CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Lob Wedge Smallwood is on a distinguished road

Where to purchase black oxide solution?

I was wondering if anyone knew of a local source for blade oxide? I found some online suppliers from the us and eu, but I would like to try and refinish my putter this weekend.
    Thanks for any suggestions.

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    Ebay.

Championship Cup atomic is on a distinguished road
    Go to cdn tire and buy gun blue in the hunting section. Should set you back about ten bucks.

Thanks atomic. I found it at ct. I think it turned out okay, I ended up trying it about three times before I was happy with the results, but in the end its not too bad.

The trick is to wash the piece, and use rubber gloves...don't get oil on the metal. I usually did about 3 coats of gunblue to get a really deep finish. 30 secs on, rinse, and repeat. The key is to oil it up after it is finished to really make it look good.

Yes, I ran into the oil residue problem on my first attempt. The second time, the finish turned out alright, but I wanted to take more time sanding it down. Because dents that didn't bother me before, really bothered me once the putter was black. If I were to do the whole process again, I would invest in some higher quality sandpaper, and a few files, so that I could bring the putter back to an "as new" condition. Since this was just a trial restoration, I was to eager to get to the blueing step, and therefore rushed the prep stages.
    This was suppose to be a trial restoration, I found this putter in the garbage a few weeks ago, and wanted to practice on something other than my scotty. However, I have been using it in the basement alot and it rolls the ball really well, so I am going to give it a shot on my next few rounds. Here are a few pictures of before and after, perhaps you will have a few other tips.
    Attached Images

If you want to strip the finish, just soak the head in coke/pepsi for a couple of hours. As for dings and dents, I usually use 0000 steel wool and a lot of elbow grease. If the ding is really deep, I use a gunsmith who buffs out dents for me.

Ace TWoody is on a distinguished road TWoody's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by atomic View Post
    If you want to strip the finish, just soak the head in coke/pepsi for a couple of hours. As for dings and dents, I usually use 0000 steel wool and a lot of elbow grease. If the ding is really deep, I use a gunsmith who buffs out dents for me.
    Thanks for the tutorial Atomic. During the winter someone spilled something on my Newport 2. It ate the finish and left spots all over it. I followed these steps today and my precious looks brand new now.
    Member of the TGN Team
    MEMBER OF THE 2008, 2010, 2011, 2014, 2016 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Glad to help. It is such a simple process once you know what to do. Keep it oiled and you should make it through the season. Take the finish off over the winter when the air is nice and dry.

I have been putting mine in the basement quite frequently and the finish is starting to wear off back to base metal. Do you recommend anything other than just oil to put on? Or did my finsh just not take? I also notice that when I polish the oil on, my cloth picks up a fair amount of black

As the name suggests, the finish is an oxidization that affects only the very outer layer of steel. Wipe down and don't scrub/polish as it will take the finish off. You can always give it a quick touch up with gun blue and then oil it up.

Sir Post-a-lot bobblehead is on a distinguished road bobblehead's Avatar
    some use silicone spray instead of oil to keep the finish...not sure if its any better

Thread Information