CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Grip Size Chart

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar

Grip Size Chart

Found this on the web while I was searching for my own grips, thought others may find it usefull if you are thinking of changing your grips.

Size .560 .580 .600 .620 .690/.710 .865
    56 STD +1/64 +1/32 NR NR NR
    58 -1/64 STD +1/64 +1/32 NR NR
    60 NR -1/64 STD +1/64 NR NR
    62 NR NR -1/64 STD NR NR
    86 NR NR NR NR NR STD

Denny

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    This is neither a personal attack nor a criticism, but charts like these, while perhaps a reasonable starting point to determine grip size, bother me.

Someone out there has decided that if your fingers just touch the heel pab of the thumb, that you have the perfect grip size. Can someone explain why this is ideal? If it is because a grip too large causes a slice and a grip too small causes a hook, that is a myth. If it because a grip too large inhibits wrist hingeing, and vica versa, that is another myth.

Having the golfer try different grip sizes to find the size with which he feels most comfortable, hits the best shots, and gives him a feeling of control, is better than saying, "Here, this is the size you need." Try using a large grip for a week or two and then go back to a very small one. You won't be using it very long.

Name one other sport where you hit an object with a "club" that has a grip the size of your pinky.

I agree with that there is no perfect size grip and you should go by feel. That's why the chart I posted shows what the grip size will be after it is installed based on the diameter of the grip and that of the shaft. Therefore if a +1/64 grip feels best for you and you have a .600 butt shaft then all you have to do is put on a .58 grip size and you do not have to worry about building up the grip with tape.
    Denny

Shagging Balls jbrace is on a distinguished road jbrace's Avatar
    Thanks for that info Denny. I agree totally with BC Mist that these "guides" are just that - guides. According to the guide, I need a standard size grip, but I know for a fact that a larger grip works better for me and feels better too. Last year, at the Kingston golf show, I wanted to try out a Taylormade LT iron. Well, the Taylormade rep did not have a lefty in stiff (surprise surprise). But he did have his own personal 6 iron on hand (in lefty). Anyways, this guy had a super huge grip on it. I mean, this thing was bigger than any grip I've ever seen. It was about the size of the small end of a baseball bat! So, he let me hit it and it felt really good. I felt like I had much better control and awareness of what the club was doing, particular through impact. Anyways, I ended up putting larger grips on a few of my clubs as a trial and have no intentions of going back to the standard size grip.

I too use a bigger grip +1/16, but not just because I am a bigger guy but because I like the feel. It makes me feel as if the club isn't going anywhere. I find that my grip pressure is a lot less when I use mid size grips and we all know that white knuckling the club is a killer for hinging. I was always curious on how many layers of tape was needed to achieve the +1/16 that I like or what size a grip would be according to the size of the butt on the shaft. This all came to me when I was looking on Golfworks for new grips and saw the same grip both standards in 2 different sizes, one .580 and one .600. Now I can use the chart and know what grip size matches what shaft and go from there or better yet for me buy the .580 grip and on my .600 butt and I won't have to use as much tape to get to +1/16. To anybody else who cares or doesn't know if you are at std with grip and shaft and want to build up your clubs each additional layer of tape adds a size EX. 1 layer = +1/64, 2 = +1/32. 3 = +1/16 4 = +1/8 and 5= +1/4 which is really big! This can be found on Golf Prides website on I think they should know a thing or two about grips.
    Denny

Thread Information