+ Reply to Thread
    Out of Bounds orangeTANG is on a distinguished road

Will Golf Town adjust prices based on US retail?

I'm shopping for a new Taylormade Rescue 11 hybrid and I noticed that Golftown wants $219 for the same thing that is available at both Golfsmith and Golf Galaxy for $179US.

I travel to the US all the time, but taking a single club home is a bit of a pain. I don't mind paying a bit of a premium to buy it locally, but $40 is a bit much. Besides, I have some gift cards for Golftown that I wouldn't mind using up.

Does anyone have experience "negotiating" prices on clubs at Golftown?

Champion racmbs is on a distinguished road racmbs's Avatar
    No, GT will only price match on advertised pricing for Canadian authorized retailers of products they carry.

If they matched US pricing, they might as well list at US pricing and save the aggravation.

Sir Post-a-lot bobblehead is on a distinguished road bobblehead's Avatar
    GT Canada won't even price match GT USA so don't even bother with other US golf stores

Driver Muddler is on a distinguished road
    Say what you will about Golf Town, I've noticed that they lowered their retail prices across the board last year to bring them closer to US prices. They don't seem to have as good sale prices anymore to compensate though. A few clubs are actually cheaper than the US retail though. You really need to dig around and compare.

I agree, in many cases their clubs are in line with US pricing. That's actually why I posted this question because this appears to be one of the few clubs that are substantially (in my opinion) more than the US.

3 Wood Shreen is on a distinguished road
    With the new duty limit increases, there may be more downward pressure on their prices. Maybe?

I agree, and I'm sure that's exactly what the government had in mind - it wasn't to lose business to the south.

That said, I just checked the Golftown US website, and it too is $30 cheaper than in Canada. I'd be curious to know if there are any variables other than the monopoly they have here in Canada that makes the price that much higher.

Oh well - If anyone has a used one they're looking to replace with something else - shoot me a PM.

Forum Jedi golfisforfun is on a distinguished road
    It's called cost of doing business in Canada!!! And yes, it does cost 30% more to operate in Canada. Just check your hydro bill as a start...

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Buy it in the US, lilkely you will get free shipping if you send it to the UPS store in Ogdensburg, cost you you about $5 UPS pick up fee, $5.50 toll bridge, and gas is a wash seeing you can fill your tank at $1.05/litre
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Hi guys---be carefull on the gas--arived home yesterday---Watertown 4.08 per US GALLON---plus $ exchange and smaller gallon it works out to over 5.00 per gallon-still cheaper than here but---------------!!!!!

Maybe wait untill June with the new import amounts---YIPPEE
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Just read the complete thread-interesting. IF you can get far enough south you are going to find much better deals than in the northern states---esp in north and south Carolina. the PGA Superstores/golf galaxy and some really bigger liquidators have lots of stuff.

I'm not sure about some of the on-line stores--by the time you get all the cost tallied --it's a toss up!!!!!!!!!!!! PLUS---there has been a lot of talk this year regarding counterfiet merchandise. I like to touch before I buy

Birdie Sunny D is on a distinguished road Sunny D's Avatar
    Ditto to looking down south. Florida in the summer (should you happen to be taking the kiddies to Disney) has some great deals during their down season. A few years ago I got a set of PING's at the Naples PGA superstore for half of what the same clubs were selling for here. Now I know it was clearance, and probably once in a lifetime but I check out Edwin Watts, PGA Superstore and even Dick's everytime I am in Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunny D View Post
    Ditto to looking down south. Florida in the summer (should you happen to be taking the kiddies to Disney) has some great deals during their down season. A few years ago I got a set of PING's at the Naples PGA superstore for half of what the same clubs were selling for here. Now I know it was clearance, and probably once in a lifetime but I check out Edwin Watts, PGA Superstore and even Dick's everytime I am in Florida.
    Yeah---I forgot about Edwin Watts---they just opened a new store in Hilton Head and had some pretty good deals

Birdie Sunny D is on a distinguished road Sunny D's Avatar
    I hit Edwin Watts all the time. They often have in store specials that they don't advertise especially in the summer. Last year at this time they were selling cabretta leather gloves for 8 bucks. They were 20 something here at the time. Bags of golf tees were 1 buck. Needless to say I don't need gloves or tees for a while

Championship Cup atomic is on a distinguished road
    So maybe we should be asking Esso and PetroCanada to price-match gasoline as well?

GT is local, pays rent, duties and gives you the chance to hit clubs live and in person. That is a premium service compared to ordering on-line in a no-frills environment. They can't be full-service at a discounted price.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    They can't be full-service at a discounted price.
    They could, but they wouldn't last very long.

People want their cake and want to eat it too it seems.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Quote Originally Posted by atomic View Post
    So maybe we should be asking Esso and PetroCanada to price-match gasoline as well?

GT is local, pays rent, duties and gives you the chance to hit clubs live and in person. That is a premium service compared to ordering on-line in a no-frills environment. They can't be full-service at a discounted price.
    This thread wasn't about started about comparing prices to online. I understand that there is substantial overhead compared online shops. I was comparing prices to retail stores in the US, Golfsmith, Golf Galaxy etc, that all have the same premium service. In fact, I can even compare the price to GolfTown USA and there is still a $30 difference in price.

Thats all. Before I went into the store to ask, I wanted to get other people's experience around negotiating prices on clubs.

Bogie Kona Golf is on a distinguished road Kona Golf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jterpstr View Post
    This thread wasn't about started about comparing prices to online. I understand that there is substantial overhead compared online shops. I was comparing prices to retail stores in the US, Golfsmith, Golf Galaxy etc, that all have the same premium service. In fact, I can even compare the price to GolfTown USA and there is still a $30 difference in price.

Thats all. Before I went into the store to ask, I wanted to get other people's experience around negotiating prices on clubs.
    Ask to speak with the manager or assistant manager. All they can do is say no!

Don't forget that there is 7% duty on golf clubs coming into Canada (legally) as well additional shipping.

Please Folks, support your local businesses!

5 Wood rossigm is on a distinguished road rossigm's Avatar
    Hi guys,

I emailed the manager of the Gatineau Golf Town a few weeks ago inquiring about the U.S.prices of the Adidas Tour 360 ATV golf shoes. They retail at $189.00 in the States versus $229.00 in Canada. Here's the response I received. I guess it applies to everything else too?

"Good afternoon,

I have looked into your request and this was the response from our head office shoe buyer:

Sorry. No it wont be going down in price anytime soon. In fact there is 18% duty on shoes from the US to Canada so that $189.99 is actually $224. So we are right inline for pricing.

This not to say that Adidas will not be offering a rebate on the shoe but we unfortunately do not if or when this will happen. Usually price do drop a bit in August for our clearance sale but once again there no guaranties that this specific item will drop. Also this shoe was released late last year and is still the current in-line product going forward this year. Usually the price will drop when a new product is going to be released to replace the current one, this will not probably happen until late this year or early 2013.

I would like to thank you for your question and your desire to support our business. Please do not hesitate to contact us with any other inquiries.

Have a great day"

Championship Cup leftygolfguy is on a distinguished road
    FWIW- I just bought a driver from a local pro-shop @ the Canadian and they will beat GT prices on pretty much anything (in my experience), in fact they were offering the Cleveland Classic 310 tour driver for US retail, I think. Plus you get loyalty points towards free golf.

I know we sometimes get locked into GT or the US, but keep in mind that local pro-shops are another option- and sometime the value can be pretty good.

Golf Pig of the Year 2012 foxman is on a distinguished road foxman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by leftygolfguy View Post
    FWIW- I just bought a driver from a local pro-shop @ the Canadian and they will beat GT prices on pretty much anything (in my experience), in fact they were offering the Cleveland Classic 310 tour driver for US retail, I think. Plus you get loyalty points towards free golf.

I know we sometimes get locked into GT or the US, but keep in mind that local pro-shops are another option- and sometime the value can be pretty good.
    Yes you are right on that, the pro shop at NationView prices are usually same price or cheaper then most golf retailers without haggling.

6 Iron KurtW is on a distinguished road KurtW's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jterpstr View Post
    I'm shopping for a new Taylormade Rescue 11 hybrid and I noticed that Golftown wants $219 for the same thing that is available at both Golfsmith and Golf Galaxy for $179US.

I travel to the US all the time, but taking a single club home is a bit of a pain. I don't mind paying a bit of a premium to buy it locally, but $40 is a bit much. Besides, I have some gift cards for Golftown that I wouldn't mind using up.

Does anyone have experience "negotiating" prices on clubs at Golftown?
    At the GolfTown in Richmond, BC I've had them match US prices. I bought the Titleist 910 D2 driver last year and they matched the US price as it was $50 cheaper in the US. I talked to the manager and he was happy to do it. Vancouver is a little different situation from Ottawa as the Bellingham,WA golf shops are only a 35 minute drive from GolfTown in Richmond. I can understand why GT here won't do it as they don't have to compete "locally" but talk to the manager and ask, it can't hurt.

Putter linkwray is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by leftygolfguy View Post

That is my experience as well. And despite having an advertised policy of matching prices, GT would not match the price of a club I was recently interested in buying that was being sold substantially cheaper at a pro shop.

Thread Information