100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Lob Wedge thebirdieman is on a distinguished road

penalty for asking club choice

Ok so i know that you cannot ask an opponent what club he just used if you are shooting next... but how about this situation.

john has club in hand and tees his ball up. bill asks john what club he is hitting. 2 (strokes?) john replies, 6 iron (2 strokes to john?) bill says, wow, and walks away. is this 2 strokes to each and a case of bad etiquette on bills behalf?
    i could only find in the rules, that its a penalty if you ask someone what club they just hit. help me out so maybe i can tell bill to take a walk.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road
    Even if you ask before a stoke is made it is asking advice. It doesn't specify in the rules if it's before or after a stroke. If both have played their shot it is then no penalty to ask what club the player had used.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    What if you bs Bill and tell him you just hit a 9 wood but in reality you used a 5 wood?
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road
    8-1/9
    Misleading Statement About Club Selection

Q.A made a statement regarding his club selection which was purposely misleading and was obviously intended to be overheard by B, who had a similar shot. What is the ruling?

A.A was in breach of Rule 8-1 and lost the hole in match play or incurred a two-stroke penalty in stroke play.

Quote Originally Posted by AAA View Post
    8-1/9
    Misleading Statement About Club Selection

Q.A made a statement regarding his club selection which was purposely misleading and was obviously intended to be overheard by B, who had a similar shot. What is the ruling?

A.A was in breach of Rule 8-1 and lost the hole in match play or incurred a two-stroke penalty in stroke play.
    A made the misleading statement after he hit his shot after B asked him what club he hit?

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Avoid all penalties, just look in his bag (but do not touch it) and see which club he has.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

3 Wood ex-mailman is on a distinguished road
    lefty that is why there is a BIG towel over my bag!!!

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ex-mailman View Post
    lefty that is why there is a BIG towel over my bag!!!
    I thought of that, i can see right through the towel but I am still working on a less obtrusive pair
    Attached Images
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post
    A made the misleading statement after he hit his shot after B asked him what club he hit?
    then there's no penalty. you can ask/give advice after both players make their shots, according to the decisions rulings on advice that i read.
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    then there's no penalty. you can ask/give advice after both players make their shots, according to the decisions rulings on advice that i read.
    I don't see anything in Chieflongtee's post that suggests that B has made his shot.

If A made a misleading statement either before or after he made his stroke but before B makes a stroke then A is penalised.

Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post
    In that case B also gets a two stroke penalty.

sorry i thought B had hit his as well.

Team Match Play Champ 2011 quinner is on a distinguished road quinner's Avatar
    Does anyone else find it weird that giving the wrong information (knowingly I assume) that you get penalized? I suppose it's there for the integrity of the game, but really?

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Unlike poker, misleading your opponent in golf is considered gaining an unfair advantage.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Quote Originally Posted by quinner View Post
    Does anyone else find it weird that giving the wrong information (knowingly I assume) that you get penalized? I suppose it's there for the integrity of the game, but really?
    You have a 10 foot putt for a 4. Your opponent tells you he has holed for 4. It turns out he holed in 6. Weird?

You have a 10 foot putt for a 4. Your opponent tells you he has holed for 4. It turns out he holed in 6. Weird?
    It would actually make golf very werid. I wouldn't believe a word anybody said to me, ever.

Sportsmanship? Gone.

Gamesmanship? It's on!

Forum Jedi golfisforfun is on a distinguished road
    Who cares what club your opponent hits!!!
    I would have no problem telling my opponent after every shot what club i used... Because unless he swings at the same speed, with the same launch angle, with the same ball, with the same contact, with the same loft on his irons, it will not matter!
    To get proper info, you would need to say:
    What club did you hit?
    What loft is that club?
    What ball do you use?
    Did you swing 100%
    Did you catch it on the sweet spot?
    Did you play it back in your stance?
    Ok good, now i can figure out what I will do...

Habitual poster OutOfTheRough is on a distinguished road OutOfTheRough's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by quinner View Post
    So I guess using covers for your irons and putting them on different clubs is out of the question. Lol.
    Proud member of the 2012 OG vs TGN Ryder Cup winning team

You need not worry Tim, you hit it so far that knowing what club you hit would be useless!!
    Lefty Lucas

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by golfisforfun View Post
    I would have no problem telling my opponent after every shot what club i used... Because unless he swings at the same speed, with the same launch angle, with the same ball, with the same contact, with the same loft on his irons, it will not matter!
    To get proper info, you would need to say:
    What club did you hit?
    What loft is that club?
    What ball do you use?
    Did you swing 100%
    Did you catch it on the sweet spot?
    Did you play it back in your stance?
    Ok good, now i can figure out what I will do...
    actually I don't need any of that. If i know how far he hits it compared to me, knowing the club can help a lot, especially if it is short, long, or stiff.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Au contraire. Knowing what club my OPP/FC used, is often of significant help in determining my club choice. That's why the rule exists.

So me hitting 8 iron from 140 would help you? How?

well if you hit your 9 130 two holes earlier and I hit my pw the same, safe to say your 8 from 140 would be more like my 9. Taking into consideration whether you made a full swing and made clean contact. Its more than nothing right? Wouldn't rely too heavily on it, but it could help when deciding between clubs.

Guess I just play my own game and trust my feelings and instincts for what club to hit...
    Like I said, and you confirmed, you would be assuming I took a full swing, made perfect contact, played my usual ball flight, didn't choke up, hit a draw or fade each time etc... Lots of variables, and based on the fact that I hit my 8 from 140-150 I don't think you'd get much valuable info....

I have never once wanted to know what someone else hit so that I could decide what I should hit.

What you are saying makes sense. You should know your club distances. But if you know the other guy and are playing competitively, you can learn from his shots. If you are lobbying between a 6 or a 7 iron and you overhear your opponent saying he hit a 6, and it was pin high, and his swing looked good, sounded right, and you have been hitting similar to him all day, then it helps. Most people do play their own game, but the point here was whether it helps. And there wouldn't be a rule if it didn't. If you are just playing for fun then you don't need the advantage anyways. Better off trusting your gut in the end.

I have never once wanted to know what someone else hit so that I could decide what I should hit.
    Just poking you. And you never watched the putt line from your playing partners
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Do you use a range finder? With their use and if you are consistent with your club to club yardages, then it would unlikely help your club selection if you knew what others hit. However, in the "olden" days, when yardages were uncertain, it would definitely help some.

Team Match Play Champ 2011 quinner is on a distinguished road quinner's Avatar
    Sorry I was alluding more to club selection. I completely understand when asking that there must be a legitimate answer. But club selection I don't really get.

So you must not lie about what club you hit... But can you say "I hit 7 iron but caught it a bit thin and off the toe..."

Thread Information