100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Putter dougd is on a distinguished road

Buying Custom Made Clubs

Brand new to this forum. I have some questions regarding getting clubs made. I went to have a launch analysis done and discovered that my driver that I bought 2 years ago is completely wrong for my swing. I was given the opportunity to try clubs assembled that better suited my swing. The end result is that I now have a spec that I can used to get a club made up. The question is - where do I go? I can go to Golf Town or equivalent or a golf pro shop and be relatively certain I will get a good product. If I go to a local club maker here in Ottawa, how do I know/assess the quality of his components? I would expect that they will not be name brand, but that doesn't mean they are not quality products. How would I go about assessing that? I have tried to google golf club makers here in Ottawa and only 1 shows up. Does this forum have a listing of club makers in the area?

Thanks,

D

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Clubmakers listed below sell and assemble components that are just as good as the named brands. Where did you get your assessment done and what specs were you suggested?

http://www.maxxfitgolf.com/

http://www.artisangolfco.com/products.html

http://www.golfworks.com/article.asp_Q_ai_E_227
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

thanks for the quick reply. I was assessed at Kevin Haimes. Very knowledgable staff there. specs as follows:

Stiff shaft, weight 50-60 grams, shaft length 45.25", mid point for shaft kick point, 9.5 degrees of loft. Recommended shafts including TFC 169 Tour, Diamana, Kaili

the driver that best suited me there was a Ping G20, 9.5 degrees of loft fitted with a TFC 169 Tour shaft. I was hoping to get a similar club through a club maker at a better price. The quote was a bit steep for me but I have no idea as to how much putting such a club together would cost through a club maker.

Will likey go back there to get assessed for iroms as well. I thought it was a very useful exercise - had never done it before and basically wasted $250 when I bought my Taylor Made CGB 7 club a couple of years ago. shaft is too soft, too long and too light!

Are there specific qualifications I should be looking for when looking for a club maker here in Ottawa area?

Doug

Ace Felix is on a distinguished road Felix's Avatar
    Call downhillslider he is an excellent clubmaker and very knowledgable, He is the owner of Maxxfitgolf

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    I also second Downhillslider ( Les) he handles Wishon products that are tops.

Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by dougd View Post
    thanks for the quick reply. I was assessed at Kevin Haimes. Very knowledgable staff there. specs as follows:

Stiff shaft, weight 50-60 grams, shaft length 45.25", mid point for shaft kick point, 9.5 degrees of loft. Recommended shafts including TFC 169 Tour, Diamana, Kaili

the driver that best suited me there was a Ping G20, 9.5 degrees of loft fitted with a TFC 169 Tour shaft. I was hoping to get a similar club through a club maker at a better price. The quote was a bit steep for me but I have no idea as to how much putting such a club together would cost through a club maker.

Will likey go back there to get assessed for iroms as well. I thought it was a very useful exercise - had never done it before and basically wasted $250 when I bought my Taylor Made CGB 7 club a couple of years ago. shaft is too soft, too long and too light!

Are there specific qualifications I should be looking for when looking for a club maker here in Ottawa area?

Doug
    Why not just change the shaft in your TM ????? Or, we can do a Wishon 525 GRT 9.5 for a reasonable price.

Actually, with what you presented (witch is not a whole lot ) as for specs, I would either go 11 deg with the 525 because it plays truer to the loft because of where the CG i located in the head or a 10 deg. 919 THI witch is similar to the design of the G20 with a lower and further back CG. It would all depend on what kind of launch angles and back spin rates your were getting.

Was impact tape used on the face ? Where on the face was the majority of contact made ? ( Wishon has the patten on GRT witch means that the loft is almost identical from the top of the face to the bottom. All other drivers have ROLL, where there could be as much as 2 to 3 deg. difference from the center of the face witch is where the loft of the club is measured, +3 deg at the top and -3 deg. near the bottom. So, for example, if you are hitting a 10 deg. Ping closer to the top of the face, add 2 or 3 deg of loft, add your face anlge at impact, (open would even be more loft at impact ) What was your angle of attack ? All this data is critical information. Swingspeed? Ball speed ? Did you try drivers that were shorter ? Did you try different weights of shafts ? What kind of disperssion did you have ?

And you are going back for an iron fitting ?
    Last edited by downhillslider; 06-12-2012 at 05:55 PM.

Ok, I will bring what specs I have to the men's league at Loch March later today. I think you and I have played a couple of rounds together over the past month.

Cheers,

Doug

Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road
    Could't make it tonight Doug.

See you next week.

Ok, I'll send you a PM with the specs I currently have. thanks,

Doug

Thread Information