100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar

BC MIST question-Shaft profiling TT vs Mercury

BC Mist. Someone asked me the following question:
    I was wondering if you know how the frequencies for the Mercury Savage iron shaft compare to the TT Dynamic Golds?

I provided an answer but I am curious to know your answer since you have been profiling lots of shafts lately using your frequency meter.

Mercury shafts were not meant to be tip trimmed in the first place. Read all about it by viewing the following post.

http://www.freegolfinfo.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1136941

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Andre Cantin
    BC Mist. Someone asked me the following question:
    I was wondering if you know how the frequencies for the Mercury Savage iron shaft compare to the TT Dynamic Golds?

I provided an answer but I am curious to know your answer since you have been profiling lots of shafts lately using your frequency meter.
    My tip weight is a 555 g drill chuck so the frequencies may differ from someone using a different weight or device(NF4?). Where the differences become meaningful to me is when I calculate the perentage differences at each of the 6 zones.

Dynamic Gold S300 750 482 345 275 237 202
    Mercury Savage S 725 460 339 270 223 193

Percent difference 3.4 4.8 1.8 1.8 6.3 4.7

So it appears that the Savage is a little softer than the Dynamic Gold in both the tip and butt areas, but comparable in the mid section.

Now tell me your results and the implications of my observation.

Green Jacket GarthM is on a distinguished road GarthM's Avatar

Question Interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Andre Cantin
    Mercury shafts were not meant to be tip trimmed in the first place. Read all about it by viewing the following post.

http://www.freegolfinfo.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1136941
    Hmmm me thinks me knows where this question came from....

That is interesting and may explain why their site only has trimming instructions for the Savage Steel in the Upper Stiff and Upper Reg flexes. Given that they do not recommend tipping in general, if the hosel on the head I will use is only 1.18 inches(30mm -- Wishon 550's) and their CPM numbers assume a 1.25" hosel, should I try trimming off the difference? 1.75mm is not much in the grand scheme of things now is it? (in fact I think I would go crazy trying to trim it effectively anyways!)

According to the examples on Mercury's site, using a 302 CPM (based on a 205g weight, raw length shaft (not sure but I seem to recall they are 40"), 1.25" hosel depth, butt clamped 5") a 258g 5-iron head in an assembled length of 38" will produce their centerline S flex. (http://www.mercurygolf.com/udef_trim_guide.cfm -- scroll all the way down)

According to their numbers +\- 2 g head weight = 1CPM.

If I have a 253g 5-iron head and use the same shaft above, assembled length of 38", hozel depth of 1.18" will the same shaft play a little softer? i.e. 302-2.5(5-gram weight difference) = 299.5 In such a case should I be tip trimming or going with a stiffer shaft or just ignoring such a small difference?

Thanks

GarthM

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by GarthM

That is interesting and may explain why their site only has trimming instructions for the Savage Steel in the Upper Stiff and Upper Reg flexes. Given that they do not recommend tipping in general, if the hosel on the head I will use is only 1.18 inches(30mm -- Wishon 550's) and their CPM numbers assume a 1.25" hosel, should I try trimming off the difference? 1.75mm is not much in the grand scheme of things now is it? (in fact I think I would go crazy trying to trim it effectively anyways!)

According to the examples on Mercury's site, using a 302 CPM (based on a 205g weight, raw length shaft (not sure but I seem to recall they are 40"), 1.25" hosel depth, butt clamped 5") a 258g 5-iron head in an assembled length of 38" will produce their centerline S flex. (http://www.mercurygolf.com/udef_trim_guide.cfm -- scroll all the way down)

If I have a 253g 5-iron head and use the same shaft above, assembled length of 38", hozel depth of 1.18" will the same shaft play a little softer? i.e. 302-2.5(5-gram weight difference) = 299.5 In such a case should I be tip trimming or going with a stiffer shaft or just ignoring such a small difference?

Thanks

GarthM

We can check all this out when you come out to pick out your heads as I have a few of the Savage shafts here and a frequency analyzer.

The raw length for Mercury Savage Steel shafts is 41 inches.
    http://www.konagolfsales.com/Stepless%20Steel.htm

Also if you read the note at the bottom of the savage steel shafts from the Mercury web site it says:

+/-0.25 hosel depth=2cpm
    +/-2 degrees of lie change= 1/2 cpm
    +/- 2 grams head weight= 1cpm

In your case and if my calculations are correct we are only talking about .07 inches difference in hosel depth which means peanuts in terms of cpm difference. If you can find a golfer who can tell the difference between the 2 then his name is ET.

Quote Originally Posted by GarthM

Thanks

GarthM

Green Jacket GarthM is on a distinguished road GarthM's Avatar
    Well my mother always said I was a Libra........

Cheers thanks

GarthM

Bogie Kona Golf is on a distinguished road Kona Golf's Avatar

To Tip or Not To Tip?

Mercury has sold to many DIY's for many years. Although they did recommend you could butt trim only, (which will give a shallow but consistent slope) the experienced clubmaker has always tipped to fit the desired slope.

By butt trimming to length, a novice builder would not likely get into any trouble, but would still have a reasonable set of clubs, do to the consistency of the shafts.

I usually tip the graphite 3/8 - 1/2 between Irons. The Woods tip like most others, 0 for driver, 1" for 3 wood, and 2" for 5 & 7 wood.

The Savage Steel tip just like most steel shafts in half inch increments. This will, in most cases give you 3.5 - 4 cpm slope, if all else is correct.

Hope this helps!

Jim Klassen,
    Kona Golf Sales

Thread Information