CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Bogie tigger12 is on a distinguished road

Tiger's drop on the Par 5 Fri at the Masters

When Tiger took his drop it looked to be very near a hazard line on his left. When he set up it looked to me like his back heel was very close to the line. My question is if his heel was on the hazard line does that constitute not taking total relief? If that is the case should he have dropped again?
    What constitutes total relief?

Major Poster Chambokl is on a distinguished road Chambokl's Avatar
    I saw that and was wondering... but he was in a different hazard, if that makes any sense or was it all the same hazard??
    If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tigger12 View Post
    When Tiger took his drop it looked to be very near a hazard line on his left. When he set up it looked to me like his back heel was very close to the line. My question is if his heel was on the hazard line does that constitute not taking total relief? If that is the case should he have dropped again?
    What constitutes total relief?
    Apologies, I have to correct myself. You are allowed to stand in a hazard to play a ball outside of it, even if you have taken relief from that hazard. Interference only applies to abnormal ground conditions, obstructions, etc.
    Last edited by LobWedge; 04-07-2012 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Made a boo boo
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Scratch Player byerxa is on a distinguished road byerxa's Avatar
    It may have been the camera angle/optical illusion, but it appeared to me he dropped to the right of the line from the pin through the POE. You could see where he put a tee in at the POE and then looked like to me he dropped to the right of the line to avoid going back further than he did.
    I don't have an ulcer - I am just a carrier.

Bogie tigger12 is on a distinguished road
    I agree the ball was outside the red hazard line spray painted on the grass. but I looked at the video again today and it looked like his feet were on the hazard line. I thought you had to take complete relief, which meant your feet had to be outside the hazard. My guess is Tiger knows the rules way better than I do.

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road
    Complete relief is only applicable if the relief is free of penalty. eg GUR, Cart Path
    It does not apply to relief with a penalty. eg water hazard, unplayable

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Makes sense as Rose did the same thing yesterday at 15
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    I'm sure Tiger knows the rules.... he's had enough experience at dropping lately, he could teach a class on it!
    The opinions expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily reflect the opinions of others on OG.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    Makes sense as Rose did the same thing yesterday at 15
    Yes he did.

When taking relief from a water hazard, yellow stakes/lines, one must drop the ball "behind" the hazard keeping the point of entry between the hole and the player. Normally, one would have to play over the water hazard to get to the hole. In Justin's case, he aligned his dropping point with where the ball last crossed the hazard margin, but actually played well out to the right because of the slope of the green, and did not have to play across any part of the hazard, which is unusual.

President's Cup Wknd_Warrior is on a distinguished road Wknd_Warrior's Avatar
    while we're talking about taking releif, can you improve your lie do to taking a drop? I was on the cart path near a green, the nearest point of releif no closer to the hole was on the green side of thecart path, and within a club length I could drop on the actual green. We talked abou t it at the time and al more lor less agreed it was a legal drop. I actually dropped it in the rough, but the guy I was playing with pointed that out.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road
    When you take relief from a cart path you get one club length from your nearest point of relief and not closer to the hole. You can't drop and have the ball come to rest in a hazard or on the putting green so you couldn't drop on the green in this situation. You don't have to drop in the rough unless that is the area of your one club length of your nearest point of relief. Sometimes the rules can work for you.

so you can improve your lie, just not onto the green. Cool

Not sure what you mean by improve your lie but if you don't always have to drop in the rough unless that's the area that your drop area is. Even if you dropped in the rough and your ball happened to roll less than two club lengths from where it touched the ground and not closer to the hole and it happened to be in the short grass (not putting green) then you're lucky.

if the cart path is in the rough, but the closest point of releif no closer to the hole is the fairway side of the path, then less than a club length let's me drop on the fairway, that's fair game. That's what I'm getting.

You've got it right.

kewl

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Wknd_Warrior View Post
    while we're talking about taking releif, can you improve your lie do to taking a drop? I was on the cart path near a green, the nearest point of releif no closer to the hole was on the green side of thecart path, and within a club length I could drop on the actual green. We talked abou t it at the time and al more lor less agreed it was a legal drop. I actually dropped it in the rough, but the guy I was playing with pointed that out.
    As pointed out, in this scenario, you are not allowed to drop a ball on the putting green.

Now, can you think of a scenario where you would be allowed to drop the ball on the putting green?

Shotmaker spidey is on a distinguished road spidey's Avatar
    I'll take a stab....

- Ball comes to rest in tree overhanging a green. Player elects to drop within 2 clublengths of the vertical spot where the ball lies. The entire area within 2 clublengths of the ball is within the green. Ball must be dropped on the green.

- Green is adjacent to lateral hazard. Last point where the ball crossed the margin of the hazard is on the green. Player elects to drop within 2 clublengths of the point at which the ball last crossed the margin of the hazard, which is on the green. Ball must be dropped.

....I'm guessing there are other scenarios.
    [color=blue]s[/color][color=red]p[/color][color=blue]i[/color][color=red]d[/color][color=blue]e[/color][color=red]y[/color]

[color=seagreen]"Got more dirt than ball. Here we go again."
    Alan Shepard, Apollo 14 Commander, Amateur-Golfer, preparing to take another swing during his famous moon walk in 1971.
    [/color]

Thread Information