CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: bermuda?

Putter sheila.gh is on a distinguished road

bermuda?

Has anyone here played in Bermuda?

I should give some background... I'm a travel agent, and I am sending some cruising clients to Bermuda with Celebrity Cruises for a week. Some folks are serious golfers, and some are beginners (taking advantage of a cruise sale). While I've been to Bermuda, I haven't golfed there (and my golfing clients haven't been there)...so I'm trying to find out more about the level of golfing from experts such as yourself.

I have googled, and while I've learned there are 9 world-class courses on that tiny island (supposed to be more golf courses/sq mi than anywhere else in the world), I'd like more personal reactions.

Has anyone played some or all of the courses? Might you be so kind to share your views? What did you think of them? Does one really stand out? Are they sufficiently challenging for advanced golfers? How would you rate them for beginners?

Thanks for any advice!
    Last edited by sheila.gh; 05-17-2012 at 08:09 AM.

Fairway Junkie Michael is on a distinguished road
    I have played in Bermuda, used to be a member at the Port Royal Club and it is worth a round for the serious players. For the beginners I would recommend the Fairmont Course, it is at the hotel and is a par three course. Othera of note are:

Tucker's Point (used to be called Castle Harbour years ago)
    Mid Ocean is great but private and I believe you need to go with a member
    Riddell's Bay is relatively short and close to Hamilton if the ships are docking there.

The 16th hole at Port Royal is probably one of the signature holes of the whole island. It is only a par 3 but depending on what tee box you play and what the wind is doing you can hit anything from a short iron to 3 wood !!!

Thank you so much! I really appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences. Will definitely pass on to my clients!

Out of Bounds shortdrive is on a distinguished road
    Port Royal is a very good golf course.As Michael has stated the 16th hole par 3 is spectacular

Thanks!

3 Wood funk-like is on a distinguished road
    I've been there a couple dozen times (my wife has a friend who lives there). I have played every course on the island. Here is my synopsis:

Mid Ocean - best course on the island - if you can play it, you should. Its expensive, but truly a great golf course. Difficult especially when the wind blows - which is often. You are supposed to play with a member, or if you are staying at a local hotel, they can get you a tee time. On the East side of the Island near the airport.

Port Royal - great course, less difficult than Mid Ocean, but still a tough track. Great views, and its a municipal (owned by the gov't) golf course - getting on is no problem. The 16th hole is truly one of the greatest par 3's in the world. On the West side of the Island.

Belmont - redone a few years ago - less expensive than the first 2, some great views and great holes- easy to get on - its public. I like it a lot - and play it a few times each time I go down. In the middle of the Island.

Tuckers Point - right beside Mid Ocean - very nice views, great golf course, but very pricey. I have only played it a couple of times with a member, so its cheaper that way - but the course itself is nice. I personally like Mid Ocean better, but these 2 are similar.

Riddells Bay - I have played it a couple of times. Its a short course, kind of quirky. Not as picturesque as the others above, and its private but they do allow outside play. I would play any of the 3 above, before I played this. Its expensive for what you get. The best deal here is that you can pay once and play all day - if you have the time.

Southampton Princess - one of the best par 3 courses in the world. Its not long, but the elevations and views are great. I would play this one if you don't have a lot of time. Located in the middle of the island.

Ocean View - public course - only 9 holes, but 2 sets of tees so you play it as 18. Not in great shape, not the best views, but cheap (relatively speaking). I would only play it if I could not get on anywhere else.

There is one named St. Georges but it has been closed for the past few years.

Good luck - the golf there in general is very good, but its expensive, so I would spend a bit more and play one of the top 4 mentioned here, because the experience will be memorable.

Thread Information