CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Jedi golfisforfun is on a distinguished road

Upcoming NHL Draft

What a strange draft this is going to be...
    Not a very strong draft to begin with...
    You have top prospects who have had knee surgeries, concussions, mono etc...
    You have more and more questions surrounding drafting Russians with top picks...
    You might have more teams willing to drop down in position than ever before...
    You have the Oilers picking first and needing a defenceman and the top prospect is a winger, so what do they do?
    You have all sorts of prospects, none of whom are expected to play in the NHL next year...

Can't wait to see what happens...

Being a Habs fan, I am hoping they drop down 3 or 4 spots by trading for a solid NHL player and use that pick to select Radek Faksa of the Kitchener Rangers, a 6'3, 205 lb centre who should reach 220+ lbs in a year or two...

Shagging Balls MattKanata is on a distinguished road MattKanata's Avatar
    I think Edmonton will pick Murray, they need a Defense and he's the best one out there. Dumba is a high risk player like Subban is. Columbus will go for Yakupov, they have no choice especially if they trade Nash. The fact that he played in Sarnia for the last 2 years helps alot compared to Russian bust like Filatov and Zherdev.
    As for Montreal (and I'm a huge Habs fan), they have to go with Forsberg. He's big, he played with men last year in Sweden, he would be a great compliment to Plekanec and Gionta. You move Bourque with Leblanc and Moen.
    The Wild card in all of this, Florida. Heard rumors that they are dangling Huberdeau to Mtl for the 3rd Round pick. Personally, I would do it in a flash. What do you think? I'm going to see him play this weekend in Shawinigan at the Mem Cup. Will give you more updates when I return if you want.

What I don't like us that Forsberg played in the Swedish 2nd division, not the Swedish Elite League, and that is not a very strong league.
    He is not at all ready for the NHL.
    The Habs need a guy like Parenteau to play with Gionta and Plekanec.
    Leblanc needs another year in Hamilton with Holland, Gallagher, Bournival and whoever their top pick is this year.

So my question for a Habs fan... If you could get Jonathan Bernier without giving up much to LA, would you trade Price for Nash?

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by golfisforfun View Post
    would you trade Price for Nash?
    No.

Absolutely not
    And u got to remember something about Forsberg. He's only 17 and the Swedish Elite League is a very strong league

He did not play in the Swedish Elite League...

I know he didn't play in the Swedish Elite League. I'm saying that the Division 2 league is pretty strong. Not many 17 yr old play in the Swedish Elite
    League

Bogie Kak is on a distinguished road
    I hope they pick Dumba, defenceman, good skater, smart, NHL shot, and........ Canadian

I do agree that another strong d-man would not be a bad move...
    Subban, Gorges, Dumba, Beaulieu, Ellis, Tinordi for the next 5 years would be nice along with a few veteran guys like Markov.
    But they would then have to sign some free agents who can score, guys who might actually worry goalies in a shootout. The Habs were so brutal in shootouts this year.
    I would like them to sign Parenteau to play with Plekanec and Gionta.
    Eller could have Bourque and Moen.
    DD with Pacio and Cole.
    They really need to leave the young guys in Hamilton for a year together.

Medalist cleek is on a distinguished road
    Markov has lost a step he won't regain , don't count on him to be an anchor. Like you said Golfisforfun the Habs could have a good defence in 5 years if those young d-men pan out but in the interim they need help after Subban and Gorges. Emelin , Markov will be there & hopefully they find a way to send Kaberle packing plus I think the Weber / Diaz experiment may be over. We'll see if Molson allows Bergevin to send Gomez to Hamilton and eat the 7 million to free up some cap to try and bring in some help ( preferably a top 4 d-man and a first line forward ) ...... and for gods sake don't trade Price , ( I keep hearing this Price for Nash rumor ) you build a good team from the back end out.

Quote Originally Posted by cleek View Post
    Markov has lost a step he won't regain , don't count on him to be an anchor. Like you said Golfisforfun the Habs could have a good defence in 5 years if those young d-men pan out but in the interim they need help after Subban and Gorges. Emelin , Markov will be there & hopefully they find a way to send Kaberle packing plus I think the Weber / Diaz experiment may be over. We'll see if Molson allows Bergevin to send Gomez to Hamilton and eat the 7 million to free up some cap to try and bring in some help ( preferably a top 4 d-man and a first line forward ) ...... and for gods sake don't trade Price , ( I keep hearing this Price for Nash rumor ) you build a good team from the back end out.
    St-Denis is ready as a 6 or 7th defencemen, he was ready last year, but they went for Campoli, mistake. Looks like Kaberle is here for at least another year, he needs to loose at least 20 pounds, hope he's got a diet and training program this summer. They have 5 or 6, 2nd round picks in the next 2 years, I hope they keep most of them if not all, and not trade them for old horses, the 2013 draft is looking as an exceptional year, I hope the McDonough trade will at least, serve as a lesson. Price for Nash, no tks.
    Last edited by Kak; 05-27-2012 at 01:34 PM.

I agree, St Denis is ready to be a 6/7.
    Glad to see the Habs with 3 d-men playing at the Memorial Cup. Tinordi, Ellis and Beaulieu all look close to NHL ready, so one year for them all together in Hamilton would be ideal. Then you would have Gorges, Subban, Tinordi, Beaulieu, Ellis...
    For this year, I think Markov, Emelin, Gorges, Subban will be the top 4 and maybe they can add a big, veteran d-man to play with St Denis or Diaz.
    Weber should be traded and I pray they can get rid of Kaberle. Even if they wait until someone is desperate because of injuries.
    They really need a winger like Parenteau to play with Plekanec and Gionta.
    3rd line could be Moen and Bourque with Eller.
    Leave the kids in Hamilton.
    Holland, Gallagher, Bournival, Leblanc and their Top pick this year is a nice group of prospects.

Golisforfun I am kinda with you , however I don't think Moen will be back ( UFA ) . Tinordi needs to pack on about 25 lbs but if he is as tough as his old man then Habs have a potential anchor. Ellis & Beaulieu need some time playing with men ....to be honest I don't know much about StDenis other than he is a big dude, but he is 26 yrs old and it's now or never. Parenteau is going to fetch a nice contract from someone. One big question is can Cole , Pacioretty & Desharnais have the same type of season ( or better ? ),they were a bright spot last season.

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    Let’s not forget that Markov might not play all season so let’s not get ahead of ourselves. I’m willing to bet he will not play 50 games unless his minute per game comes down dramatically. The habs have lots of prospects at the back end but none of them have pro level experience. You can play a 18-19 year old forward but a young D man playing at 18-19 is extremely rare let alone 2 or 3 green D-man like the Habs last year. I would be very impressed and surprised if we see a rookie D playing this season.

The key to next season is Gomez. Will they give him a last change under a new coaching environment or will they just send him down? He has been playing under JMartin since the beginning. Maybe we will see a new Scott with the new system. If not then let free his cap space and get Parenteau and a god top 4 D-man. Can’t wait to see Gallagher play in the pre season games.

Let’s see if MTL will have the guts to draft a Russian player once again!! The flipping of the coin is started.
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

I don't think the Habs should bring up any of their Rookie d-men this year. It would be great for Tinordi, Beaulieu, Ellis and St Denis to play in Hamilton for a year together. They would be fine with Markov and Emelin, Gorges and Subban and Kaberle with a veteran, big body d-man if they can sign one...

Gomez will not be back, there is no way they can risk that experiment again.

To be honest, getting a big d-man and someone like Parenteau would make a HUGE difference.

Montreal's biggest problem last year was injuries. The injury to Markov forced them to make changes. The injury to Campoli forced them to get Kaberle. The injury to Gionta made a big difference. The injuries to several players combined with Cammy not producing hurt the team.

They lost a bunch of games where they had the lead and should have hung on.
    They had a brutal powerplay which cost them games.

Everything that could have gone wrong did go wrong.

I actually think with a few minor changes, they can be much better.

They had over 400 games lost to injury which is insane.

They key is to be patient with prospects and their top draft pick and leave them all in Hamilton for one year.

I believe that a healthy roster, with the 2 additions I mentioned, will compete for a playoff spot, no problem.

I think St-Denis is ready. He is a good safe D-man that is very mobile. He is ready for a 7th to start the year and work him up.

The only risk with Gomez is not signing a UFA if the opportunity presents itself. If nobody interesting is available then there is no risk in giving him another chance then send him down him it does not work out. With AK gone 3M$ and the cap space they had available 3M$ they have the money to sign Parenteau and then some without the need to send Gomez down.

I agree in regards to injury but the Habsare too small and some injury prone players. They must get bigger. I’m excited to see what the organisation will look like and the big question now is who will be the coach???

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mberube View Post
    Let’s not forget that Markov might not play all season so let’s not get ahead of ourselves.
    hahaha, understatement of the year!

What bothers me is all the talk about them needed to get much bigger...
    Yes, they need a big d-man, that is true.
    Yes, they could use a big centre, but there are not that many in the league and they have big wingers.
    Look at the Habs and Flyers. Desharnais and Plekanec vs Briere and Giroux... basically the same size...
    Desharnais is lucky he played with Pacio and Cole because he would struggle with anybody else, especially the crappy wingers Plekanec had to play with.
    Eller was unable to do any weights last summer due to surgery and is still young, so maybe he will put on 10-15 lbs this offseason. Leblanc was also unable to do any weights last summer.
    If they were able to have Cole and Pacio as wingers on the 1st line, Parenteau and Bourque as 2nd line wingers and then Moen playing with Eller and Gionta, they have VERY good size on the wings (other than Gionta).
    The Habs lack skill. No goalie is every afraid of Habs players in shootouts because they are not pure skill guys. They had 5 OT/SO wins out of 23 chances this year which is BRUTAL/.
    I agree that Gomez might be woth a shot, and if you can't find a deal on a UFA then you might as well keep him around but if they have someone willing to sign, then move Gomez out.

And to those who make fun of Markov, who is a bigger health risk, Markov or Crosby?

DD is 5’7, Gionta is 5’7, Pleks 5’11, Diaz 5’11, Weber 5’11 and there are a few at 6’0. I don’t have a problem with DD between two 6’2 players but two or more players at 6 feet or under on the second line is too small for the playoffs unless the players play like 6’2. Now comparing Brière and Giroux is not fair. Giroulx is one of the best players in the NHL and he was playing with Hartnell 6’2 210 and Jagr 6’3 240. Brière is a hard nose playoff star. No comparison to the small player in MTL IMO.

But my point was that in terms of "size" they are not that small. Yes, they might lack the grit and toughness of some small players on other teams, but look at the Devils and Rangers, both teams have 3 or 4 forwards under 6 ft...

If the Habs can get a BIG centre, they will need to trade a centre.
    Plekanec is one of the better 2 way players in the league and gets stuck playing wtih the crappy wingers on the team.
    Eller has wingers that are even worse and he still managed to do ok for a young player.
    DD took advantage of a great scenario and I would trade him if I could get a big centre...

Desharnais + Weber or Diaz, + 1st round pick for who??? Jordan Staal? Perry? What would it take to get a #1 centre? I'd even throw in Leblanc if I had to...

Pacio, Staal, Cole
    Parenteau, Plekanec, Bourque
    Moen, Eller, Gionta

Then the next year you replace Moen and Gionta with Bournival and Holland and Gallagher replaces Bourque.

Habs next big task it to name a head coach , they have done a nice job with adding other smart hockey people to the front office of late. Bergevin will do well as the GM.

Here is a piece of trivia for you, Bergevin , JJ Daigneault & Mario Lemieux all played for the same minor hockey organization and team growing up ( Ville Emard Hurricanes )

If Bergevin trades Desharnais, there will be a riot (another one) and he knows that. Pacio and Cole were also lucky to have the best playmaker in the organization setting them up, plus he doesn't cost much. Leblanc could be the surprise this year. Is Parenteau (29 yrs old) for real...., maybe , maybe not, he emerged playing with Tavares the last 2 years. before that, he played mostly in the AHL, but was always a point contributer. Maybe he's another later bloomer like St-Louis, but he will be lookin for $$$ and at least 3 years, can the habs afford to make another mistake like Gomez, Bourque, Kaberle and maybe Markov....
    A test for Bergevin.
    Last edited by Kak; 06-01-2012 at 03:33 PM.

Desharnais is here to stay and he will produre this season that he did last year.

Here are the top UFA for this year Make your list GMs:

Top UFA forwards:

Semin, Alexander »
    R WAS 28 $6,700,000 2012 (UFA)
    Smyth, Ryan »
    L EDM 36 $6,250,000 2012 (UFA)
    Parise, Zach »
    L NJD 27 $6,000,000 2012 (UFA)
    Rolston, Brian »
    L BOS 39 $5,062,500 2012 (UFA)
    Huselius, Kristian »
    L CLB 33 $4,750,000 2012 (UFA)
    Doan, Shane »
    R PHO 35 $4,550,000 2012 (UFA)
    Langkow, Daymond »
    C PHO 35 $4,500,000 2012 (UFA)
    Penner, Dustin »
    L LAK 29 $4,250,000 2012 (UFA)
    Boyes, Brad »
    R BUF 30 $4,000,000 2012 (UFA)
    Selanne, Teemu »
    R ANA 41 $4,000,000 2012 (UFA)
    Blake, Jason »
    L ANA 38 $4,000,000 2012 (UFA)
    Avery, Sean »
    L NYR 32 $3,875,000 2012 (UFA)
    Stoll, Jarret »
    C LAK 29 $3,600,000 2012 (UFA)
    Hecht, Jochen »
    C BUF 34 $3,525,000 2012 (UFA)
    Jagr, Jaromir »
    R PHI 40 $3,300,000 2012 (UFA)
    Kostitsyn, Andrei »
    R NAS 27 $3,250,000 2012 (UFA)
    Jokinen, Olli »
    C CGY 33 $3,000,000 2012 (UFA)
    Whitney, Ray »
    L PHO 40 $3,000,000 2012 (UFA)
    Kotalik, Ales »
    R BUF 33 $3,000,000 2012 (UFA)
    Hagman, Niklas »
    L ANA 32 $3,000,000 2012 (UFA)
    Hudler, Jiri »
    L DET 28 $2,875,000 2012 (UFA)
    Arnott, Jason »
    C STL 37 $2,875,000 2012 (UFA)
    Langenbrunner, Jamie »
    R STL 36 $2,750,000 2012 (UFA)
    Pahlsson, Samuel »
    C VAN 34 $2,650,000 2012 (UFA)
    Jones, David »
    R COL 27 $2,500,000 2012 (UFA)
    Samuelsson, Mikael »
    R FLA 35 $2,500,000 2012 (UFA)
    Gaustad, Paul »
    C NAS 30 $2,300,000 2012 (UFA)
    Sturm, Marco »
    L FLA 34 $2,250,000 2012 (UFA)
    Kelly, Chris »
    C BOS 31 $2,125,000 2012 (UFA)
    Reinprecht, Steven »
    C VAN
    36 $2,050,000 2012 (UFA)
    Brunette, Andrew »
    L CHI 38 $2,000,000 2012 (UFA)
    Knuble, Mike »
    R WAS 39 $2,000,000 2012 (UFA)
    Stempniak, Lee »
    R CGY 29 $1,900,000 2012 (UFA)
    Holmstrom, Tomas »
    L DET 39 $1,875,000 2012 (UFA)
    Moen, Travis »
    L MTL 30 $1,500,000 2012 (UFA)
    Ponikarovsky, Alexei »
    L NJD 32 $1,500,000 2012 (UFA)
    Dvorak, Radek »
    R DAL 35 $1,500,000 2012 (UFA)

Top 15 UFA Defenseman (Lidstrom not included):

Rozsival, Michal »
    D PHO 33 $5,000,000 2012 (UFA)
    Wideman, Dennis »
    D WAS 29 $3,937,500 2012 (UFA)
    Kubina, Pavel »
    D PHI 35 $3,850,000 2012 (UFA)
    Spacek, Jaroslav »
    D CAR 38 $3,833,333 2012 (UFA)
    Stuart, Brad »
    D DET 32 $3,750,000 2012 (UFA)
    Kuba, Filip »
    D OTT 35 $3,700,000 2012 (UFA)
    Jackman, Barret »
    D STL 31 $3,625,000 2012 (UFA)
    Sarich, Cory »
    D CGY 33 $3,600,000 2012 (UFA)
    Suter, Ryan »
    D NAS 27 $3,500,000 2012 (UFA)
    Finger, Jeff »
    D TOR 32 $3,500,000 2012 (UFA)
    Carle, Matt »
    D PHI 27 $3,437,500 2012 (UFA)
    Allen, Bryan »
    D CAR
    31 $2,900,000 2012 (UFA)
    Salvador, Bryce »
    D NJD 36 $2,900,000 2012 (UFA)
    Eaton, Mark »
    D NYI 35 $2,500,000 2012 (UFA)
    Gill, Hal »
    D NAS 37 $2,250,000 2012 (UFA)
    Corvo, Joe »
    D BOS 34 $2,250,000 2012 (UFA)
    Martinek, Radek »
    D CLB 35 $2,200,000 2012 (UFA)
    Colaiacovo, Carlo »
    D STL 29 $2,125,000 2012 (UFA)
    Morrisonn, Shaone »
    D BUF 29 $2,075,000 2012 (UFA)
    Salo, Sami »
    D VAN 37 $2,000,000 2012 (UFA)
    Aucoin, Adrian »
    D PHO 38 $2,000,000 2012 (UFA)
    Zanon, Greg »
    D BOS 31 $1,933,333 2012 (UFA)
    Foster, Kurtis »
    D MIN 30 $1,800,000 2012 (UFA)
    Campoli, Chris »
    D MTL 27 $1,750,000 2012 (UFA)
    Sauer, Kurt »
    D PHO 31 $1,750,000 2012 (UFA)
    Souray, Sheldon »
    D DAL 35 $1,650,000 2012 (UFA)
    Staios, Steve »
    D NYI 38 $1,600,000 2012 (UFA)
    Jurcina, Milan »
    D NYI 28 $1,600,000 2012 (UFA)
    Hunwick, Matt »
    D COL 27 $1,550,000 2012 (UFA)
    Clark, Brett »
    D TBL 35 $1,500,000 2012 (UFA)
    Bouillon, Francis »
    D NAS 36 $1,350,000 2012 (UFA)
    Jones, Randy »
    D WIN 30 $1,150,000 2012 (UFA)
    O'Brien, Shane »
    D COL 28 $1,100,000 2012 (UFA)
    Vandermeer, Jim »
    D SAN 32 $1,000,000 2012 (UFA)
    Lundin, Mike »
    D MIN 27 $1,000,000 2012 (UFA)
    White, Colin »
    D SAN 34 $1,000,000 2012 (UFA)
    Commodore, Mike »
    D TBL 32 $1,000,000 2012 (UFA)
    Lukowich, Brad »
    D DAL 35 $1,000,000 2012 (UFA)
    Huskins, Kent »
    D STL 33 $1,000,000 2012 (UFA)
    Hannan, Scott »
    D CGY 33 $1,000,000 2012 (UFA)
    Gilroy, Matt »
    D OTT 27 $1,000,000 2012 (UFA)
    O'Donnell, Sean »
    D CHI 40 $850,000 2012 (UFA)
    Zubarev, Andrei »
    D WIN 25 $825,000 2012 (UFA)
    Eminger, Steve »
    D NYR 28 $800,000 2012 (UFA)

if you look at the UFA's and the their most recent cap hits alot of them are either
    a) going to take a big drop in salary
    b) going to retire
    c) going to play in another league ( Semin )

but there are a few players in line for a nice raise and some that are deserving. It is interesting how the market July 1 drives up players value because of bidding wars ( and agents eager to make a buck ). Some players reel in ridiculous salaries because they are in the right place at the right time.

Wow, not a very strong list of UFA's... Teams will pay way too much because of the lack of quality players, so I don't mind if the Habs stay out of it.
    I wonder if the Habs might be able to trade Gionta back to the Devils if they lose Parise??? I would not expect much in return, but it would clear some much needed cap space.
    I truly believe they will be able to move Kaberle at some point to help some team deal with injuries but to start the year he is not that bad an option, especially if they can get a bigger, tougher d-man to play with him.

Parise is a center though so they would have to move Plecks or DD. Unless they move Plecks to the third line and build 3 strong lines. I think the Habs will trade instead of going for the UFA forwards. The D UFA list is more interesting.

Sorry, I wasn't saying the Habs should go after Parise, if thats what you thought I meant...
    I figure he will go with Suter to Detroit anyways...
    I just figure the Devils will need some help, so maybe they will take Gionta back because Lou likes his old players.

Ok Habs fans... Desharnais + 1st round pick for Jordan Staal (based on Pens giving him extension now for 4 years around $5.5M)
    Would you make the move?

Pacio Staal Cole
    Parenteau Plekanec Gionta
    Moen Eller Bourque

DD + a 1st round!!! No way. Desharnais is a perfect fit for that line plus he is French Q and he is a bargain at that price for a first center. He may be small but he has great vision and speed. A first rounder can be as good or better then Stall. Stall is big but he is injury prone the last two seasons. It would be a different situation if MTL was a cup contender but there are too many elements missing to make a move like this. I think they need a good winger and a D-man or 2, not a center.

Thread Information