100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    President's Cup Wknd_Warrior is on a distinguished road Wknd_Warrior's Avatar

dialing back the ball

reading those masters links led me to some articles about ball distance. There's a lot of talk recently about shorter balls, and some kind of trial going on in Canada.

I think this is a good idea, I don't want to be an old fogey, and games change, but it's gotten out of hand. I'd say half the players on this board can reach most par 5s with a second shot using a 5i or higher. Everyone argues about the amateur golfer who only drives 180, well what about the hacker that drives 260 and never get's to use their 6i?

While they are at it, they can shrink the head down on the driver a bit so if ya wanna go for that 300 yarder there is some small element of risk.

rant over...

Wannamaker mjf is on a distinguished road mjf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wknd_Warrior View Post
    reading those masters links led me to some articles about ball distance. There's a lot of talk recently about shorter balls, and some kind of trial going on in Canada.

I think this is a good idea, I don't want to be an old fogey, and games change, but it's gotten out of hand. I'd say half the players on this board can reach most par 5s with a second shot using a 5i or higher. Everyone argues about the amateur golfer who only drives 180, well what about the hacker that drives 260 and never get's to use their 6i?
    I'm not necessarily saying I disagree with your idea about rolling back the ball but I don't agree with your claim that 50% of players can reach par 5's with 5-irons. I consider myself to be adequately long (at best!) and, off the top of my head, I can only think of one par 5 that I routinely play where I expect to have a 5-iron or less in my hands for my second shot if I've hit a good drive... That hole is #6 at Equinelle and it's 488 yards from the back tees!

If people are running into this issue, I think they should consider moving back to the next set of tees.
    Twitter: @mfarquharson73

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mjf View Post
    I'm not necessarily saying I disagree with your idea about rolling back the ball but I don't agree with your claim that 50% of players can reach par 5's with 5-irons. I consider myself to be adequately long (at best!) and, off the top of my head, I can only think of one par 5 that I routinely play where I expect to have a 5-iron or less in my hands for my second shot if I've hit a good drive... That hole is #6 at Equinelle and it's 488 yards from the back tees!

If people are running into this issue, I think they should consider moving back to the next set of tees.
    I'd agree. I'd call myself pretty average in terms of length and there's not many I can get to in 2 that are 500yds, (unless the wind is at my back) let alone with a 5 iron. A very good drive for me is 250 so that still leaves me 250 and with a 3 wood in my hand, hit well leaves me ~25-35 yds short. I need all the the length I can get.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

President's Cup Wknd_Warrior is on a distinguished road Wknd_Warrior's Avatar
    I may have been exagerating. But I've golfed with many people on this board that would be 475+ with a driver 5i.

I sort of assume half this board is young guys and/or low cappers that regularely drive 290 on par 5s when they let it fly, you're right tho, probably not.

A lot of mid range courses seem to have one 5 nicely over 500, the rest around 500 with a short one. Mid summer, 3 of those are no 3wood required par 4s for a lot of players these days.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    I sort of assume half this board is young guys and/or low cappers that regularely drive 290 on par 5s when they let it fly
    I think most of the board are old fat guys who think they can drive it 300 when in fact it only goes 230.

There are certainly a few big hitters out there but I'd say for the majority of us recreational golfers it really doesn't matter. If the PGA Tour or USGA is worried about scores then they can narrow the fairways and grow the rough.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Thread Information