• No

45 33.33%
  • NoT sure

12 8.89%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DenisO View Post
    After this morning's round at the Tunis qualifier, I think I definitely suck. No idea what I was thinking starting off, without it I might have stood a chance
    http://quebec.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/.../scorecard.htm
    looks like one of my rounds of late, well, not the 77 or 33 part but crappy front, strong back. Still a decent result considering you could have packed it in after the front.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    The following was posted on GEA a couple of days ago and is relevant to this thread. As someone who alternates between very good and terrible at golf (sometimes on the same hole!) it's a good message.

Remember, none of us here are making a living playing golf.

Dear Younger Me:

I can’t play golf anymore. I tried to swing the club the other day, but my body wouldn’t cooperate. The best I can do now is sometimes take walks on the course, but my eyes aren’t as good as they used to be so I don’t see much. I have a lot of time to sit and think now, and I often think about the game.

It was my favorite game. I played most of my adult life. Thousands of rounds, thousands of hours practicing. As I look back, I guess I had a pretty good time at it. But now that I can’t do it anymore, I wish I had done it differently.

It’s funny, but with all the time I spent playing golf, I never thought I was a real golfer. I never felt good enough to really belong out there. It doesn’t make much sense, since I scored better than average and a lot of people envied my game, but I always felt that if I was just a little better or a little more consistent, then I’d feel really good. I’d be satisfied with my game. But I never was. It was always “One of these days I’ll get it” or “One day I’ll get there” and now here I am. I can’t play anymore, and I never got there.

I met a whole lot of different people out on the course. That was one of the best things about the game. But aside from my regular partners and a few others, I don’t feel like I got to know many of those people very well. I know they didn’t really get to know me. At times they probably didn’t want to. I was pretty occupied with my own game most of the time and didn’t have much time for anyone else, especially if I wasn’t playing well.

So why am I writing you this letter anyway, just to complain? Not really. Like I said, my golfing experience wasn’t that bad. But it could have been so much better, and I see that so clearly now. I want to tell you, so you can learn from it. I don’t want you getting to my age and feeling the same regrets I’m feeling now.

I wish, I wish. Sad words, I suppose, but necessary. I wish I could have played the game with more joy, more freedom. I was always so concerned with “doing it right” that I never seemed to be able to enjoy just doing it at all. I was so hard on myself, never satisfied, always expecting more. Who was I trying to please? Certainly not myself, because I never did. If there were people whose opinions were important enough to justify all that self-criticism, I never met them.

I wish I could have been a better playing partner. I wasn’t a bad person to be with, really, but I wish I had been friendlier and gotten to know people better. I wish I could have laughed and joked more and given people more encouragement. I probably would have gotten more from them, and I would have loved that. There were a few bad apples over the years, but most of the people I played with were friendly, polite, and sincere. They really just wanted to make friends and have a good time. I wish I could have made more friends and had a better time.

I’m inside a lot now and I miss the beauty of the outdoors. For years when I was golfing I walked through some of the most beautiful places on earth, and yet I don’t feel I really saw them. Beautiful landscapes, trees, flowers, animals, the sky, and the ocean – how could I have missed so much? What was I thinking of that was so important – my grip, my backswing, my stance? Sure, I needed to think about those sometimes, but so often as to be oblivious to so much beauty? And all the green – the wonderful, deep, lush color of green! My eyes are starting to fail. I wish I had used them better so I would have more vivid memories now.

So what is it that I’m trying to say? I played the type of game that I thought I should play, to please the type of people that I thought I should please. But it didn’t work. My game was mine to play, but I gave it away. It’s a wonderful game. Please, don’t lose yours. Play a game that you want to play. Play a game that gives you joy and satisfaction and makes you a better person to your family and friends. Play with enthusiasm, play with freedom. Appreciate the beauty of nature and the people around you. Realize how lucky you are to be able to do it. All too soon your time will be up, and you won’t be able to play anymore. Play a game that enriches your life.

Best wishes . . . don't waste a minute of golf . . . someday it will be gone!

Signed,

Me

**Excerpt from Extraordinary Golf by Fred Shoemaker.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    I totally suck. I have played well twice in my life, and even then, not for the whole 18 holes. But I enjoy every single minute out there. I learned a long time ago that of course its more fun when you're playing well, but I am determined to have fun regardless. Its my leisure time and I'd better enjoy it!
    Andrew

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    The following was posted on GEA a couple of days ago and is relevant to this thread. As someone who alternates between very good and terrible at golf (sometimes on the same hole!) it's a good message.

Remember, none of us here are making a living playing golf.
    I like it, I like it.
    You only get out of something what you put into it

3 Wood triple-bogey is on a distinguished road triple-bogey's Avatar
    My name is triple-bogey, and I suck at golf. Teeing-off on 17 today, I had the potential for the best round of my (short) golf like. I doubled 17 and tripled 18. Carded a 92.
    Is the Pope catholic? Does a bear crap in the woods? Does Ricky Fowler wear orange on finals Sunday?

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Lesson: Never consider the 'great score' you are going to finish with on the 17th or 18th tee. It is certain death.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

3 Wood triple-bogey is on a distinguished road triple-bogey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
    Lesson: Never consider the 'great score' you are going to finish with on the 17th or 18th tee. It is certain death.
    Amen to that...
    Is the Pope catholic? Does a bear crap in the woods? Does Ricky Fowler wear orange on finals Sunday?

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Been there. Done that. Got the scorecards.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

President's Cup Wknd_Warrior is on a distinguished road Wknd_Warrior's Avatar
    I have to know lol, I can't pretend I don't know where I stand. I say just try to step up to the plate and get it done!

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Of course I suck at golf, but I look good doing it....

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    Of course I suck at golf, but I look good doing it....

That's because you drink. Golf goggles.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fundonny View Post
    That's because you drink. Golf goggles.
    Shhhhhh!!

Wannamaker stevek is on a distinguished road stevek's Avatar
    I suck soooo much at golf that;

1: My instructor recently said; "ok, this isn't working perhaps we should go back to your old swing and tweak it"

(Can't recall my old swing)

2: My instructor then said; "you should consider this a lost year of golf"

(which it is and I do)

3: My match play partner (after telling me I was only there for my putting) decided he should hit our second on 17 from 155 yards out instead me hitting his drive from 100.
    (I did sink a 30 foot putt and my playing partner only had to putt three times all day because of conceded putts)

4: Our competitor told my playing partner that he played pretty good and should consider getting a new partner for next year.
    (*hole of the club)
    "Only one man in a thousand is a leader of men...
    the other 999 follow women." - Groucho Marx

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    I'm not sure if I suck at golf but I suck at putting. Its been a trying year for the putter, good days and a lot of bad days. Its frutrating that when evrything else seems to be going right that the shortest and easiest stick to hit in the bag gives you the most problems. On a positive note,I just saw Scott Hoch miss a very short putt at the 89 Masters to lose to Faldo. Makes me feel better. LOL

2 Iron scanner_66 is on a distinguished road scanner_66's Avatar
    JV, that was a great read, I need to read that monthly, sometimes more.

Birdie Husband is on a distinguished road
    I voted no, but after this month I feel like I do. I'm anything but consistent!

Forum Jedi Weazl is on a distinguished road Weazl's Avatar
    Thanks for posting JV. Great piece. So true!
    Lots of yoga pants these days, not enough Yoga!

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    Good read JV! Thank for posting.

I took a hiatus from golf for the last two years due to lack of time(new baby 19 months ago. I recently got back into golf after moving back to Ottawa and having more friends available to play. My work schedule also allows me to golf more as I have every second month off. So I joined Clublink and played a few rounds before I left. I think I played 6 or 7 rounds before I left..Never scoring better than an 83. I do play for fun, but doing some of the things I am doing now on the course compared to when I was in the mid to low 70's is very frustrating. Hopefully things will turn around with more play this Fall and a full season next year!

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    One month on one month off, interesting schedule!

Gap Wedge Magician is on a distinguished road
    Of course I suck.... Just don't tell any good looking ladies.

Forum Jedi golfisforfun is on a distinguished road
    Golf is the only sport people continue to play even if they do suck at it...
    People who are REALLY bad at golf continue to play and if it was a different sport, there is no way they would stick with it.
    Seriously, if you suck at skiing, you will crash and could kill yourself.
    If you suck at tennis, you can't return a ball and the point ends right away.
    If you suck at baseball, you can't hit a ball, so what's the point.
    If you suck at hockey, well, you play for the Leafs.

Putter Downtown is on a distinguished road
    What makes golf different is that you are playing against yourself. Depending on your outlook, it only takes one good shot to make the round worthwhile. Do that everytime you go out and you'll keep doing it. As you get better your expectations change and it may take more than a couple of good shots but there will always be something to enjoy. It also helps that golf has many parts, so when your putting sucks, you can still have a great chip onto the green. When your chipping sucks your putting may be hot. A bad drive could be followed by a great approach shot and vice versa.

For the record I also suck at golf but I can still amaze my playing partners with my shots... even if I struggle with some of them.

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    A golfing buddy of mine told me that when he goes out, all he is looking for is to hit that one perfect shot. Never thought about it that way.
    He has been playing for over 40 years and still hasnt found his game.LOL. Makes sense to me now.

Scratch Player byerxa is on a distinguished road byerxa's Avatar
    Of course I suck, but it is all relative. I am still able bodied and can go out and walk 18 holes and enjoy the round. Every once in a while I break 80 and think that maybe I don't suck, just so that I can dream for the day!
    I don't have an ulcer - I am just a carrier.

7 Iron sliceleft is on a distinguished road
    Three rules of golf:
    Remember your good shots. Forget your bad shots. Spend more money.

After my first round of the year yesterday, more than ever !!!!

I have not played yet and as a result Im a danger to society.

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    Right now I'm awesome at golf. Right now I'm also above the legal limit.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Twice this year Ive quit after 5 holes bc I'd seen enough.

Twice after 9 holes Ive declined to keep playing bc I ended the 9th hole with a birdie or par

Twice this year Ive won matches against better players bc they sucked more than I did that day.

Yes confidence is low atm.

Albatross goliath is on a distinguished road goliath's Avatar
    Guess well see tomorrow. First round of the year. I don't think I suck but it could be a lot better.

Thread Information