100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Scratch Player byerxa is on a distinguished road byerxa's Avatar

Question Driver head weight vs. shaft weight

Ashton Golf has released its new MS-5 driver head and they have a HW (heavy weight) version that comes in around 207g. I am planning (eventually) to build a driver with a finished length of 44" (max) and swing weight coming in around D2. Since I don't like weighting up a head too much with tape, hosel weight, etc., my options are a) heavier shaft (75-80g) or b) heavier head.

My question is this:
    Given my average swing speed (95ish), average tempo, average trajectory, straight/slight draw ball flight, would I be better with a standard 198g head with a +70g shaft (e.g., Accuflex Evo or MCC MFS75), or a 205g head with a 65g shaft (e.g., SK Fiber LR1 or AccuFlex VS399)? Anyone have experience fiddling with such wieght combos?

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by byerxa
    Ashton Golf has released its new MS-5 driver head and they have a HW (heavy weight) version that comes in around 207g. I am planning (eventually) to build a driver with a finished length of 44" (max) and swing weight coming in around D2. Since I don't like weighting up a head too much with tape, hosel weight, etc., my options are a) heavier shaft (75-80g) or b) heavier head.

My question is this:
    Given my average swing speed (95ish), average tempo, average trajectory, straight/slight draw ball flight, would I be better with a standard 198g head with a +70g shaft (e.g., Accuflex Evo or MCC MFS75), or a 205g head with a 65g shaft (e.g., SK Fiber LR1 or AccuFlex VS399)? Anyone have experience fiddling with such wieght combos?
    1. 52 g grip, 198 g head, 46" raw shaft length, 75 g shaft weight, 44" club length
    Swingweight C7.6

2. 52 g grip, 205 g head, 46" raw shaft length, 75 g shaft weight, 44" club length
    Swingweight D 1.8

3. 52 g grip, 205 g head, 46" raw shaft length, 65 g shaft weight, 44" club length
    Swingweight D 0.3

I used the Chicage Swingweight calculator.

To narrow this down even better using my own calculations, I would need the balance point of the grip and the balance point of the shaft, however, the above seems to be a good estimate.

Scratch Player byerxa is on a distinguished road byerxa's Avatar
    BC MIST:
    Thanks for the numbers but I have already done my estimates (which, of course, pretty well match yours). I was more wondering if anybody has actually hit a large head driver (400+cc) with a heavy (205+g) head weight to gain desired swingweight as opposed to using a heavier shaft and a more standard (198g) head weight.

Although I won't be building this until late spring/early summer, I am sort of leaning towards the MS-5 HW head (207g) with a SK Fiber LR1 at about 44" finished. Someone sort of nicknamed this type of club a "Thriver", and I feel the bang-for-buck on this combo would be very high. My other choice is the X-1 head (or a SMT 455 DB) (standard 198g) with a MCC Apache MFS75 (75g) shaft.

Just curious ramblings helping to get me through the winter!

Thread Information