100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Lob Wedge Jon Robert is on a distinguished road

Why I bought the P3ProSwing over Optishot. Tips for you to ponder if you are choosing

Why I bought the P3ProSwing over Optishot. Tips for you to ponder if you are choosing.

First - Fathers day sale date sensitive comment: (probably every year however) This is not an add as I have nothing to do with it or gain nothing But Golfsmith is selling the P3ProSwing for the usual $599 but is offering $100 off and free shipping before July 19. I bought mine on June 8th before the 10% discount ended on the 9th. Then I noticed the $100 off deal that replaced it. I asked and they edited my order to get the better deal. With my states taxes it came to $527.99 Only about $100 more than the Optishot.

Not date sensitive comments:

I researched the P3ProSwing vs. the Optishot and decided on the P3ProSwing because of the following.

1) The 2 are in a reasonable price range for a first swing analyzer/simulator. The father’s day sale at Golfsmith made the P3ProSwing only about $100 more than the Optishot.

2) From studying the online owner’s manuals:

Optishot manual revealed that its focus is primarily playing a simulated a golf game and obviously with some club performance feedback. Additional info confirming this opinion is no expandability

P3ProSwing manual revealed that its focus is primarily club feedback with game playing a secondary benefit. Additional info confirming this opinion is expandability with the Vector pro launch monitor, cameras etc.

3) P3ProSwing measures more stuff: Since I am not primarily interested in simulating a golf game but rather very interested in improving my swing at impact the additional club data of the P3ProSwing is the obvious winner. It measures dynamic lie angle as well as angle off approach which are very important elements of club performance. In Jim Hardy’s book Solid Contact page 13 (of the 4 main variables) angle of approach is responsible for hitting the ball flush. (Also authored excellent book Thee Plane Truth for Golfers) Since the P3ProSwing measures angle of approach it is the obvious winner over the Optishot.

4) Courses and additional courses for playing a simulated round. The P3ProSwing requires buying at a very high price additional courses. But since My main focus is not playing simulated golf I don’t care as I don’t plan on buying any. But if I do get the fever then I will just buy an Optishot for its primary focus on simulating golf games. Then I can get free courses etc. from Optishot for a similar cost of buying courses from P3ProSwing. I'm not a captive to P3ProSwing as Optishot is revatively speaking a price equivalent substitute for simulated games.

5) Accuracy. From my research I consider the P3ProSwing to be engineered to be more accurate than the Optishot. More sensors, its main focus is club data etc. But technical real world distance as it compares to estimated distance in the simulated environment is suspect in either but rather irrelevant to me. I don’t really care if I hit my 3 iron 210 on the range and either unit says I hit it 250. As long as the units are consistent then I find them capable of doing what I want. Likewise if playing a simulated golf game they are consistent then it is good enough for a computer game. If I want real world distances after using it to perfect my swing I only have to visit the range once in a while and record them for when I play a real game of golf. Golf games in a simulated environment no matter how expensive the unit ($50,000.00) are still video games. And I have no desire to improve my video game. My desire is to improve my golf swing.

One caveat to either unit having livable accuracy. From my research I understand that both units can record a topped shot as a good shot. (in the absence of a launch monitor input ) Therefore the P3ProSwing wins because it is expandable to take the Vector launch monitor. Even if it only factors this launch data for the 2 original courses and not the added ones. But as I said if I get the simulator fever to play courses I’ll just get the Optishot anyway for that at an effectively much better deal for simulated golf playing. Who cares about dead on accuracy, it is a video game.

Screens, projectors, mats etc. The P3ProSwing is costly for everything. But as I said I have no desire to improve my video game. My desire is to improve my golf swing. So I will make do with stuff from Home Depot. Rubber roofing impact “screen” Styrofoam simulated earth, fake turf grass etc. Again I have no desire to improve my video game. My desire is to improve my golf swing. For those of you that want the best video game experience you likely would not be reading about either the P3ProSwing or the Optishot anyway. You would be shelling out some serious money.

There you have it. Some thought to consider on P3ProSwing vs Optishot. I bought the P3ProSwing but very well might buy the Optishot for playing simulated courses if that itch needs scratching down the road. You on the other hand may have the opposite priority and reverse this purchase pecking order
    Last edited by Jon Robert; 06-10-2012 at 06:22 PM.

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    Thanks Jon. Seems quite long winded. The comparisons of these sims have been debated here by well experienced users and many would choose the Optishot over the P3pro. Have you read all the info here Jon? When you say from my research, what exact research do you mean?

Always one

Quote Originally Posted by bubba22 View Post
    Thanks Jon. Seems quite long winded. The comparisons of these sims have been debated here by well experienced users and many would choose the Optishot over the P3pro. Have you read all the info here Jon? When you say from my research, what exact research do you mean?

You seem to be personally offended that your opinion is not shared. The long winded standard dismissal in absense of substance was the first clue. But your opinions even if not considered worthy of adopting were included in my research. Sorry that your opinion is not adopted. Perhaps you might want to read the last sentence of my post again.

Not personally offended at all. Just pointing out that we have many discussions on this topic. I respect your decision and hope you all the best.

Hall of Fame ZMax is on a distinguished road
    I hope you plan on Getting the grass fiber retrofit Or aftermarket top because that hard rubber is awful.

Quote Originally Posted by ZMax View Post
    I hope you plan on Getting the grass fiber retrofit Or aftermarket top because that hard rubber is awful.

Yes I do. I first plan on trying to make my own divot action one some how. (avid do it yourselfer) But if it dont work out so be it I will try velcro and quality fake turf if that is possible (quality/fake) If all else fails I'll just buy one. But I figure I can make one. I also want to make my own stance mat with building wall foam covered with fake turf. Hoping that body weight walking on it will deform the foam over time and simulate real uneven earth. Just have to shift it around to avoid a wear rut.

Good luck Jon and keep us posted with some pics.

3 Wood Stonebattle is on a distinguished road
    Jon
    It sounds like you chose the P3pro for similar reasons as I did. I agree with your choice based on swing improvements. My P3pro has helped me a lot, although I think there's a point where one needs something more accurate and realistic, Still, having said that, for most golfers I think the P3pro provides informative and helpful feedback.

Thread Information