CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Golf Pig of the Year 2012 foxman is on a distinguished road foxman's Avatar

Blisters from Golfing

The last 3 years, i have been having really bad problems getting blisters on the heals of my feet. I have had top of the line shoes, new and my old shoes still bad. I was fitted for my shoes so it is not wrong size. I walk lots over 170 rounds last year and treadmill during winter. Anyone have this problem find anything that helps. Has anyone tried the anti blister socks. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    You could always rock the golf sandal.

Hybrid Grouchy is on a distinguished road
    http://walking.about.com/cs/blisters...listerprev.htm

I've used tape or band-aids over spots that are problems before, though it's not usually an issue for me.

eta: I looked at the wicking socks mentioned in the linked article. They're pricey, for socks, but might be worth it for a chronic problem.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    You could always rock the golf sandal.
    Yes my wife told me that too, i hate them but i may have to.

Quote Originally Posted by Grouchy View Post
    http://walking.about.com/cs/blisters...listerprev.htm

I've used tape or band-aids over spots that are problems before, though it's not usually an issue for me.

eta: I looked at the wicking socks mentioned in the linked article. They're pricey, for socks, but might be worth it for a chronic problem.
    Thanks. I tried a couple of the things on there. Hoping someone has tried the anti blister socks to see if they helped.

Out of Bounds orangeTANG is on a distinguished road
    We used to put Vaseline on our heels before we played soccer - especially at the start of the season when everyone had new shoes. This helps keep blisters down, and also helps break in the back of new shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by jterpstr View Post
    We used to put Vaseline on our heels before we played soccer - especially at the start of the season when everyone had new shoes. This helps keep blisters down, and also helps break in the back of new shoes.
    Thanks i will try that too.

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    I carry sandals in my bag and take off my shoes anytime I feel friction on the heels. Then put the shoes back on when it's time to hit.

I also bought my shoes 1 size bigger than my normal shoe size. Less friction = happy feet.
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Green Jacket GarthM is on a distinguished road GarthM's Avatar
    Have you tried different brands of shoes? I know for a fact that certain brands will give me blisters (damn you Addidas...) no matter how worn in I may get them, they just do not fit my feet -- regardless of price.

Team Match Play Champ 2010 DenisO is on a distinguished road DenisO's Avatar
    I find the opposite. I had to return my shoes because they were half size too big, and caused too much friction. My right foot was getting one blister over another, but now I bought these puppies in a snug fit so I should be good to go.
    http://www.kikkor.com/products/Tour-Class-White-Shadow

Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    I carry sandals in my bag and take off my shoes anytime I feel friction on the heels. Then put the shoes back on when it's time to hit.

I also bought my shoes 1 size bigger than my normal shoe size. Less friction = happy feet.

Wannamaker mjf is on a distinguished road mjf's Avatar
    I'm no expert, but I'd say that if you're getting blisters then there's a good chance your shoes aren't a perfect fit.

I saw a short segment on the "Golf Fitness Academy" about this sort of thing. Specifically, they mentioned people who have problems with wearing out/through the heels of their shoes. They recommended an alternate method for lacing the shoes. It's a bit tricky to describe but I'll try my best:

Lace your shoes normally but don't do the last/top hole. Now, instead of running the laces across to the other side as you would normally, loop them back in through that last hole on the same side. Now tie the shoes using that "lace loop". Clear as mud? See the top picture here: http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/locklacing.htm

I'm on my 2nd or 3rd pair of Adidas Tour 360 4.0s. I love them but the foam at the heel keeps wearing through. I've started using this method and my foot feels a lot more secure now. Of course, I'm wearing shoes that I've already worn through so... who knows?
    Twitter: @mfarquharson73

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DenisO View Post
    I find the opposite. I had to return my shoes because they were half size too big, and caused too much friction. My right foot was getting one blister over another, but now I bought these puppies in a snug fit so I should be good to go.
    http://www.kikkor.com/products/Tour-Class-White-Shadow
    I agree, you don't want them sliding around on you. Hard to say, even expensive shoes can give you blisters. My ecco's did that at first, as they are pretty stiff out of the box, but now are great. I do like my Puma Cell Fusions, wore a brand new pair for 18 yesterday with no problems at all. Everyone is different in terms of feet, so you just need to find a pair that fits great out of the box. Moleskin works as well (a lot of hikers use it), put it on before you play. You can get it an drugstores.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    As has been mentioned, if you are getting blisters, the shoes are wrong for your feet.

Size (length of foot) is not the only thing that matters. The shape of your foot (heel width, arch height, etc) also matter and the shape of the last that they used to make the shoe needs to match.

In my case, I am the anti-GarthM in that Adidas fit my feet perfectly. Pretty much every FootJoy model does not.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Green Jacket GarthM is on a distinguished road GarthM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    In my case, I am the anti-GarthM in that Adidas fit my feet perfectly. Pretty much every FootJoy model does not.
    HA! Too funny...I can pretty much put on any FJ in my size and walk 36 with no problems whatsoever.

Hopelessly Addicted jsttaylor is on a distinguished road jsttaylor's Avatar
    I had a problem like this for years. For me, it wasn't the bottom of the heal, it's the back of my heal/foot between the base of my heal and the height of my ankle. I was always putting bandaids or tape on the back of my foot to try and counter act this. Not much helped. Went to Golftown at Trainyards one Sunday 2 years ago when I had some time to kill and talked/worked with one of the reps for over an hour. He started off measuring and then brought me some shoes. I'd try them on and he'd watch me walk around. It didn't take him too long to determine that I had a narrow heal. When I'd walk, the back of my foot would lift/ride up the shoe a little bit causing the blisters. I'm not sure if this is your problem but this was mine. He advised me that only FJ and Ecco make shoes with a little narrower heal part than other manufacturers. My best options were the $150 FJ Boa's, the ones with the click lock on the back and no laces, or a set of Ecco's that were $450. I went with the FJ's and have not had a problem since. I walked 50 rounds 2 years ago and 40 last year. No blisters. Hope this helps.
    Born to Golf Forced to Work

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    Is this a problem for you all season? I got one on my left heel after my 1st 18 hole walk, but its gone away now.
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Sakuraba View Post
    Is this a problem for you all season? I got one on my left heel after my 1st 18 hole walk, but its gone away now.
    It seems the last 2 years its been all the time. Did alot of tricks as mentioned. It seems since i lot weight over 90 lb. I get them badly,that is why i went and got my shoes fitted.

Would just like to thank everybody for your help. Lots of great and helpful people on here. Again thanks alot.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by foxman View Post
    It seems since i lot weight over 90 lb. I get them badly,that is why i went and got my shoes fitted.
    Well there you go, your feet got skinnier too!

Good luck with your shoe search.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Thanks going to try stupid golf sandals. Could not even put on my golf shoes today without hurting. Had to play with plain sandals can not even wear any shoes right now. Sandals i only slipped 3 times lol.

Medalist imozzie is on a distinguished road imozzie's Avatar
    Played a lot of competitive racquet sports - tennis, racquetball and squash. Heat, moisture and friction would often lead players to blisters. Go to a good mens store and buy silk socks (very thin). Wear the silk socks as a liner to your regular socks. No heat, no moisture, no friction. Thus, no blisters. An old trick...but I've never forgotten that it worked!
    "If profanity had any influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be a lot easier than it is" - Horace Hutchinson (1903)

Gotta Post Break68 is on a distinguished road Break68's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by imozzie View Post
    Played a lot of competitive racquet sports - tennis, racquetball and squash. Heat, moisture and friction would often lead players to blisters. Go to a good mens store and buy silk socks (very thin). Wear the silk socks as a liner to your regular socks. No heat, no moisture, no friction. Thus, no blisters. An old trick...but I've never forgotten that it worked!
    Wouldn't Polypropylene socks do the same thing?
    Obviously you're not a golfer.

Gotta Post Break68 is on a distinguished road Break68's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mjf View Post
    I'm no expert, but I'd say that if you're getting blisters then there's a good chance your shoes aren't a perfect fit.

I saw a short segment on the "Golf Fitness Academy" about this sort of thing. Specifically, they mentioned people who have problems with wearing out/through the heels of their shoes. They recommended an alternate method for lacing the shoes. It's a bit tricky to describe but I'll try my best:

Lace your shoes normally but don't do the last/top hole. Now, instead of running the laces across to the other side as you would normally, loop them back in through that last hole on the same side. Now tie the shoes using that "lace loop". Clear as mud? See the top picture here: http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/locklacing.htm

I'm on my 2nd or 3rd pair of Adidas Tour 360 4.0s. I love them but the foam at the heel keeps wearing through. I've started using this method and my foot feels a lot more secure now. Of course, I'm wearing shoes that I've already worn through so... who knows?
    mjf, I just tried the lace loop locking thing from that website and my golf shoes have never fit so well, thank you.
    Obviously you're not a golfer.

Team Match Play Champ 2010 Singles Match Play Champ 2013 Hearzy is on a distinguished road Hearzy's Avatar
    I picked up a pair of golf sandals from golfsmith last year. Have not tried them out yet though. They seem (for a sandal) they will be pretty good... But right now I have three pairs of shoes that are in good to/NIB condition...

What size of shoe do you wear? May be able to swing you a good deal on em....

PM me if interested. I think they are a 10 or 11.

Quote Originally Posted by imozzie View Post
    Yes i am going to try the sock trick. I never knew until i googled about blisters to stay away from cotton socks.

Quote Originally Posted by mjf View Post

I just did my laces like that and will give it a try when i can put on a shoe. Played with regular sandals until i can wear a shoe.
    Thanks for the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by Hearzy View Post
    I picked up a pair of golf sandals from golfsmith last year. Have not tried them out yet though. They seem (for a sandal) they will be pretty good... But right now I have three pairs of shoes that are in good to/NIB condition...

What size of shoe do you wear? May be able to swing you a good deal on em....

PM me if interested. I think they are a 10 or 11.

Unfortunately i take a size 8. Thanks anyway.

Team Match Play Champ 2010 Singles Match Play Champ 2013 Hearzy is on a distinguished road Hearzy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by foxman View Post
    Unfortunately i take a size 8. Thanks anyway.
    No worries. They will get put into the cycle eventually

Making Cuts habsfan is on a distinguished road habsfan's Avatar
    i have the same problem when they are new- i now take a hair dryer to the heel and crush and soften the leading edge on the heels and problem solved i think there too stiff and just constant rubbing no flex.

Quote Originally Posted by habsfan View Post
    i have the same problem when they are new- i now take a hair dryer to the heel and crush and soften the leading edge on the heels and problem solved i think there too stiff and just constant rubbing no flex.
    Thanks, I will give that a try.

Thread Information