100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    President's Cup Wknd_Warrior is on a distinguished road Wknd_Warrior's Avatar

are those golfer's proteractors any good?

I've heard you can get a small device to read the loft and lie of your clubs. Are these actually reasonably accurate and fuzz free to use? ANyone have one, does it work for you?

Thanks

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Are you asking about the magnetic ones or the mechanical ones?

In either case, the real issue is that you have to make sure that the shaft is at the correct angle when you measure so that you get a consistent/accurate reading. The lie/orientation of the clubhead is also important since if it is closed or open that can affect the measurement as well.

That beind said, if you have a way to make sure the club is held properly the protractors are accurate enough.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

sopunds like they are fussy to set up right. Like how are you supposed to know the degrees of rotation on the shaft? I guess if I knew howlofts were measured maybe it'd make more sense.

I've been thinking (watch out) if the club is positioned so the shaft and leading edge are square, like say to a block of wood. then you measure the three sides creating the triangular space left by the clubs loft, I'm not 100% sure, but because it's a right angle triangle I think the loft will be specific to the relationship between the length of one of the adjacent sides and opposite side. Basically, with a mm ruler and a block of wood you should be able to calculate it.

well, the idea works, it's just math. But using lengths just the length of the face, like 40-50 mm, the difference of a mm makes more than a degree of difference in the loft calculation. So unless you measure really well in a very tight jig it's going to be hard to be accurate.

Extending the sides out longer, like a couple feet would remove measurement error and maybe minimize alignment error. I have my doubts in the real world it'll end up any more accurate than one of those hand held devices, and starting to sound like a pain to setup.

After some more thought, plumb-bobbing a measured string to the ground should work pretty good for the lie just eyed up, if you then measure where the string touched the shaft to reach the ground. that'd be easy enough. With all the offsets and shaft tapering though I can see how a jig would come in handy

Thread Information