CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Putter Trooks is on a distinguished road

Alternative wall covering for enclosure

I've read the posts about using foam and then covering with black carpet. Looks great, but sounds like a lot of work.

I'm wondering if anyone has used the foam floor tiles that are used in workout rooms? These are pretty cheap and easy to work with. I've done a floor with them and the tiles join together and there's also edging pieces to finish the ends. It would be easy to glue these to a piece of OSB, but I'm wondering if it would be enough padding.

Thanks

Putter markblu is on a distinguished road
    I'm thinking the same thing. I've been looking at the acoustical foam that comes in 2x2ft squares. It comes in a couple of different shapes and thickness. Does anyone have any experience with those ?

3 Iron HRS is on a distinguished road
    The cheap light foam tiles you can get at Dicks etc. would be best, the fancy "real" gym ones are very heavy and might come off whatever you use to mount them. Something I'm planning for a room that needs to be convertible to a bedroom is those 4 x 8 foot insulation panels from Lowes or Home Depot. About $15 each. If the aesthetics are poor (what, giant pink monoliths that say "Lowes" all over them don't remind you of a country club?) you can throw some cloth over them which, depending what you pick, might be cheaper or more expensive than the foam. The insulation would protect your walls but would itself probably get cratered if hit - I don't know, still at the start of the project. I also would like to hear experience with the acoustic tiles such as these http://www.atsacoustics.com/foam-wed...ic-panels.html that I'm planning for the ceiling.

Postaholic CPA is on a distinguished road
    I still say the black blackout curtains floor to ceiling both sides and ceiling work a treat for $400, and look like a theatre.

Are they thick enough to prevent dents in the walls? Do you have a link? - home theater fabric I've seen is very expensive.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Velvet...item3cc557f951

one of these either side, pleated will stop a ball in its tracks.

or make your own cheaper

I used 3pass blackout curtain. Just need to get a bulk roll and sew at top.

Thank you for the link. I probably should have been more clear - my room is not very big so I'd want these up against the wall. Do you think the velvet is enough to stop a shank from denting the wall under the curtain?

If you get fabric as heavy as you can, get double the length so it pleats well and mount so it has clearance of 2 inches from wall. Should be fine. Yes you will lose over a foot of width.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-16oz-Fir...item4ce1c3310e

7 Iron shoot4one is on a distinguished road
    I will be nine feet from screen, how often will balls hit before the screen on the ceiling? How tight would a net have to be and how far from the ceiling would you have to hang the net?

How high is your screen?

At 10 ft high screen any ball launched over 48 degrees will hit the ceiling.

Can I suggest yon use this online calculator;

http://www.carbidedepot.com/formulas-trigright.asp

7 Iron shoot4one is on a distinguished road
    CPA, im going with black curtains too, how much room do you have between top curtain and ceiling? Are you using netting too? I have twn foot ceilings but my screen is 9.5, Im hoping a tight archery net from westcoast and curtain will be enough to stop ball in six inches, think it will?

Putter josepaul is on a distinguished road
    This is the best fabric wall coverings ever. These are not only decorative, but also deliver superior acoustical performance and environmental friendly and are made of glass wool core and acoustic fabric. Other core materials such as polyester wool, melamine foam and PU foam are also available. .

Birdie Sunny D is on a distinguished road Sunny D's Avatar
    I bought theater curtains on line. They are thick and help absorb sound. I have 2 in foam behind them on both side walls. For the ceiling in front of the impact screen I used double sided tape to put in place acoustical tile. Again to help with sound deadening and also because my first week with my set up I realized that it was possible for me to hit the ceiling with my sand wedge.

I have a heavy carpet hung 2 inches behind the impact. It is mounted directly to the ceiling using a board. The installation of the carpet took about 5 minutes once the board was cut. I have 4 inches behind the rug to the wall. Even with a full swing on my driver I have never hit the back wall. I have hit one ball off the toe and it hit the curtain and foam and just died on the spot.

Thread Information