100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Jedi XTOUR is on a distinguished road XTOUR's Avatar

Smartphones illegal?

I was thinking on using my iphone for tournament play and I was told it was illegal because it had a compass?
    Proud member of the 2010, 2011 ,2012 OG vs TGN RYDER CUP
    Captain of 2012 Team OG Ryder Cup Champions!

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Yes, smartphones are not permitted in tournament play because they have many features which are not allowed under the rules.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Forum Jedi XTOUR is on a distinguished road XTOUR's Avatar
    I didn't know that. Guess I won't be selling my SGX.
    Proud member of the 2010, 2011 ,2012 OG vs TGN RYDER CUP
    Captain of 2012 Team OG Ryder Cup Champions!

3 Wood cokelon is on a distinguished road cokelon's Avatar
    Wow! Didn't know that I have a skycaddie but I also have a gps app on my iPhone just on case.
    I have a tip that can take five strokes off anyone's golf game: it's called an eraser. ~Arnold Palmer

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    As I have stated before, this is a silly rule. We're trusted to call penalties on ourselves but we can't be trusted not to look at a compass on our smart phones?
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Pitching Wedge tortoise is on a distinguished road
    What benefit is the compass? Am I not allowed to look at the sun for direction either?

Quote Originally Posted by tortoise View Post
    What benefit is the compass? Am I not allowed to look at the sun for direction either?
    supposedly it helps you determine where the wind is coming from and the direction the grain of the grass is growing. Asinine IMHO.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Smart phones can be the source of a lot of information - not just a compass. There is also weather reports and even an app that can make your phone a level that could be used to measure slope of the green, and who knows what else. A dedicated GPS is ok since that is all it does.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    The Rules of Golf do NOT allow us to use distance measuring devices. Rule 14-3. The fact that the Rules do permit golf clubs and golf associations to put into effect, a Local Rule allowing there use, is something that we should appreciate.

I wonder, too, how many here play at clubs where they know, with certainty, that the Local Rule is posted. Greensmere has the LR, but I also know of clubs where nothing is written, but members still use DMD's, contrary to 14-3.

Shotmaker spidey is on a distinguished road spidey's Avatar
    ...yet it's a local rule for OVGA competitions whether or not it's posted in the LR of the club.

...so does this mean that I cannot post scores I play at away clubs due to the fact that I did not check to see if there was a LR for DMDs?
    [color=blue]s[/color][color=red]p[/color][color=blue]i[/color][color=red]d[/color][color=blue]e[/color][color=red]y[/color]

[color=seagreen]"Got more dirt than ball. Here we go again."
    Alan Shepard, Apollo 14 Commander, Amateur-Golfer, preparing to take another swing during his famous moon walk in 1971.
    [/color]

Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
    Smart phones can be the source of a lot of information - not just a compass. There is also weather reports and even an app that can make your phone a level that could be used to measure slope of the green, and who knows what else. A dedicated GPS is ok since that is all it does.
    right but really? a weather report? level? Again, we can be trusted to assess penalties on ourselves but not use these apps?

Team Match Play Champ 2012 sebber is on a distinguished road sebber's Avatar
    If we were to follow every single rule of golf, it would be a very dull game!
    Captain of the Back to Back Ryder Cup Champs 12-13!

Fairway Junkie sharkshooter is on a distinguished road sharkshooter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    The Rules of Golf do NOT allow us to use distance measuring devices. Rule 14-3. The fact that the Rules do permit golf clubs and golf associations to put into effect, a Local Rule allowing there use, is something that we should appreciate.
    Is a cart with GPS considered a distance measuring device? If so, is it reasonable to assume a club which has such carts also has such a local rule?

Habitual poster OutOfTheRough is on a distinguished road OutOfTheRough's Avatar
    At the golftown events they have a local rule that you can use your smartphone for apps like golflogix etc. they even encourage live scoring using your smartphone using thief website!
    Proud member of the 2012 OG vs TGN Ryder Cup winning team

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sebber View Post
    No, it's not.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Quote Originally Posted by spidey View Post
    (1) ...yet it's a local rule for OVGA competitions whether or not it's posted in the LR of the club.

(2)...so does this mean that I cannot post scores I play at away clubs due to the fact that I did not check to see if there was a LR for DMDs?
    (1) Correct. The OVGA has no control over what Local Rules its member clubs decides to use, but it decides what Local rules need to be put into effect for each tournament that it conducts, regardless of what the host clubs LR's are. The OVGA's Standard Local Rules are posted on its website. In addition, when we preview a golf course before a tournament, additional local rules may have to be added, depending on the marking and condition of the host course.

(2) Technically, yes. Since the use of DMD's is against the rules, and since scores posted for handicap purposes must be played by the Rules, using a DMD at a club that does not permit its use, would make the score ineligible for posting.

Not meant to stir the pot, but how many clubs that you go to have a set of Local Rules posted and in effect, showing just how "with it" they are? Probably not very many, overall. Are you not glad that we are an exception?

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    I'm with Lobbie on this one. If you don't play by the rules there is no point in keeping score. Nothing wrong with doing that, but I prefer to count em up - whatever they add up to.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OutOfTheRough View Post
    At the golftown events they have a local rule that you can use your smartphone for apps like golflogix etc. they even encourage live scoring using your smartphone using thief website!
    Unfortunately, Golftown only really cares about Golftown, and not so much about how the game is played. They are a corporation that sells golf equipment, and are there to promote their products.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Quote Originally Posted by sharkshooter View Post
    Is a cart with GPS considered a distance measuring device? If so, is it reasonable to assume a club which has such carts also has such a local rule?
    Yes. Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by sebber View Post
    And would your scores be higher?

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OutOfTheRough View Post
    Tim, this means I can use my Golf GPS app on my smartphone in the event tomorrow at Kanata Lakes, Decent!!
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

I'm not trying to be sanctimonious here, but the more I study the Rules of Golf, the more I understand why they're written the way they are. The language is very precise for a reason, and "lines" are drawn to protect the integrity of the game. Are the Rules fair? Yes, as fair as they can be. Are the Rules reviewed constantly? Yes, based on observations, study, and input from a multitude of sources (including people like us). The Rules and Decisions are living documents, and I'm certain we haven't heard the last on this subject. One of the issues that the R&A/USGA, et al, are dealing with is that information technology is changing more rapidly than the Rules can be updated. They are fully aware of this, and are working very hard to keep up.

If you have a concern about a Rule, or just want to know more about why it's written the way it is, I know that Brent McLaughlin and Dean Ryan are more than happy to answer your questions if you send them an email.

Quote Originally Posted by leftylucas View Post
    Tim, this means I can use my Golf GPS app on my smartphone in the event tomorrow at Kanata Lakes, Decent!!
    They allowed people to do so at the glen abbey tournament, and in previous ones also. When you go check in ask them at the desk for final confirmation, but they have in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge View Post
    Unfortunately, Golftown only really cares about Golftown, and not so much about how the game is played. They are a corporation that sells golf equipment, and are there to promote their products.
    I agree with you, but the guys running from my understaning also run in conjunction with the Great Lakes tour. Its not just golftown running the events, but I wonder if they let The Great Lakes tour guys use them or not.

Either way I use sky caddie for my distances, but I guess when I use my phone to keep my score and stats I'm in breach of this rule, and those score shouldn't count.
    Ah well, there goes my handicap.

I agree with Jeffc
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    As I have stated before, this is a silly rule. We're trusted to call penalties on ourselves but we can't be trusted not to look at a compass on our smart phones?

right but really? a weather report? level? Again, we can be trusted to assess penalties on ourselves but not use these apps?
    How do you feel about rangefinders that measure slope, and wind speed, etc?

Just found it on the Great Lakes Tour. Althought it doesn't say anything about smartphones, but they do allow DMD.

RULES AMENDMENTS

The following amendments in accordance to the Rules of Golf in Appendix 1/Part B are in effect: See RCGA Rules of Golf Book

for complete details.

Areas of the Course Requiring Preservation; Environmentally Sensitive Areas page 124

When Environmentally Sensitive Areas exist at a championship, copies of the Local Rule will be available from the

starter.

Embedded Ball Through the Green (Rule 25-2) page 127

Extended to include areas Through the Green.

Aeration Holes page 129

Relief from aeration holes is

only available for the lie of the ball.

Seams of Cut Turf page 129

Relief from seams of cut turf is

only available for the lie of the ball.

Temporary Obstructions page 131

When temporary obstructions exist at a championship, the status of such obstructions will be available from the

starter.

6. Distance-Measuring Devices page 136

Distance-Measuring Devices are Permitted use. Penalty is DISQUALIFICATION.

Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge View Post
    How do you feel about rangefinders that measure slope, and wind speed, etc?
    you're missing the point Rich. Golf is supposed to be a game of honour. According to the rules, we are supposed to call penalties on ourselves, regardless if anyone has seen it happen or not. So we ARE trusted to do this, but NOT trusted to operate a smart phone to only access our GPS/scoring app (or email, answer a call, etc.) but not the other ones (level, compass, etc.). It seems like the powers that be are talking out of both sides of their mouths.

As for the others, I don't know how a weather report is going to help me, let alone a compass, or level, but if that's the rule then so be it. If Rangefinders measure slope are against the rule then that's fine as well, though I don't think they would provide me with a big advantage either, some might but not me. Again, if you can turn slope off somehow then I don't have a problem with people using them, you can only keep the honest people honest.

you can only keep the honest people honest.
    Yes, but you keep everybody honest if you don't allow access to them in the first place.

And by the way, it's not trust. It's an expectation.

.....how many clubs that you go to have a set of Local Rules posted and in effect, showing just how "with it" they are? Probably not very many, overall. Are you not glad that we are an exception?
    ....and yet you wouldn't believe me if I told you how many times I am asked to quote them. At least you have one reader.

[color=blue]s[/color][color=red]p[/color][color=blue]i[/color][color=red]d[/color][color=blue]e[/color][color=red]y[/color]

Alan Shepard, Apollo 14 Commander, Amateur-Golfer, preparing to take another swing during his famous moon walk in 1971.
    [/color]

(2) Technically, yes. Since the use of DMD's is against the rules, and since scores posted for handicap purposes must be played by the Rules, using a DMD at a club that does not permit its use, would make the score ineligible for posting.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2012 RCGA Handicap Manual p.27
    If a player uses a distance (only) measuring device or plays a round under preferred
    lies, regardless of the Local Rule established, the score remains acceptable for
    handicap purposes. (See Decision 5-1e/2 and Section 7.) This policy also includes
    situations that are generally out of the player’s control, such as incorrectly installed
    hole liners or an incorrectly marked golf course. (See Section 15-5.) (NEW)
    ....looks like they've thought of that too, now.

[/color]

Thread Information