100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Lob Wedge Marc5180 is on a distinguished road

Optishot or P3Pro?

Hi guys,

I'm after a bit of advice, if you would be so kind.

I'm Thinking of buying a simulator mainly to groove my swing and
    to hopefully bring my handicap down (26).

I want a simulator that I can also use with video analysis software that I can use to record my swings from the front and the side and playback in slow motion. (maybe even compare swings side by side of pro golfers, not sure if thats possible though).

I have a golf coach and would be working on changes to my swing that he suggests.

I was looking at the Optishot and the P3ProSwing and have read countless posts on here from you guys and I'm still undecided..

The Optishot can be bought over here in the uk for £350 but I would have To add the video analysis software as well, whereas the P3pro would have to be sent from the US and would cost me around £850 with the grass top and import fees added and I would still have to buy the video cameras/webcams.

I thought my mind was set on the P3Pro but I've since read many things that have put me off and too be honest I find their customer services poor even at this stage.

I guess I'm just after a little bit of advice from any of you that were at this stage yourself not so long ago and with the benefit of hindsight can advise me accordingly.

keep up the good work.

Marc

Postaholic CPA is on a distinguished road
    Sounds like V1 for video and if swingbyte works for club data. Add a playstation eye cam $180 all up.

If you want a sim add $$$$.

Quote Originally Posted by CPA View Post
    Sounds like V1 for video and if swingbyte works for club data. Add a playstation eye cam $180 all up.

If you want a sim add $$$$.
    I'd never even heard of the swing byte, it looks interesting. I'll definatly keep an eye on developments with it.

With regards to the V1 software, I have looked at that but it's very expensive. Is the free version any good and could I compare swings side by side?

V1 is free. Upgrade for $19.95 using code VSWING to get Mic trigger etc.

Yes you get side by side comparison. Only 1 cam at a time, have to move cam.

3 Iron HRS is on a distinguished road
    I'm a much worse golfer than you so my advice might be poor. But, if you are committing to the lessons with a pro I'd recommend putting more money into that than the sim. So maybe the Optishot is best which will tell you what the club is doing so you can correct on your own. I'm not sure about the video analysis. I've taken lessons using it and the pro spends half the time messing with the computer rather than "analyzing" and teaching.

Andisblue
    I found the optishot to be very inaccurate, so I returned it. MAYBE mine was defective. I'd rather hit at the driving range .

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    Do some research on Optishot vs P3pro. http://forum.ottawagolf.com/showthre...58125-DD-or-P3 and http://forum.ottawagolf.com/showthre...e-DD-and-P3Pro The debate has been on going forever. I do think that the Optishot is slightly ahead. The customer service for P3pro has been very suspect!

Swingbyte is not yet proven but looks promising. No simulation with it though. It will give you swing data which hopefully will be accurate. For real simulation go higher than the Optishot or P3pro. If you can't afford higher, then my advice is to get the Optishot over the P3pro.

Also look at the Kinovea http://forum.ottawagolf.com/showthre...e-DD-and-P3Pro and http://www.kinovea.org/en/forum/ for video analysis, Its free and quite good.

CPA - ill look into that as well, thanks
    HRS- I know what you mean about the golf pro spending so much time at the computer but ive had a problem for quite a while not not releasing my hands through impact and having the chicken wing after impact and no matter what I try even with the advice of the pro I found I couldn't fix it.
    After *having my first video lesson with him ( he's only just got the simulator)
    I found that having the ability to slow down my swing and even draw lines made me able to see exactly where I was going wrong even though it didn't feel like I was doing what I was doing,.
    from that moment I knew I had to get a setup with cameras because I will benefit from it and as the pro gives me something to go away and work on then I can see if I am doing it right rather than just pounding balls at the range.

ANDISBLUE- yes that is something that is worrying me but I'm hoping it will help me knowing the position of my club face angle *even if it is off a little bit.....only time will tell.

Good luck and keep us posted with your decisions Marc.

Bubba22 - I was hoping you would pop in since I know you have owned both.

I've been to the National golf show this morning with the hope of looking at the optishot and trying it out but it wasn't there, only the foresight launch monitor was on show but I know this is much more expensive but not sure how much more.

With regards to the analysis software (the link you sent was comparing the p3 & the optishot)
    Can that record the front and the side simultaneously which is what I'm looking for and the ability to play back in slow mo.
    Also how many fps can that software handle?*

The P3pro video analysis is weak. It allows for 2 views which is nice. The problem is that it is max 30 fps which just doesn't cut it. The Kinovea allows for dual cam which is nice. V1 I think you must buy the upgrade to get dual cam. If finances are the issue then start with the Optishot and the v1 home free software and Kinovea which is fee.

Hall of Fame ZMax is on a distinguished road
    Good luck!
    Last edited by ZMax; 04-21-2012 at 03:06 PM.

I've just been looking at the kinovea and it does say it allows dual cam but if that's the case why would I need the V1 software?
    Would you still recommend the PS3 eye as the cameras or the Microsoft LifeCam q2f-00001 which I know P3Pro recommend.

Finally what would be the next level up from the the P3pro? Something with a launch monitor perhaps?

Sorry for all the questions..

Hall of Fame ZMax is on a distinguished road
    Last edited by ZMax; 04-21-2012 at 03:06 PM.

I've just been looking at the kinovea and it does say it allows dual cam but if that's the case why would I need the V1 software?
    Would you still recommend the PS3 eye as the cameras or the Microsoft LifeCam q2f-00001 which I know P3Pro recommend.

Finally what would be the next level up from the the P3pro? Something with a launch monitor perhaps?

Sorry for all the questions..

The lifecam will be 30 fps max, the eye 120 (at low res). The eye takes some setting up for the driver so if you have problems with computers......see the thread bubba started about choice of faster cam for V1.

I like the Mic trigger on V1, saves you stuffing around with the computer.

See also swingprofile software to be released later this year, may be simple and what you are looking for.

Just to add the best video eg for swingprofile for you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFV-a...e_gdata_player

3 Wood Stonebattle is on a distinguished road
    Marc5180
    It seems to me either would benefit you. I have been a P3pro user for a number of years and it works well as a full swing analyzer. I have a friend that has an optishot and it also works well and provides reasonable feedback much of the time. Neither are perfect by a long shot, but both provide good information for improving ones swing.

Bubba22 is right about the frame rate of the P3pro being limited to 30 FPS. Due to this one misses a lot. Still I find the info obtained invaluable. It's still easy to see critical positions. For me these include setup, positions in the backswing, club face open or closed at the top, downswing plane in comparison to setup plane just to name a few. Movement of the hip, legs and head for example are also easy to see. Combining that video info with the club data is quite useful. I don't know if optishot has all of this or not.

I'm looking for something else now, but I still use my P3pro. For a 26 handycap I would think either of these could help. My P3pro has help me.

Andisblue
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc5180 View Post
    ANDISBLUE- yes that is something that is worrying me but I'm hoping it will help me knowing the position of my club face angle *even if it is off a little bit.....only time will tell.
    face angle can be derived from the ball h. Path, yes?

Quote Originally Posted by Andisblue View Post
    face angle can be derived from the ball h. Path, yes?
    Add swing path to that equation.

Quote Originally Posted by CPA View Post
    The lifecam will be 30 fps max, the eye 120 (at low res). The eye takes some setting up for the driver so if you have problems with computers......see the thread bubba started about choice of faster cam for V1.

I like the Mic trigger on V1, saves you stuffing around with the computer.

See also swingprofile software to be released later this year, may be simple and what you are looking for.
    I've just been looking at the swingprofile, it looks good but no release date as of yet.

With regards to the V1 software, I've just been on their website and found that one could upgrade to their premium version for $40 but I'm still unsure wether this will allow for dual cameras and couldn't find any infor regarding this.

Quote Originally Posted by Stonebattle View Post
    Marc5180
    It seems to me either would benefit you. I have been a P3pro user for a number of years and it works well as a full swing analyzer. I have a friend that has an optishot and it also works well and provides reasonable feedback much of the time. Neither are perfect by a long shot, but both provide good information for improving ones swing.

Bubba22 is right about the frame rate of the P3pro being limited to 30 FPS. Due to this one misses a lot. Still I find the info obtained invaluable. It's still easy to see critical positions. For me these include setup, positions in the backswing, club face open or closed at the top, downswing plane in comparison to setup plane just to name a few. Movement of the hip, legs and head for example are also easy to see. Combining that video info with the club data is quite useful. I don't know if optishot has all of this or not.

I'm looking for something else now, but I still use my P3pro. For a 26 handycap I would think either of these could help. My P3pro has help me.
    I'm leaning towards the optishot now but only because of the price.
    I've found the optishot over here at £305 whereas the P3 will cost me more like £850 and reading the reviews I can't really see that their is much difference between them. At least then I could spend more money of the video analysis software and cameras.

I've also emailed someone over here regarding the protee that he has for sale and I'm waiting for him to get back to me so no final decision has been made yet.

I've just been looking at the swingprofile, it looks good but no release date as of yet.

With regards to the V1 software, I've just been on their website and found that one could upgrade to their premium version for $40 but I'm still unsure wether this will allow for dual cameras and couldn't find any infor regarding this.
    upgrade is $19.95 if you use the discount code VSWING.

Only 1 cam for upgrde.

I'm leaning towards the optishot now but only because of the price.
    I've found the optishot over here at £305 whereas the P3 will cost me more like £850 and reading the reviews I can't really see that their is much difference between them. At least then I could spend more money of the video analysis software and cameras.

I've also emailed someone over here regarding the protee that he has for sale and I'm waiting for him to get back to me so no final decision has been made yet.

Personally I would (and did) spend the $ on the sim/monitor.

I am waiting for swingprofile as it looks easy, draws lines automatically and can quickly compare to old swing or pro's.

l fear they are shooting for iphone and android Market first and leaving the real computer and cameras behind.

Lob Wedge BobbycFlame is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba22 View Post
    The customer service for P3pro has been very suspect!
    Bubba,
    You are being too nice. I am new to this forum. I am a new customer to P3 and my whole experience has been awful. Rude sales girl, terrible support and no follow up. Should have read the reviews here first before I bought it.
    Last edited by Kilroy; 04-27-2012 at 01:49 PM. Reason: bashing

Quote Originally Posted by BobbycFlame View Post
    Bubba,
    You are being too nice. I am new to this forum. I am a new customer to P3 and my whole experience has been awful. Rude sales girl, terrible supportand no follow up. Should have read the reviews here first before I bought it.
    I know Bobbyc. Sorry to hear that. I had a bad experience as well. I just didn't want to completely bad mouth them in case they have improved recently. Their track record is not good. Quite a shame really.
    Last edited by Kilroy; 04-27-2012 at 01:49 PM.

5 Iron chasiv is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbycFlame View Post
    Bubba,
    You are being too nice. I am new to this forum. I am a new customer to P3 and my whole experience has been awful. Rude sales girl, terrible support, and management with a "don't give a sh#t" attitude, and no follow up. Should have read the reviews here first before I bought it.
    Bobby - what issue(s) are you having? Where did you purchase your system from? I do not show any recent sales to Eugene in our system.

Lob Wedge BobbycFlame is on a distinguished road
    And top chasiv, I am not sure who you are. Do you work for P3? If so, I bought my unit used on eBay. I called with some software issues and thought I would purchase upgraded software. Regardless, I have solved the issues on my own and got the software cd I needed from the previous owner. If it doesn't work out I am just going to sell it on eBay.

Understand your frustrations Bobbyc. Just try and keep the comments civil.

5 Iron chasiv is on a distinguished road
    Yes Bobby, I do indeed work for P3ProSwing and that was the basis of my questions. Although I do not spend a lot of time here, I do try to help when I see that our users are having issues. Hopefully you'll find that it suits your needs. If you have issues, you should contact the Customer Service department at tech@p3proswing.com.

Thread Information