+ Reply to Thread

Thread: COBRA AMP Irons

Forum Jedi golfisforfun is on a distinguished road

COBRA AMP Irons

Just wondering if anyone has hit these yet?
    I have played several sets of irons but always fall back to my Nike NDS Irons and to be honest, it looks like Cobra just stole the NDS design, added an insert and some colour and had a funky new iron...

Go check out the photos, the irons are VERY similar. Heel and toe weights on both, carved back section...

Anyways, since I like my NDS so much, just looking for feedback on AMP Irons.

Fairway Junkie CDELA is on a distinguished road CDELA's Avatar
    I've hit them a number of times at Golftown, then met with the Cobra rep last Saturday for a fitting, and ended up ordering a set. Hope to get them by the end of next week. I really like them. I found I needed something more forgiving than the Mizuno MP-63s I've been playing. The look of the Amps at address is very nice...certainly not blade like but certainly not the "super game improvement" look. Just a nice confidence inspiring look. The single orange painted bottom groove works nicely for alignment. The feel is nice...not sure how to describe it, a bit different, but pleasing.
    My Mizunos are 1/4" longer than standard, making them 1/4" shorter than the Amps...the Amps are stronger lofted by 2°. I also went from an S300 in the Mizunos to the stock Dynalite in an R flex. On average I picked up about 12-15 yards or so per club.
    The orange coloured back cavity, in my opinion, is kinda cool. The orange grips were a bit much though, so I ordered a basic black grip.
    They're definately forgiving, especially compared to the MP-63s. It was a nice feeling, just "point and shoot", again especially compared to the Mizunos.
    I also hit the Cobra S3 Pro forged. Awesome club and incredible feel....a really nice forging. But I was in the market for a forgiving club. If I had to choose though between the MP-63 and S3 Pro, I'd go with the S3 Pro.

Forum Jedi golfisforfun is on a distinguished road
    I have played Nike NDS irons for years and they are actually very similar to the AMP irons if you look at the backs. I have hit them at GolfTown and they feel solid.
    Thanks for the input.

Journeyman beef is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by CDELA View Post
    I've hit them a number of times at Golftown, then met with the Cobra rep last Saturday for a fitting, and ended up ordering a set. Hope to get them by the end of next week. I really like them. I found I needed something more forgiving than the Mizuno MP-63s I've been playing. The look of the Amps at address is very nice...certainly not blade like but certainly not the "super game improvement" look. Just a nice confidence inspiring look. The single orange painted bottom groove works nicely for alignment. The feel is nice...not sure how to describe it, a bit different, but pleasing.
    My Mizunos are 1/4" longer than standard, making them 1/4" shorter than the Amps...the Amps are stronger lofted by 2°. I also went from an S300 in the Mizunos to the stock Dynalite in an R flex. On average I picked up about 12-15 yards or so per club.
    The orange coloured back cavity, in my opinion, is kinda cool. The orange grips were a bit much though, so I ordered a basic black grip.
    They're definately forgiving, especially compared to the MP-63s. It was a nice feeling, just "point and shoot", again especially compared to the Mizunos.
    I also hit the Cobra S3 Pro forged. Awesome club and incredible feel....a really nice forging. But I was in the market for a forgiving club. If I had to choose though between the MP-63 and S3 Pro, I'd go with the S3 Pro.
    How did the season go with the amps? Still playing them or did you go back to a players iron?

I just picked up a short set of the Cobra amp irons . Really liked the feel of them when I demo these. Sweet deal
    had to have them . I have played Cobra irons in the past 3100's ssi's and cxi's so thought I 'ed give these a chance .

Fairway Junkie CDELA is on a distinguished road CDELA's Avatar
    Ending up buying the Cobra S3 Pro also and alternating these and the Amps most of the season. But the last couple of months of the season I played mostly the S3 Pros. The Amps are a nice club, was just looking for something with a bit smaller head and less offset.
    Just got a good deal at Golftown on a like new demo set of Callaway Diablo Forged, so the Amps will be up for sale (3 to gap wedge-9 piece set). But nothing against the Amp...it's a nice iron...perfect game improvement club.

Thread Information