100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Putter polymath is on a distinguished road

New Here & New to Golf

Hi everyone,

Came across this site while doing some research on golf courses in Ottawa.

I'm "verrrry" new to golf... still learning the jargon and rules and taking a couple of lessons to learn the basics.

Going to buy my first set of clubs sometime this week and looking for advice on that too (thread posted in the equipment section).

Lastly, is there a golf course you'd recommend for someone like me who doesn't want to disturb others' games and also not find the course overly challenging.

Thanks for the help and I look forward to chatting with everyone here.

1 Iron CaptainHook is on a distinguished road CaptainHook's Avatar
    Welcome to the forums!

I too am relatively new to the board. Keep an eye on the classifieds section here, some good deals come up and you may be able to pick up a lightly used set of irons/driver/putter from one of the resident club ho's who need something newer. That way you're getting good quality stuff on the cheaper end of things to really cut your teeth and see if this is something you want to invest so much time and effort in to.

As for beginner courses, White Sands in Orleans and Dunnderosa Golf Club in Chelsea are both par 3 courses which are fantastic courses to practice on, are fairly new golfer friendly (try to avoid peak hours as thats when you'll run in to the dudes who think they're the next Tiger or Phil. Another option is to spend some time at Kevin Haimes Golf Center on Hazeldean. Great covered driving range, as well as grass tees, chipping area, bunkers and putting green. Reasonably priced as well.

Check out the daily deal thread on here to as you can come across some decent prices on some courses in the area just by being a member to this forum.

Team Match Play Champ 2012 sebber is on a distinguished road sebber's Avatar
    Courses like Hammond, Bearbrook and a few other's will offer a great place to start! Dont be shy to play from the forward or even senior tees when you start.
    Captain of the Back to Back Ryder Cup Champs 12-13!

Thanks for the replies CaptainHook and sebber... I'll surely look into the courses you've suggested - and yes, it's a little difficult to get over the initial embarrassment hurdle of not knowing / not doing the right thing.

Medalist imozzie is on a distinguished road imozzie's Avatar
    Some great advice provided by the others here. And, if I may add one other piece - don't be afraid or embarrassed to let others who come up behind you play through. The game will be a lot more enjoyable for you and those playing with you if you don't rush your game simply because you're feeling pushed. There is no embarrassment in letting others play through for we all understand as we all started at the same place. Indeed, it is part of the etiquette of the game - and leads to better scores and overall enjoyment of the game by all concerned.
    "If profanity had any influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be a lot easier than it is" - Horace Hutchinson (1903)

Hybrid TLB is on a distinguished road
    I would respectfully amend the above advice slightly; it depends entirely on the course activity/pace around you (in front and behind). In other words, if you are a bit slow and it is open in front of you, and there is a group waiting behind you for every shot - you could let them through. But if the course is busy, and there are more foursomes right behind the one you let through, you really don't accomplish anything by letting them through because it just slows everything down even more, and then you are back in the same position - the next group(s) behind you are waiting to get through.

What I'm trying to say is this: if there is only one group waiting behind you, let them through. But if there are more groups behind them, then pick up the pace and stay up with the group in front of you. If that means picking up your ball or abandoning a search for a lost ball - so be it. On a busy course - with a foursome teeing off every 8 minutes or so - a slow group can drag the entire course down to a 5 - 6 hour round. Letting a group through in this case will only slow things down even more.
    Last edited by TLB; 06-11-2012 at 09:23 PM.

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    Capital & Raceview , are good beginner tracks too .
    But spend some time at the range first , this is a very humbling and frustrating game (but the best one on the planet )
    You need to practice all the shots before you hit the links , maybe see if there are some beginner clinics at the driving ranges , you'll benefit most from these .
    But most of all , have fun , don't beat up on yourself , it takes years to get better , but if your up for the challenge , you enjoy every minute of it .
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

Thanks imozzie, TLB and Wilster for the advice and pointers. Much appreciated.

I've booked two new golfer lessons at Canadian Golf & Country Club... hopefully, these will help me get started - and then I'll use the driving range on my own to get some practice before attempting a 9-hole game. Sounds like a good plan in my head

Thread Information