CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Asaillant

Setting up a sim room

Hello,

I did a lot of research on the web and I am very confused now. I am looking into investing about 20-20 k into a sim room (already have the computer and room ready). I am not very good at golf (new thing) play around 110-115 but looking to improve to 90 or so. My 7 year old boy took is first course (with me and my wife) and we all love it. Given is interest in this new family activity I am considering this option. I alway wanted a sim since in Quebec City, golf season is very short... summer minus rainy weekends and vacation days dont leave you much time to play.

That been said, i am looking for the sim hardware that will really help us improve our game into a driving rang sim, so we need the club path just like the ball path (i tend to hit behind the ball with an open face and thus slice a lot... need to see that on the screen). I am also looking for top notch graphics to keep the interest into my son into the game.

Software must also be fast. We are all right hand players and room is 15 * 22 and 10 feet high.

I came down to 2 options for the hardware.
    1) GC2 (both modules)
    2) pro tee

Planning to put a minibay at 500 $ for impact screen

Not sure between Divot action mat system or True strick matt. also the real feel matt seems interesting with the fact is support to take down hits and takes tee's.

Dont care about the looks of the room, so i am not looking into turn key system... rather invest in the best technology to improve our game, be the most accurate and have fun with amazing graphics.

Dont care about paying extra for courses.... dont plan to buy many courses since most of my time will be spent at the driving range sim and for the family 10 courses or so is plenty.... I only play 1 course all summer (real course) and I am happy with it.

I think the GC2 with true strike matt would be best for us because I think my son (and me) could detroy the divot action mat system. Also the GC2 seem to be complet and very easy to install.

any advice?

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    Are you looking for club, ball info or both? If both, the GC2 will not give you club data unless you get the HMT which I don't think is ready yet. GC2 is more portable. Protee is a more permanent setup.

Asaillant

GC2 HMT is ready

Quote Originally Posted by bubba22 View Post
    Are you looking for club, ball info or both? If both, the GC2 will not give you club data unless you get the HMT which I don't think is ready yet. GC2 is more portable. Protee is a more permanent setup.
    I spoke with them, the GC2 HMT is ready and yes I am looking for both, I think it is important if the main goal is to improve the game, not just to play.

So is there any system better than the other one? if not, how about the combo aspect? I mean the fact that with GC2 I can get a truestrike matt and cannot with protee. Will the divotaction matt with protee provide a same, better or worst experience?

Remember, my goal is to improve my game, not to play with a flaw in my swing all winter and not to notice it because of the matt or hardware limitations and only realise on the course 8 month later that i have developped a bad habbit all winter.

I am very confused and I dont want to make a 25K mistake. They seem both good but I cannot try them before I buy... no one has demo system here.... I live in a @@@ hole.

bye

Postaholic CPA is on a distinguished road
    Asaillant

no-one has tested the HMT accuraccy but given the accuraccy of GC2 it should be pretty good. Foresight are about the only company in this game who publish ( and so guarantee ) their accuracy tolerances.

I had the same goal as you- dont stuff up the summer game. To do that you have to hit off turf or something pretty close. The users of this forum have put up the truestrike gel and realfeel mat as fairway substitutes.

To use these mats you need a GC2, Trackman3, Flightscope X2 or fixed camera system.

I went with the Truestrike Gel and GC2 option. No regrets, it is improving my game. Obviously do not have the HMT. Email Cory at Par2Pro as he is in the know about the new software for the GC2.

The GC2 is so easy to set up and no adjustments, you will not be disappointed. Remember to get the protective cradle.

Asaillant

good info

Quote Originally Posted by CPA View Post
    Asaillant

no-one has tested the HMT accuraccy but given the accuraccy of GC2 it should be pretty good. Foresight are about the only company in this game who publish ( and so guarantee ) their accuracy tolerances.

I had the same goal as you- dont stuff up the summer game. To do that you have to hit off turf or something pretty close. The users of this forum have put up the truestrike gel and realfeel mat as fairway substitutes.

To use these mats you need a GC2, Trackman3, Flightscope X2 or fixed camera system.

I went with the Truestrike Gel and GC2 option. No regrets, it is improving my game. Obviously do not have the HMT. Email Cory at Par2Pro as he is in the know about the new software for the GC2.

The GC2 is so easy to set up and no adjustments, you will not be disappointed. Remember to get the protective cradle.
    Cool, will do so....I will probably do like you have.... GC2 with HMT and truestrike Gel.

In therms of hardware, i understand that Trackman3 is superior but has crappy software sim but I know lillte about Flightscope X2. is this any good, does it track ball and club? Does it have cool graphics software?

Can I suggest you get a dual camera setup for V1 or similar. I think video analysis is actually more important than the HMT as with the GC2 you can get a good idea of swing path and clubface without the lighter wallet.

At the moment I am testing the swingbyte for 3d club data.

Quote Originally Posted by Asaillant View Post
    In therms of hardware, i understand that Trackman3 is superior but has crappy software sim but I know lillte about Flightscope X2. is this any good, does it track ball and club? Does it have cool graphics software?

Both use E6 software. As they use dopplar radar there are questions re accuracy indoors.
    Both do lefties easily but need more space than the GC2. I think your 22 feet may be just short. Stick to the GC2 and V1.

I think the GC2 is a good choice but let's be real here, there is absolutely no mat that will substitute for real grass. I would't say suggest forgetting about the HMT but least as CPA sayss adding video capture will help. What is your handicap? May I suggest working on your short game to help with lowering scores. I love the club feed back with the Protee. My handicap has stayed the same but th sim has helped me to really work on fades and draws with my club path and face angles. The GC2 is a solid choice but in reallity they are all good options.

Andisblue
    If you have the cash, gc2 is going to be a more accurate tool, just due to the nature of the technology ("20,000 fps" cameras). Protee will accommodate both handed players and is much cheaper.

I have fixed my drive on the gc2 and have really enjoyed it. It does nothing for my chipping and putting. During my time using it (2 months), I have dropped my score from 110's on a good day, to 94 on a good day.

Ace wbealsd is on a distinguished road
    My two cents, once you can get the ball in the air consistently, real game improvement centers on chipping and putting.

Quote Originally Posted by wbealsd View Post
    My two cents, once you can get the ball in the air consistently, real game improvement centers on chipping and putting.

Completely agree wbealsd. The short game for most amateurs (and pros at that) is the most important area that needs improvement and will help lower the scores. Work on the ball striking for sure but don't forget the chipping and putting.

Which is part of the theory of the coach of the 10,000 hours bloke. He started with a putter with 1 ft putts and it was only this year he was able to use a driver.

In the Zone syhlif32 is on a distinguished road
    I had regressed a little in my game until the last months where I have practiced a lot.
    Had one round this year of 81 which was a fluke! At least I have not been able to get down there again.
    Only other round under 85 was a day I had forgot to bring the driver and scored a 84!
    Still spend way to much time on practicing the driver but my focus is on the short game.
    I practice the wedges and even putting on the Protee. Using the Dave Pelz short game system works well with the simulator as I have adjusted the software to get exactly the same distances as I get on the course.
    With putting I practice keeping the face square and getting the right speed.

So basically I use the Protee as a drive range and a practice green. I do use the courses. It is more fun to hit into a green than just a flag on a simulated drive range.

I will go out on a limp and say that if you score +90-100 you will be better of with an Optishot than a GC2!
    You have to learn to square up the club head, hit the ball on the club head center and get a repeatable club head path.
    Get a lesson with a Pro once a week and in 6-12 months you will be ready to upgrade to a more accurate simulator or launch monitor and understand and react to the feedback you get.
    At that time you will also better know if playing the simulator courses are important to you and the family or not.

Which simulator are the most accurate really does not mean much if you can't hit the greens and fairways anyway!

He is getting HMT for the GC2 so he will get accurate club head data and impact position.

Yes this would help those without a swing already ( or bad swing)

Asaillant
    He is getting HMT for the GC2 so he will get accurate club head data and impact position.

Yes this would help those without a swing already ( or bad swing)
    Indeed, I would have not gone for the GC2 without the HMT since I know my biggest problem is the club face at the impact. I know it caused by a faulty swing... I take lessons outside right now and yes the instructor will also come in my house this winter to work with me with the GC2 (like once every 2 weeks for a few weeks). I think it`s a even better way to learn and practice.

I intend to use the system for my short and long game but I dont see this helping much for putting...i think it`s better to practice on a real putting green and see the ball rolling.

Thank you all for the advice, I am very happy with the advices I got from all of you!

Good luck Asaillant and please keep us posted especially with the HMT when you get it.

Hall of Fame ZMax is on a distinguished road
    And you know this how?

The GC2 will provide accurate shot shapes and has nothing to setup. Let us know how the HMT works out for you Asaillnt.

That he is getting it......from his first and second posts.

That it is accurate.....see my warning to him re not being tested but the practice of Foresight to publish accurately tolerances ie in specs here;

http://www.foresightsports.com/produ...ent-technology

Zmax, do you consider those tolerances too wide? What are other systems achieving?

In the Zone syhlif32 is on a distinguished road
    If you’re in the world of club fitting, you’ve no doubt heard of the flexibility and accuracy that the Zelocity PureLaunch launch monitor is known for.
    NOW… you can have P3ProSwing’s 99.9% accuracy seamlessly integrated with the unparalleled ball data from Zelocity.
    Does this above copied from P3Proswings webpage convince you to drop the GC2 and buy a P3Pro and a Zelocity. They have printed much better specs so it must be a much better product!

I assume Zmax's point is that HMT is not avaiable and the only video evidence showed club head info that just did not fit with ball flight.
    As of end of May you could not buy a HMT! I know that because a member in my golf club wanted the GC2 with HMT. But was told is was not available yet!

Shotmaker bubs3141 is on a distinguished road
    can p3pro get any worse teaming up with Zelocity? This move will make this company go straight down

Thread Information