wood ex-mailman is on a distinguished road
    If both are .355 chances are good that will not even need centering beads. Also make sure if they are gripped that you poke something in the hole on the grip to break the tape. Otherwise the head will likely separate during curing due to the aforementioned air pressure build up.

Thread Information