100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Poplar Grove

Putter jimjoe is on a distinguished road

Poplar Grove

Anyone know if Poplar Grove is open yet? I don't see it on the Spring Openings list.

Putter jimjoe is on a distinguished road
    Just answered my own question. I noticed that Poplar Grove was no longer listed with Ottawa Courses so I went straight to their website: http://poplargrovegolf.ca/.

According to the web site, they are now open with reduced rates for 2012 startup.

Nationwide Player Mr. Chi is on a distinguished road Mr. Chi's Avatar
    I just saw the reduced rates posted in the OttawaGolf Deal section. I haven't played there in years - has anyone played there this year?
    "Be happy, but never satisfied." – Bruce Lee

Habitual poster OutOfTheRough is on a distinguished road OutOfTheRough's Avatar
    For $20, can't really complain. If it isn't busy, make a great place to practice short game & approach shots !!
    Proud member of the 2012 OG vs TGN Ryder Cup winning team

Team Match Play Champ 2010 DenisO is on a distinguished road DenisO's Avatar
    In my first year of being addicted to golf, I would head to this course to play. The rate was cheap, and there were never many people on the course. Looking bad, it was in pretty bad shape considering, but I think it's really good for practicing without being rushed, especially for beginners.

Cool, thanks for the feedback. A friend of mine is in that 'first year of being addicted to golf' phased and I'm looking for an inexpensive course to take him to. Would still like to here about this year's conditions though from anyone!
    Last edited by Mr. Chi; 05-29-2012 at 02:21 PM.

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Chi View Post
    Cool, thanks for the feedback. A friend of mine is in that 'first year of being addicted to golf' phased and I'm looking for an inexpensive course to take him to. Would still like to here about this year's conditions though from anyone!
    The biggest problem with Poplar Grove is that they've crammed 27 holes plus a 9-hole par 3 course onto a property that is barely large enough for 18 holes. You need to wear a hard-hat to play there, and anything more than 10 yards off-line ends up in another fairway trying to thread a shot through poplar trees to a postage-stamp green. I haven't been there in years but I always found it a very frustrating place to play.

In the south end I think Cloverdale is a better option for first year golfers, or even Cedar Glen or the 9-hole course at Metcalfe. If you're in the west end, I would recommend Irish Hills, Mountain Creek or Mapleview as forgiving and affordable golf options.

Thanks justsomeguy Out of the courses you mentioned, I haven't played Cedar Glen or Mapleview - I will check them out

Your assessment of Poplar Grove is what I remember when I last played it back in 2007. Now that I think about it, I do remember a number of people crossing into the fairway I was playing from a different hole. I was really hoping to hear it has improved since then...

6 Iron Tullamore is on a distinguished road
    New ownership has stepped in hopefully conditions will improve slowly.

Quote Originally Posted by Tullamore View Post
    New ownership has stepped in hopefully conditions will improve slowly.
    That's what I'm hoping. $20 is a pretty sweet deal.....but I'm hesitant to play a round there till I see some +ve 2012-dated feedback.

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    I stopped by today around 4:30 for a quick practice round. There were 3 cars in the parking lot - so no need for the hardhat. Otherwise, things haven't changed very much.

I played the White 9. The fairways had a lot of bare spots with equal portions of grass and clover and were only marginally shorter than the rough on many holes - but with some deft stick-handling you can usually find some grass nearby. The tee boxes were in bad shape - but there is only one par 3 on this 9 so it didn't really matter much. The greens are still small, firm and slow - but generally playable. Of course the layout is as frustrating as it always was.

Which is to say, its not bad as a practice course but I still wouldn't want to play a "real" round of golf here. With the low prices and so-so conditions, you would think this course was aimed at beginners - except that 3 out of the 7 par 4's are listed at over 400 yards. One of the them requires a 230 yard carry over a creek before you can go for the green - I don't know a lot of beginners who could manage that. The 9th hole is a 443-yard par 4 - and shares the same 10-yard strip of rough on the right-hand side with the 1st hole. Considering the target audience, they're just asking for someone to get seriously beaned in the head. The par 3 supposedly features a 185-yard carry over water - its hard to say because the tee box is 50 yards long with no yardage marker. The tiny green is effectively cut in half by the giant tree covering the entire left side. This is hardly a "beginner-friendly" golf course.

That being said, I'll probably go back to use as a practice course again. Heck, why pay $10 for a large bucket at the range when for $20 you can have an entire course to practice on! The long, tight fairways and small greens are actually good for practice, and it really doesn't matter how bad the layout is when you're not keeping score.

Habitual poster OutOfTheRough is on a distinguished road OutOfTheRough's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
    I stopped by today around 4:30 for a quick practice round. There were 3 cars in the parking lot - so no need for the hardhat. Otherwise, things haven't changed very much.

I played the White 9. The fairways had a lot of bare spots with equal portions of grass and clover and were only marginally shorter than the rough on many holes - but with some deft stick-handling you can usually find some grass nearby. The tee boxes were in bad shape - but there is only one par 3 on this 9 so it didn't really matter much. The greens are still small, firm and slow - but generally playable. Of course the layout is as frustrating as it always was.

Which is to say, its not bad as a practice course but I still wouldn't want to play a "real" round of golf here. With the low prices and so-so conditions, you would think this course was aimed at beginners - except that 3 out of the 7 par 4's are listed at over 400 yards. One of the them requires a 230 yard carry over a creek before you can go for the green - I don't know a lot of beginners who could manage that. The 9th hole is a 443-yard par 4 - and shares the same 10-yard strip of rough on the right-hand side with the 1st hole. Considering the target audience, they're just asking for someone to get seriously beaned in the head. The par 3 supposedly features a 185-yard carry over water - its hard to say because the tee box is 50 yards long with no yardage marker. The tiny green is effectively cut in half by the giant tree covering the entire left side. This is hardly a "beginner-friendly" golf course.

That being said, I'll probably go back to use as a practice course again. Heck, why pay $10 for a large bucket at the range when for $20 you can have an entire course to practice on! The long, tight fairways and small greens are actually good for practice, and it really doesn't matter how bad the layout is when you're not keeping score.

As a "practice" course I definitely like the small greens!! If you can go from fairway to green here, it will be a lot easier on the majority of course in the ottawa area, and increase your accuracy!!
    Last edited by OutOfTheRough; 06-05-2012 at 10:39 AM.
    Proud member of the 2012 OG vs TGN Ryder Cup winning team

justsomeguy, thanks for the 2012 review!

Thread Information