78 57.78%
  • No

45 33.33%
  • NoT sure

12 8.89%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    7 Wood retread is on a distinguished road retread's Avatar
    It has been a year of my game sucks. Working my way through it, see some benefits but there is no consistency. Learning to string some good holes together, but no great holes. This time last year I had 10 -12 birdies and an eagle, this year I am not finishing out a hole properly and there have no birdies.

Still confident that I can get there, it is a matter of due diligence with practicing, lessons, and getting the rounds in.
    Determined to keep the rough trimmed. One swing at a time.

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    My game is feast or famine. Mostly famine.
    You only get out of something what you put into it

President's Cup Wknd_Warrior is on a distinguished road Wknd_Warrior's Avatar
    I've been on a downhil slide last year as well. Year before last I kind of wenht back to my "old game" just to prove I could still play. Having been satisfied with the results that summer, I've since resumed my mission to completely destroy my game, with astounding results.

On the bright side I might be over the hump. Last few range sessons might be thebest I've ever had, and the last hand full of rounds have probably seen the best I've ever driven the ball on the course. Still waiting for the numbers though.

Lob Wedge jalves is on a distinguished road
    Oh boy do I ever suck this year.

Pitching Wedge Crusty is on a distinguished road
    My game doesn't suck but my lies are atrocious....

Putter s1green is on a distinguished road
    Game sucks to the point where I'm considering packing it in

Pitching Wedge Crusty is on a distinguished road
    I wouldn't pack it in, at least it's easier to improve you game and score from where you're at.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    As of now, I'd have to say I do. 5 3-putts for Sunday's round, and putting is usually a strong point. From the start of last year up to Sunday's round, I've played a mere 20 rounds. Tough to stay sharp on the course when you only play every 3 weeks or so.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Quote Originally Posted by s1green View Post
    Game sucks to the point where I'm considering packing it in
    I've begun calculating how much my clubs would sell online

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    I've begun calculating how much my clubs would sell online
    Not much, they have no game.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    Not much, they have no game.
    They have some game; I started birdie birdie today!

Team Match Play Champ 2010 DenisO is on a distinguished road DenisO's Avatar
    I have yet to even have an eagle after playing golf for over 5 years. Yes, I suck at golf

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    I'm actually getting better! I've never played so well.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Forum Jedi golfisforfun is on a distinguished road
    I have been shooting high 70's for 10 years without much change in scoring and have taken a slightly different approach this year in terms of strategy and it is making a difference.

Let me say that I hate going to the range, and I only play about 15-20 rounds a season now.
    My new strategy includes the following changes, and I am seeing much better birdie chances this year:

#1 Par 5s - If a driver wont get me within 220 yards for my 2nd shot, I take the toal distance (example 520 yards) and subtract 100 yards (now 420 yards) and divide that by 2 (Now 210 yards) and I go with the club that will get me just past that distance whcih is this example would be a 5 wood, going around 215 yards. I know I can hit the fairway with this and not be in any trouble. Then I hit a club to get me to the 100 yard marker which is my favourite wedge distance. I am birdying a lot of Par 5s this year!!!

#2 Par 3s - I am making sure I pick a club that is going to require a smooth swing and not a 100% effort clubhead speed swing if that makes sense. I am making much better contact and hitting it much closer to the flag. I have never been a big hitter but I keep it in play and my irons are much better this year with this approach.

#3 Driver Distances - I am trying to hit my tee shots 245 yards this year with my driver. My swing speed is just shy of 100mph but like I said, I keep it in play. Problems arise when I overswing, but trying to hit it 245 keeps me in control and its amazing how many times I hit it 250+ with this swing thought. I can hit it closer to 265 if I swing hard, but I don't need to on most holes.

#4 Short Par 4s - Every now and then I play courses with shortish Par 4s that are sub 300 yards and in the past I would try and blast driver as close as possible to the green. This year it is whatever club will get me to 100 yard marker, just like Par 5s.

I am wondering how many people here who struggle are actually trying to improve their swing, or their scoring, or their overall game?
    What tees are you playing?
    Do you hit driver on all Par 5s? Why?
    Do you want to just lower your score?
    What is your actual goal? Break 100? Break 90? Break 80?

There are a lot of golfers who "suck" but that is because of the choices they make...

Smarter golf for me has led to more consistent golf and lower scores each round. I have gone 82, 80, 78, 74, 71 in that order in my last 5 rounds all because of my new approach to the game.

Albatross goliath is on a distinguished road goliath's Avatar
    I do something similar to your approach although my distances are a little longer and I like different clubs. I am also way more selective about when I go for par 5s in 2 and if its not wide open where I have lots of room to miss I will hit it out to the 100 or 70 yrd mark and pitch it on. Its almost a guaranteed par and usually a good look at birdie.

1 thing that I also try to do is remember what club I am in the groove with that round. If I am hitting my driver especially good that day and a par 4 comes up with hazards but I can hit it a little shorter and still get on in 2 easily, I will take the driver and do a really easy swing instead of taking a 3 wood that I havent hit alot that round yet.

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by goliath View Post
    I do something similar to your approach although my distances are a little longer and I like different clubs. I am also way more selective about when I go for par 5s in 2 and if its not wide open where I have lots of room to miss I will hit it out to the 100 or 70 yrd mark and pitch it on. Its almost a guaranteed par and usually a good look at birdie.

1 thing that I also try to do is remember what club I am in the groove with that round. If I am hitting my driver especially good that day and a par 4 comes up with hazards but I can hit it a little shorter and still get on in 2 easily, I will take the driver and do a really easy swing instead of taking a 3 wood that I havent hit alot that round yet.
    I play the par 5's a little different than you. I can usually reach them in two, unless I've duffed my drive or there is a strong head wind. I'm more likely to go for them if the green is guarded by rear or front bunkers. Getting a long iron to land soft is not the easiest thing to do, so if there is a bunker near the green, that is a decent bail out for me. I trust myself to get it close for birdie from greenside over hitting from 70-100 yards.

I also find, if I don't fully swing my driver, it does not react the way it's supposed to. The shaft properties work optimally when you swing a speed the shaft properties are built for. If I swing an X-flex driver slowly, odds of getting the head square at impact, in my opinion, are slim to none. If I don't need driver length, I'd rather hit a full swing 3-wood instead of trying to be fancy with my driver.

Both have worked well for me so far, so I don't plan on changing my approach.

That being said....I can't seem to get all facets of the game working in the same round. One day I will be putting lights out, but my approach shots are slightly off. Then another day I will be sucking at putting, yet landing every ball in the fairway, and hitting greens. Not really sure what the cause of this is.....It seems most people I talk to have similar issues. The other day, my chipping and short game was so good, I rarely had a putt longer than 5 feet, although GIRs were down.

So frustrating sometimes!

Consistently present SnazzyD is on a distinguished road
    Personally, I no longer care to ask myself that question. The only important one to ask once in a while is "Am I having fun?"

Since kids came along, my rounds per year dropped to 5 at best but I kept using the same MacGregor clubs I'd had for 15 years. Older, cavity back irons that played a lot like blades - amazing when hit on the button but terribly punishing on misses. Then, a year or so ago I tried out a set of Adams a2OS irons, and what a difference it made in terms of having "fun" while playing golf!! On my very first round with them, I shot an eagle - obviously my first. My overall score wasn't all that different but just about every shot was decent and "golf like".

I upgraded to the a3OS and then the a12OS and am about to try some Adams Idea Tech v3 irons, but that leaves me at a crossroads. Do I continue playing with fun clubs that offer a lot of game improvement technology, masking my less than perfect contact? Or do I suck it up and go back to something more traditional to encourage a better swing?

And this all brings me back to that #1 question all non-pro golfers should be asking themselves - why do I play this game? Is it for fun or is it for the feeling of accomplishment one gets through much practice and discipline? The most fun I've ever had playing golf was this past fall, playing a few rounds at beautiful Equinelle amidst the Fall colours. My Adams a12OS clubs were getting me around the course very nicely, my putter-du-jour was letting me down every other hole as usual, my drives were pretty good. But the thing I enjoyed the most was just hearing the wind whistling through the trees, which were glowing in the sun with all their vivid colours. I three-putted 18 and ended up shooting 90 but I didn't care because I had fun and really felt 'in the moment' all round with that gorgeous weather and scenery I felt a part of.

I've come to think that some golfers who insist on playing blades and, more importantly, look down on anyone with a GI set of clubs in their bag...probably aren't having a lot of fun. Is technology a bad thing when it comes to golf? There's a reason not a single NHLer uses a wooden stick anymore, even though they provide better touch and break less easily - so why is it any different when it comes to golf?

If you aren't having fun, you aren't playing the "game". And since the game of golf very closely resembles the ups and downs that real life throws at us, you might not be having much fun with that either...

there are blade versus cavity back threads all over the internet, there's just no reason at all to hijack this thread with a troll post

I might stop sucking as hard, while my cap is at an all time high, I just carded a personal best .

One thing that strikes me when I'm playing well, and memories of playing well on and off over the years, is that I consistently advance the ball. Making a lower score get's so much easier, you don't even have to hit good shots. My main trouble for a while now has been not knowing if I'm even going to be able to swing day to day. It's all fin and good to be trying to make that new "A" swing, but there's something to be said for putting the club on the ball, whether it's pure or fugly.

Quote Originally Posted by Wknd_Warrior View Post
    there are blade versus cavity back threads all over the internet, there's just no reason at all to hijack this thread with a troll post
    Troll post? Is that really what you took from my reply? I was merely suggesting the question most people should ask themselves is "Am I having fun?" instead of "Do I suck?" which is kinda pointless and self-defeating.

And I shared my own experience of being generally unhappy playing a "game" that should be fun, and the inkling that it might have something to do with equipment, peer pressure and similar things for a lot of folks. It's kind of ironic that you took umbrage with the comment about blades and the purists that tend to play them, unless you were trying to prove that point...

So, in an attempt to be clearer and less trolly...the clubs you use are irrelevant - the attitude you bring with you to the course is...

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    My last four rounds were 84, 82, 86, 86 after a ridiculously great start and getting my cap under 3.5 for the first time in years. To top it off on 17 at eq sat I tweaked my back on my tee ball and haven't been able to walk or sit since tues morning. FML

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    My last four rounds were 84, 82, 86, 86 after a ridiculously great start and getting my cap under 3.5 for the first time in years. To top it off on 17 at eq sat I tweaked my back on my tee ball and haven't been able to walk or sit since tues morning. FML
    Brutal news..Have you been to the doctor?

I highly recommend an inversion table to help with back issues - better than going to the chiropractor (unless you find a good one).

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    Yeah it's a yearly golf injury for me, I've had a bad back for years but every year I give it one real good throw out. I've seen my chiro twice and it's helped immensely. Thought about inversion tables...

Eagle mizzyboy is on a distinguished road
    Tough to hear about your back, ironic that your profile pic is Freddie though. Later in the round, my lower back sometimes aches so I am weary of the amount of drivers or practice swings I take. Anyone know what exercises or stretches to do mid round to keep the lower back loose?

This year, I am trying to be more consistent from tee to green. There are those tough rounds where I am striking the ball well and I can't seem to putt or vice versa. Hitting the ball well makes the game fun but definitely tests your patience when your short game isn't quite there. I generally shoot in the low to mid 80's and only play on the weekends but have shot in the high 70's twice this year, so for the amount I play I am happy. But of course we all want to get better right?
    Go Sens Go or No Sens No? The struggle of a Sens fan.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Yeah it's a yearly golf injury for me, I've had a bad back for years but every year I give it one real good throw out. I've seen my chiro twice and it's helped immensely. Thought about inversion tables...
    Still pumping iron? If so there must be one or 2 exercises you are not doing properly or need to stay away from.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

I moved my ball up in my stance and take a much shallower divot these days I don't even play my wedges back of center anymore, I don't care how many bad shots I hit. The last time I pulled my back it took half an hour of courage just to get out of bed. My game hates me but my back thanks me. I was a big delofted digger, and the change has been hell and I didn't take it seriously enough. I'm glad I did it though, I've been years now without a back injury.

Quote Originally Posted by SnazzyD View Post
    And I shared my own experience of being generally unhappy playing a "game" that should be fun, and the inkling that it might have something to do with equipment, peer pressure and similar things for a lot of folks.
    ok

Quote Originally Posted by SnazzyD View Post
    It's kind of ironic that you took umbrage with the comment about blades and the purists that tend to play them, unless you were trying to prove that point...
    please stop

Lob Wedge mehavenomemo is on a distinguished road mehavenomemo's Avatar
    I always do, and never ever are two games consistant.. But I enjoy the fresh air, and being able to laugh at my Best Buddy, as he laughs at me..

Wannamaker stevek is on a distinguished road stevek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mizzyboy View Post
    Anyone know what exercises or stretches to do mid round to keep the lower back loose?
    Laying on your back on a flat hard surface (bench) and pressing your lower back into the surface and holding it for a minute. Repeat a few times, maybe once a hole for a few. This worked for me and also seems to prevent the spasm issues I've had in the past. (Oh, that and/or Anaprox (Aleve))
    "Only one man in a thousand is a leader of men...
    the other 999 follow women." - Groucho Marx

Thread Information