CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Albatross goliath is on a distinguished road goliath's Avatar

Effects of using an xstiff shaft in a fairway wood

So I bought a 3 wood head and I need to shaft it. I was gonna get a stiff shaft but I just noticed that I have an xstiff shaft that will fit.

The shaft is a v2 xstiff in 96g.

I have a fairly fast ss with my driver hitting the 115-120mph when I push it. That being said I have a very smooth transition and don't load shafts very well which is why I took that shaft out of my driver and put a stiff shaft tipped.

What would be the problems I would face throwing that shaft in a 3 wood head?

Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road
    Get ready for a whole lot a speculating Nick.

The info you provided is next to nothing for any accurate assesment.

The 3w is THE most dificult club to fit , period !!

Tour players have spent hrs. and hrs. fine tuning whith diffrent shafts, lie angles, face angles, lofts, lenghts,...

Don't mean to sound abbrupt but that's the way it's done.

I figured it would be speculation just looking for an idea of what I would be getting myself in to. Would it be probe to hooks, slices, inconsistency?

I had a 3 wood last year but decided to sell it because I just didn't use it enough to be consistent but now that I play at Outaouais I need a 3 wood and it would get the use it deserves for me to have a very useful club in the bag. Right now I use a 17* hybrid and frankly I hit my 19* hybrid just as far but far more consistent so why keep 2 in the bag.

My swing is definitely getting better and far more repeatable which leads me to believe that at least having a 3 wood wouldn't be a horrible idea.

I will prob end up trying it but is there some things I should be aware of before I get myself in to this?

I will prob be setting it up to play shorter than standard at around 42" or less. I am just looking for consistency and decent distance.

My 19* hybrid is my 210 of the ground and 225-235 club off the tee so I am looking for just a bit more while staying consistent.
    Last edited by goliath; 05-21-2012 at 08:05 PM.

3 Wood stone_bone is on a distinguished road stone_bone's Avatar
    From your post it seems you are worried about the flex it will play to. It was pulled from a driver so since the 3 wood head is heavier it will play softer. The recommended tipping for a V2 is 0" with a driver and 1" for a 3 wood. You'd be basically soft stepping it. Granted I don't know the history of the shaft and if its already been tipped.
    [FONT=System][COLOR=DarkRed]
    [/COLOR][/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by stone_bone View Post
    From your post it seems you are worried about the flex it will play to. It was pulled from a driver so since the 3 wood head is heavier it will play softer. The recommended tipping for a V2 is 0" with a driver and 1" for a 3 wood. You'd be basically soft stepping it. Granted I don't know the history of the shaft and if its already been tipped.
    Thats good. If it plays a little softer that would be even better.

It hasnt been tipped before so this should work out. Well atleast in theory.

just a random question. Why do I always hear people wanting to play a stiffer shaft in fairway wood than they normally do in other clubs. Is it because of the heavier head?

So I went ahead with it and put the v2 shaft in a Mizuno F50 3 wood. So far I pleased. My misses are really not bad at all. Nothing out of this world. It doesnt go super far as its only 42" and this isnt a new head.

But holly this is hard to get the ball in the air. I have a pretty fast swing speed and never have any trouble flying everything really high but most of my shots with this club stay about 20-30 feet off the ground.

Distance is like I said not great but 230-250 is within reach on a nice smooth swing. Off the tee if it gets enough height it goes a little more but most of all I have kept all balls in play and if its not in the middle of the fairway its pretty close. And my approaches on the long par 5s are very easy to control. I hope it stays this way.

Pitching Wedge tortoise is on a distinguished road
    Sounds like a great club to play off the tee when faced with a stiff head-wind.

3 Wood stone_bone is on a distinguished road stone_bone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by goliath View Post
    It doesnt go super far as its only 42"
    Length does not have a significant impact on distance, even though everybody thinks this is the case. Longer = more distance

but sounds like its working for you.
    [FONT=System][COLOR=DarkRed]
    [/COLOR][/FONT]

Thread Information