CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    5 Iron mmills820105 is on a distinguished road

Favorite Courses

I noticed that a lot of people on this board do a lot of travelling and playing all over the world. I'm wondering what courses have you guys played ?

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    I've been doing the Monterey Peninusla courses because of work.

Of the courses I've played out there, I would recommend:

1. Pasatiempo (designed by the same guy who did Augusta National)

2. Spyglass Hill. The best of the Pebble Beach courses I've played so far. I have yet to play Pebble. Can't justify the $$$ yet.

If you're thinking Carolina's, then Pinehurst is a treat.

I'd play #2, #4, and #8 in a rotation if I went again.

EDIT: Forgot to add, if you're ever in the San Diego area, definitely go play Torrey Pines South. It's the hard course where for the Buick and the US Open is going to be there in a couple of years. Awesome views and very nice course.
    Last edited by jvincent; 02-11-2005 at 10:04 PM.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar

Whistler

I played Nicklaus North, Chateau Whistler but the best was a ½ hour drive to the valley to play Big Sky. A phonomenal view and a tight tough course. You are in a valley surrounded by the mountains.

3 Wood mkemila is on a distinguished road mkemila's Avatar
    Eagles Glenn in PEI was amazing this past summer.......well worth the days drive and $100 green fee

Amateur BullDog is on a distinguished road BullDog's Avatar
    I've played Crowbush 4 times (each time I've been out east.)

I also travelled to Europe in 1999 and played the Jubilee, New Course and Old Course at St. Andrews. I checked out Carnoustie but couldn't play as it had just closed for British Open preparation.

It was a trip to remember!

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar

Courses

Here are a few of my favourites in the Eastern U.S.A.:

Maine:

Sugarloaf (tough track, beautiful scenery)
    Belgrade Lakes (5 stars from Golf Digest)
    Samoset Resort (coastal track, especially tough when the wind is blowing)
    Augusta Country Club (challenging old-style private 18 - but can be accessed)
    Aroostook Valley (the clubhouse is in New Brunswick - great risk/reward par 5s)
    Fox Ridge (fantastic new course in south central Maine - bring your A game)
    Natanis (36 holes, with 9s of varying difficultly, very friendly owners and members)
    Sable Oaks (wow)
    Waterville Country Club (another old style course - miss your target and you are dead)
    Wilson Lake (9 holes, but beautiful and challening)

New Hampshire:

The Balsams (a fabulous Ross design situated in the mountains of Dixville Notch)

Virginia:

Shenandoah Valley (at $18 a day Monday through thursday to play all day on 27 good holes, who can complain, and only 9 hours from Ottawa)

North Carolina:

Tobacco Road (you'll either love it or hate it - I love this demanding oasis)

More to come.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    St. Andrew's - Old and New
    Kiawah Island - Ocean Course, Turtle Point
    Myrtle Beach - Barefoot Resort, Dye, Love, Norman & Fazio (1st group to play 4 virgin courses before the resort opened)
    Kananaskis - Lorette and Kidd
    Maui - Dunes at Maui Lani and Kaanapali North & South
    New Mexico - Pinon Hills, Farmington
    Phoenix - Karsten Course at ASU (Lefty's NCAA stomping ground)
    Mexico - Playacar Golf Club (Cancun), Cabo Real (Cabo San Lucas)

I know there's more...

Hopefully many more to come.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

7 Wood gumby is on a distinguished road

favorite courses

front royal virginia there is shenandaoh
    fredericksburg va..meadow farms and the gauntlet
    pinehurst..tobacco road and the pit
    myrtle beach...tidewater and the witch
    hilton head...shipyard

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    Pinehurst #2, #4, and #6 are some of the best golf in the world.
    Valhalla (Kentucky) is alright...the back nine is so much better than the front.
    Baltusrol (New Jersy) is fantastic, they have two courses there.
    Barefoot Resort in Myrtle Beach...the Norman and Fazio courses are excellent, while the Love and Dye courses are borderline retarded.
    And Portmarnock and the European Club in Ireland are the best golf you'll ever play!

Caddy powerlefty is on a distinguished road
    I've probably played about 100 courses outside the Ottawa area. here are the notables for me...

BC: Nicklaus North (hosted CDN Skins, great service, OK course); Big Sky (great value!); Whistler (Palmer course - basic but the first course in the Whistler area); Northview Ridge Course (home of Air Canada Championship - tried to re-enact Mike Wier's hole-out but was unsuccessful!); Predator Ridge (hosted CDN skins - good course and great value)
    AB: Banff Springs (good scenery but overrated and over priced)
    ON: Deerhurst (tough)
    QC: Le Diable (hosted CDN skins); Le Geant
    NB: Fundy (9 hole Stanley Thomson - great basic golf the way Stanley meant it to be); Algonquin (St Andrews By The Sea - Donald Ross. Since plowed under and rebuilt by McBroom)
    NS: CB Highlands (Stanley Thomson - it always was great, now everyone knows about it and it is busier and a lot more expensive!); Bell Bay (Gretzky and Friends - solid course, excellent conditioning!); Chester (on the Atlantic, nothing better than a good stiff breeze and some bright sunshine!)
    PEI: Eagles Glenn

ME: Samoset (calls itself Pebble Beach of the East - if you don't like wind, stay away)
    FL: Palm and Osprey Ridge at DisneyWorld
    HI: Wailea; Waiehu (Municipal course calls itself Pebble Beach of Hawaii - average course with some spectacular scenery and a tremendoues value, also the best place to play golf with "real" locals)

Cuba: Varadero (wind, wind, wind)

Jamaica: Rose Hall Golf Course (get out early in the monring because after about 9AM it's wind, wind, wind)

Amateur Golfpeasant is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by powerlefty
    NB: Fundy (9 hole Stanley Thomson - great basic golf the way Stanley meant it to be);
    This course used to be in great shape. Last few times I've gone, its gone downhill a bit...too bad, used to be a lot of fun.

Caddy powerlefty is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfpeasant
    This course used to be in great shape. Last few times I've gone, its gone downhill a bit...too bad, used to be a lot of fun.
    That really would be to bad. I've not played there in about 15 years but back then it was usually in pretty good shape and fun to play.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar

Fundy

Quote Originally Posted by powerlefty
    That really would be to bad. I've not played there in about 15 years but back then it was usually in pretty good shape and fun to play.
    You are right. Fundy was always a great 9 hole course. I used to play there yearly in a late summer or early fall golf tournament. What a great time. Better than that, even, were the cottages that one could rent in the park. I once had one for a week that was no more than a few yards from the first tee. There's nothing more magical than teeing off early in the morning with the deer roaming the course followed by an evening round with the same deer present. Wow.

Putter Gforce is on a distinguished road

East Coast

Nice to hear people talk about Fundy, have played there since I was 8 --1965. It's had it's ups and downs but great 9 hole course!!

Favorite out here

Highlands Cape Breton NS
    Eagles Glenn PEI
    Northumberland Pugwash NS the greens are awesome(fast)

If you are down this way check out Amherst GC on the Border close to NB Fun course also Clyde River in PEI paid $40 dollars with Power Cart Fun Course!!!

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    Best in Canada course i have played has to be RedTail, outside of the Canada, i would have to say that Royal Melbourne was unbelievably awesome. If you ever get a chance, go to Australia, its worth the flight, and golf courses are cheap. I played courses that are comparable to Eagle Creek and Camelot for like $15!!!

Putter jecosgro is on a distinguished road
    Crowbush is my favourite. It's challenging, but quite fun... plus it is always well taken care of. (But I guess for the price of the green fees it should be)

Pitching Wedge Twisting is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by mpare
    There's nothing more magical than teeing off early in the morning with the deer roaming the course followed by an evening round with the same deer present. Wow.
    *DROOLS*

7 Iron laxgolf is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by davevandyk
    Best in Canada course i have played has to be RedTail, outside of the Canada, i would have to say that Royal Melbourne was unbelievably awesome. If you ever get a chance, go to Australia, its worth the flight, and golf courses are cheap. I played courses that are comparable to Eagle Creek and Camelot for like $15!!!
    Can I ask how you got onto Redtail? Must have some large connection. I'm planning on heading to the men's amateurs this summer just to see the course.

Putter KPERAWAY is on a distinguished road
    Favourite Would Be Bell Bay Followed By Highlands Then Crowbush. Played Disneys Magnolia Last Week ,great Course $65 Twilight Also Played Remington A Really Nice Course $54 All You Could Play With Cart ,lunch And Range Balls

bambam
    My favorite that I have played recently is sawgrass. It is as hard as it looks.

7 Wood East Coast Golf is on a distinguished road
    I just got back from Kapalua - plantation course and it was a real treat.

There is some impressive lists on here. Mind you I am only 27, so by the time I retire I hope to have such impressive lists as you all.

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by laxgolf
    Can I ask how you got onto Redtail? Must have some large connection. I'm planning on heading to the men's amateurs this summer just to see the course.
    I have an uncle who golfs at Glen Abbey as well as Magnolia, who knows a few people that got us on the course. Its kinda a domino effect. While playing at RedTail, met a couple of guys who got me onto another great course.

RedTail is amazing though, i am playing in the Amateur this year and can't wait to play it again

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    Four Seasons in Puerto Vallarta. By far the worst value for my dollar I've ever spent, but having a caddy who thought I could hit a 9-iron 150yds was well worth it... Actually a gorgeous course I'd love to tackle again... Less cerveza next time though.

Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

Fairway Junkie sharkshooter is on a distinguished road sharkshooter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mpare
    You are right. Fundy was always a great 9 hole course. I used to play there yearly in a late summer or early fall golf tournament. What a great time. Better than that, even, were the cottages that one could rent in the park. I once had one for a week that was no more than a few yards from the first tee. There's nothing more magical than teeing off early in the morning with the deer roaming the course followed by an evening round with the same deer present. Wow.
    The last time I played there (92 I think) it was coyotes rather than deer. But I still liked the course.

Shotmaker spidey is on a distinguished road spidey's Avatar
    I haven't played on any of the places that I'd really like to, but then I couldn't afford it anyway.

In BC, I played The Bear at The Okanagan Club. Awesome.
    In NB, I played St. Andrews (the Algonquin).
    In Florida, I played The Palm and The Magnolia at Disneyworld.
    - also played The Meadows in Sarasota
    - also played Indigo Lakes, Pelican Bay and The Sugar Mill in Daytona.

Places I'd love to play: all of them.
    [color=blue]s[/color][color=red]p[/color][color=blue]i[/color][color=red]d[/color][color=blue]e[/color][color=red]y[/color]

[color=seagreen]"Got more dirt than ball. Here we go again."
    Alan Shepard, Apollo 14 Commander, Amateur-Golfer, preparing to take another swing during his famous moon walk in 1971.
    [/color]

9 Iron scottymac is on a distinguished road scottymac's Avatar

longcreek

longcreek in avon lee sack. beauty in the prarie's and it was only $108 for 4 with a cart
    SCOTT

Birdie flagolfnut is on a distinguished road
    Nicest course in Canada that I've played is LE Maitre near Mont Tremblant
    Outside of Canada would be The Ocean Club on Paradise Island in the Bahamas. Michael Jordan has a pro-am there every year and the course is frequented by many different celebrities.

2 Iron guyfrompei is on a distinguished road guyfrompei's Avatar
    Crowbush, Dundarave & Eagles Glenn - PEI

Thread Information