100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar

Thumbs down Time is up! Part II

Just caught some of the ladies match play on TGC. One of the better known ladies (name escapes me at the moment) was assesed a penalty for taking too long. She went from 3 up to 1 up and at the end of 18 I think they were tied. Now Rules are Rules BUT... Two pairings on the course, and they were the last pair. Seems LPGA are focussing more on the Rules and less on common sense... IMHO.
    "All I need to know about life, I learned from my dog".

3 Wood ex-mailman is on a distinguished road
    She lost two holes to slow play?

3 Wood Shreen is on a distinguished road
    She won the hole. Then assessed slow play penalty which was loss of hole. So it was only one hole but seemed like 2. Morgan pressel btw

3 Wood ex-mailman is on a distinguished road
    Was she warned? Yes? then she is a fool!

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    Just caught some of the ladies match play on TGC. One of the better known ladies (name escapes me at the moment) was assesed a penalty for taking too long. She went from 3 up to 1 up and at the end of 18 I think they were tied. Now Rules are Rules BUT... Two pairings on the course, and they were the last pair. Seems LPGA are focussing more on the Rules and less on common sense... IMHO.
    In order for her to have been penalized, she would have had to have been warned earlier in the round. Sounds like a solid call to me.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Quote Originally Posted by ex-mailman View Post
    She lost two holes to slow play?
    Yes, I scratched my head too. If she was two up, and took the hole (three up), and was subsequently penalized, then she should still be two up, and not three up. But seems that she was two up, and "lost" the hole due to slow play, so she was down one from two up, equals one up. Math, nor Rules, never my strong suit. Perhaps one of the "Rules" guys on the Forum can explain.

Quote Originally Posted by ex-mailman View Post
    Was she warned? Yes? then she is a fool!
    Did not hear that part. Did hear comment about "30 seconds, and after the third shot something about 91 seconds. All Greek to me.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    Yes, I scratched my head too. If she was two up, and took the hole (three up), and was subsequently penalized, then she should still be two up, and not three up. But seems that she was two up, and "lost" the hole due to slow play, so she was down one from two up, equals one up. Math, nor Rules, never my strong suit. Perhaps one of the "Rules" guys on the Forum can explain.
    You seem to have it right Kiwi. She actually didn't win the 12th hole as she was penalized a loss of hole so ends up only 1 up after 12. They had been warned and told they were on the clock and she still took her sweet time. I watched it on Golf Central where they had quite the discussion about it and unfortunately she got what was deserved at the time. One of the comments was that Morgan probably thought they would do nothing. WRONG!!!! I sure hope this carries on to other tours as people are really sick of slow play. As they have the Pace of Play policy they can't ignore it even for the last group.

Hybrid TLB is on a distinguished road
    " ... On the 12th hole in the semifinal, Pressel had taken what appeared to be a 3-up lead with six to play. But LPGA Tour rules official and match timer, Doug Brecht informed Pressel on the 13th tee that she had broken the tour's pace of play — taking two minutes and nine seconds to play her three shots on the par-3 hole, instead of the alloted 90 seconds, after the group had been put on the clock. In match play, the penalty is a loss of a hole, giving the hole to Munoz and dropping Pressel's lead from 3-up to 1-up "

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    There was quite a lot of controversy surrounding this match, made even more interesting because these two players (Morgan Pressel and Azathara Munoz) are good friends on the tour:

http://www.lpga.com/golf/news/2012/5...nterviews.aspx

It seems to me that there are a lot of players that are "borderline" slow on both the PGA/LPGA tour, but they only get put "on the clock" when there are two or three of them in the same group. This group was at least 2 holes behind the group in front of them, and they still had the final to play in the afternoon.

Players on tour know that rules are rules regardless of the situation, and when you get warned for slow play then you better speed up. Munoz did and Pressel didn't. The penalty in match play is HUGE - which is all the more reason to heed the warning!

Shagging Balls DavidY is on a distinguished road DavidY's Avatar
    Immediately after the slow play warning, Pressel didn't look like she wanted to play quickly over her next three shots. She was puttering around before striking the ball....she didn't seem to care about the slow play warning and just played her own game (which was quite slow). She deserved the slow play penalty. No idea about the putting line issue....did her caddie agree with her on the 15th? She should have had her caddie watch her opponent soon after she had suspected the same issue in a much earlier hole. Seems a bit petty to me....should have just concentrated on her own game instead of wasting time and effort on her opponent. Expected a better effort from a former major winner.

Dave

Thread Information