Quote Originally Posted by cleek View Post
stats should definatley be considered but watching a player play is the best way to evaluate overall effectiveness on the ice. When I see players cutting accross the ice to go down Karlsson lane that's a sign that they want to go 1/1 with him. He still can't handle the big winger who puts on a burst just over the blue line. Not saying he does not deserve the Norris this year just saying he is not the best all round d-man in the league IMO. I'd also consider intimidation factor , who wants to chip the puck into the corner when you know Chara or Weber is going to meet you ? the one advantage Karlsson has there is speed to the puck but he is not going to intimidate anyone as far as playing the body. He had a great year , looking forward to see if he can replicate next year. one last point , consider which defenceman is on the ice when the game is winding down and a team is protecting a 1 goal lead ( under a minute left in the game )
Okay, I agree with you that Chara and Weber are better than Karlsson defensively but I think what Karlsson did offensively this year on a team picked to finish last in the East is simply amazing. Who would you pick as the Norris winner this year?

For me it'd be 1) Karlsson, 2) Weber, 3) Chara.