100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar

The Masters Ball

The Masters Ball

I for one think this is just getting silly. There was a time when steel shafts were threatening the great game too!

PGA Tour courses should be made 8000 yards from the tips. That ought to do it.

Seriously though, our Long Dive thread showed us that the new clubs and balls are not helping everyone hit it over 300 yards. Just those at the highest level. Golf is hard enough, let us have our high tech clubs and balls.

Shotmaker spidey is on a distinguished road spidey's Avatar
    I don't think it's exactly an even field as it is.

Guys like Tiger and DD can be hitting driver-wedge on most of the par 4s.

What would happen if the teeing ground was made variable based on how far a player hits the ball. In other words... if the first hole was designed to be a drive and a mid iron, then move the player back to a spot where his 'normal' tee ball would land in a spot where he'd have to play a mid iron.

Personally, I don't think there's a solution to the issue about the best players making tough courses look easy via equipment innovations. There is a lot more focus on golf technology and golf training now than there has ever been. And there is still only a few dozen people in the entire world who stand a chance of winning on tour regularly.

Perhaps if Bobby Jones trained as hard as Phil Mickelson and played from the time he was a babe and had a swing coach and an equipment company and a management company, then it's possible that he would have been able to humble more golf courses than he did, and maybe this discussion would have taken place 80 years ago.

I still think that the game of golf is not changing significantly for your average golfer, and certainly not for your 'sunday golfer'.
    [color=blue]s[/color][color=red]p[/color][color=blue]i[/color][color=red]d[/color][color=blue]e[/color][color=red]y[/color]

[color=seagreen]"Got more dirt than ball. Here we go again."
    Alan Shepard, Apollo 14 Commander, Amateur-Golfer, preparing to take another swing during his famous moon walk in 1971.
    [/color]

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    With the conditioning of today's players and courses, the only true tests left are the majors. Its all protein shakes and fitness trailers, not burgers and smokes. The fairways are so fast that even the so called average distance guys can crank out another 30 yards. The tour is all about "Drive for show, putt for dough", now more than ever.

I'm a regular em69 is on a distinguished road em69's Avatar
    Sometimes the folks who run the Masters make me laugh. It doesn't matter what you do, there will always be someone at a disadvantage. It is just not possible to equalize all the players on tour. Why would you even want to consider doing this??

If John Daly hits it the longest on tour now, don't you think he would still be the longest hitter?

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar

well now

I agree with LobWedge on this one..........I dont think it makes any difference on the tour. Always has been and always will be "Drive for show and Putt for dough".

So with that in mind, let the rough grow deeper. move the tees to the very back and make the greeens faster!!!

May the best man win!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thread Information