100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    3 Iron scottishgolf is on a distinguished road

Wink Sorry another handicap question

Just looking for some piece of mind here,if I'm shooting an average of an 85 per round , what would you guys think my handicap should be, believe me this is the last handicap question I will ask

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Too vague. Depends on which course and which tees. All/most courses are rated from each set of tees.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Champion goochy is on a distinguished road goochy's Avatar
    Big Johnny is off course correct. But as a VERY rough estimate, assuming a rating of around 69 and a slope of 120 which seems about typical for most public courses from the whites...I would estimate somewhere around 12

President's Cup Wknd_Warrior is on a distinguished road Wknd_Warrior's Avatar
    ya just a guess for sure, but I'd say if we're talking an average course probably in the neigbourhood of 10-14, on the low end of that if you card the odd round in the 70s.

3 Iron scottishgolf is on a distinguished road
    Sorry I know it's vague ,bt white Tees and base the coarse on say nation ,12-14 was the number I was maybe thinking it would be

Team Match Play Champ 2010 DenisO is on a distinguished road DenisO's Avatar
    Assuming after applying ESC you scored 85 at Nation from the whites (69.8/123), I believe the calculation is:

(85-69.8) * 113 / 123 = 13.96
    13.96 * .96 = 13.4 handicap

Team Match Play Champ 2011 shaner85 is on a distinguished road shaner85's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DenisO View Post
    Assuming after applying ESC you scored 85 at Nation from the whites (69.8/123), I believe the calculation is:

Can someone explain the last part of the equation? Why multiply the 13.96 by .96? The first part I understand...

Team Match Play Champ 2010 DenisO is on a distinguished road DenisO's Avatar
    It's just part of the formula for determining your potential.
    The RCGA Handicap manual is here, you can read a bunch of different examples in there for all things handicap related:
    http://www.rcga.org/_uploads/documen...anual_2012.pdf

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    The problem with these guesses is that they fail to recognize that indexes or factors are not calculated on the average score. Rather, they are calculated on the basis of the ten best scores out of the last twenty rounds. For example, if you had a player who averaged 85 by shooting ten scores of 90 and ten scores of 80 in his last 20 rounds, his index or factor would not be calculated on his average score (85), but on the 80s that he shot. This would make a big difference in the cap. Just a thought.
    Last edited by mpare; 04-20-2012 at 05:43 PM.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by shaner85 View Post
    Can someone explain the last part of the equation? Why multiply the 13.96 by .96? The first part I understand...
    Check out page 75 in the link above . There is an explanation of this "Bonus for Excellence." (X .96)

Birdie marcf is on a distinguished road marcf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DenisO View Post

Actually this would result in a 13.4 INDEX, not handicap. The player would then refer to the chart and see what the course handicap is for this index from the tees the plan to play.

Common error is mixing up index and handicap.

Quote Originally Posted by mpare View Post
    The problem with these guesses is that they fail to recognize that indexes or factors are not calculated on the average score. Rather, they are calculated on the basis of the ten best scores out of the last twenty rounds.
    I tried to factor that in. the question really should be what's your average good game. then take it from there.

Team Match Play Champ 2011 quinner is on a distinguished road quinner's Avatar
    The problem with this whole thing is, that if you don't have a handicap then you really shouldn't be "guessing" what your handicap is. Start tracking your scores and in 20 rounds you will have one (maybe not an official one but one none the less). If you don't have one and you are entering a competitive event, IMO you should be playing from scratch.

Lob Wedge Dubber is on a distinguished road Dubber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by quinner View Post
    The problem with this whole thing is, that if you don't have a handicap then you really shouldn't be "guessing" what your handicap is. Start tracking your scores and in 20 rounds you will have one (maybe not an official one but one none the less). If you don't have one and you are entering a competitive event, IMO you should be playing from scratch.
    Good Point. Posting scores is the only way to accurately reflect your current level of play and if you play golf for score it is also the only way to measure overall improvement...weather you play one course only or all over the place.

Sand Wedge BBKing is on a distinguished road
    The handicap section of this site lets you enter your adjusted score/round, and will do the index calculation for you. Given that your average is mid 80's, you are eligible to use no higher than double bogey on any single hole, so your adjusted score will be your gross score less the number of strokes higher than double bogey on any hole. I'm not sure how many scores you need to enter before the system issues you an index.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BBKing View Post
    Given that your average is mid 80's, you are eligible to use no higher than double bogey on any single hole, so your adjusted score will be your gross score less the number of strokes higher than double bogey on any hole.
    This is not accurate.

Until you get a valid handicap, you should enter your gross score. Once you have enough rounds in for a handicap to be calculated then you determine how ESC applies based on the Course Handicap for the tees you are playing.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

it's something like index 10 or under that cap themselves at double bogey now, mid cappers can take up to 7 on any hole.

Clarifying again, it is not the golfer's index (or factor as we say in Canada) that matters, but the "Course Handicap".

If you are a 9.5 factor playing a course with a slope of 135, your course handicap would be 11 and you would have a max under ESC of 7.

Full details here: http://www.golfcanada.ca/rules/Impor...o-Handicap-Sy/

Sand Wedge BBKing is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    This is not accurate.

Until you get a valid handicap, you should enter your gross score. Once you have enough rounds in for a handicap to be calculated then you determine how ESC applies based on the Course Handicap for the tees you are playing.
    Thanks for the clarification.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    If I understand your point correctly, John, I think it may be in error. When a player does not have a Handicap Factor and is just beginning to enter his scores in accordance with Golf Canada's requirement, that player is assumed to have a 36.4 factor for purposes of determining the highest score that is allowable for any hole. In short, even a newbie is required to adjust his gross scores. I base this on the following statement in section 4 of the Handicap Manual:

"A player without an established Handicap Factor must use the maximum Handicap Factor of 36.4 for men, or 40.4 for women, converted to a Course Handicap, to determine a maximum ESC number."

Do I have this right, John?

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    This is not accurate.

Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Hi Mike,

Yep, I think you are right. I'm trying to keep those high scores out of my mind though.

Thread Information