+ Reply to Thread
    Lob Wedge Ticker is on a distinguished road

Could my "Super Game Improvement" irons be hurting my game?

Hey guys, just looking for some opinions regarding a thought I have about my irons. I play a set of Taylormade RACs OS2 (2005). I purchased them new in 2009 I believe.

My irons have a ton of offset when I compare them to other irons. This will be my third year playing. My first year I only played irons and had trouble with hooking the ball which I believe was caused by the offset. Last year I straightened things out and developed a nice baby fade and started to hit 3wood. Near the end of golf season last year I started to implement driver as well.

So far I've been flushing my irons pretty well this year (4 rounds in) and the 3 wood and driver are so so. My miss is a slice and I've determined it is caused by me not having the clubhead squared at impact. It took me the longest time to figure out what the problem was but pondering about it this winter certainly helped.

I can now hit much straighter tee shots with my driver and 3 wood when I am conscious of squaring the head at impact and not leaving it open. My theory is that when hitting my irons my hands are positioned in a way that is open since there is soo much offset. However, when I do the same thing with driver or 3wood, it slices hard since I don't have the same offset.

The last few rounds I've had a few misses left with my irons which is something I rarely do. I am thinking that conscious thought of squaring the head at impact is creeping into my iron play causing me to hit a draw and going left of my target.

Does this make sense to anyone or am I going crazy? If it helps I am roughly a 15 handicap. This will be the first year that I really start traking it. I would like to break 80 once this year and get into a single digit handicap. My best score at Upper Canada Golf course last year was 84. I usually averaged anywhere from 85-92.

Cheers

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    First off, it sounds like you've got a LOT of things going on in your head during a swing, that's generally bad.

Now on to the technical stuff. Offset in woods/irons is actually intended to give you more time to square the clubface at impact in order to reduce/prevent a slice. So, your theory about the offset potentially causing the draw could be valid.

Or it could be something else. As an example, most people who slice try to fix it by aiming further left (right handed golfer). This actually makes things worse since now they are open to the target and are more likely to cut across the ball, making the slice worse. If you are confident that you are aimed correctly and your swing path is good then the offset could be hurting you.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    There definitely comes a time when it might be a good idea to toss the alleged "Super Game Improvement" irons away.
    Thos clubs are designed to compensate for someone who has trouble squaring the face at impact. It sounds like you have outgrown that necessity. I personally would look for more of a player's club with minimal offset to help you get to the next level.
    The opinions expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily reflect the opinions of others on OG.

Par gregnol is on a distinguished road gregnol's Avatar
    i had a similar thought when i first took up the game, i had a knock off set of callaway x-12's that had a huge sole and alot of bounce. i struggled with anything under a 7 iron but only with that specific set. when i used my older brothers players clubs i could flush a 3-iron (most of the time). i switched to a players clubs (ben hogan apex plus) and was able to hit all of my irons crisp. i still to this day cannot hit a wide soled iron (as well as a players club) just because of the way i attack the ball.
    "I'm a hockey player but I'm here to play golf today" Happy Gilmore

President's Cup Wknd_Warrior is on a distinguished road Wknd_Warrior's Avatar
    If you are really key and into learning the game, spend much time anaysing your swing, making changes etc...I'd stay away from large offset irons unless they work for you.

I'd say it's just common sense to start with a club that isn't designed to fix a problem you don't know you have yet.

Thanks for the advice guys, I appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    Or it could be something else. As an example, most people who slice try to fix it by aiming further left (right handed golfer). This actually makes things worse since now they are open to the target and are more likely to cut across the ball, making the slice worse.

This was me 100%. My third round this year I decided I wasn't going to aim left and hit the stupid slice. So I aimed right and visualized a right to left shot and ta da.. I hit a draw (well more of a hook) but it was a step in the right direction!

I definately feel it is a possibility that I might be outgrowing my irons but I don't really feel like buying stock irons to replace them only to get fitted next year. I was hoping to take a few lessons this year, get fitted for a putter, and fitted for a driver this year and do the irons next year but now I'm not sure.

Cheers

Driver Muddler is on a distinguished road
    I've switched from super game-improvement irons last year to mere game-improvement irons for this year. I felt the super game-improvement irons were aimed too left, and I was always fighting to keep it straight. If I missed, it ended up as a monstrous hook. My new irons are very neutral. I haven't played enough to prove it, but initial results are promising.

Quote Originally Posted by Ticker View Post
    Thanks for the advice guys, I appreciate it.

This was me 100%. My third round this year I decided I wasn't going to aim left and hit the stupid slice. So I aimed right and visualized a right to left shot and ta da.. I hit a draw (well more of a hook) but it was a step in the right direction!

I definately feel it is a possibility that I might be outgrowing my irons but I don't really feel like buying stock irons to replace them only to get fitted next year. I was hoping to take a few lessons this year, get fitted for a putter, and fitted for a driver this year and do the irons next year but now I'm not sure.

Cheers

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    Just find yourself a $50 set of small CB or blade irons. They don't have to be the newest ones out there. Geoff's had a $50 set of TA3s for sale for about a year now. There's plenty of others out there.
    I picked up 3 sets of older blade sets for about $40 last year. That's good enough to take to the range and play a few rounds with to see if you like player's clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ticker View Post
    Cheers
    The opinions expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily reflect the opinions of others on OG.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    I went back and forth a couple of times so I understand your situation. I would wait until you see the irons are preventing you from hitting the shots you are attempting when you are trying to work the ball. You will still have to adjust with less offset irons but 1972Apex has a pretty good suggestion to see if you should go for it.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Birdie Sunny D is on a distinguished road Sunny D's Avatar
    Yet another option for you to consider is having a club fitter analyse what you are doing - I have done this a couple of times as my swing matured over the years and I did move from super game improvement clubs to clubs more suited to my evolving game. It was for me money well spent. By the way you don't have to get custom clubs from the fitter, you can take your results to your any good golf store and use them match up to your favorite brand. This year using new data I actually switched from my Pings that I was strarting to stuggle with to Cleveland's frankly a brand that I had never considered. But armed with the data I swung a set Clevelands and the feel and results could not be argued with....

Quote Originally Posted by Sunny D View Post
    Yet another option for you to consider is having a club fitter analyse what you are doing - I have done this a couple of times as my swing matured over the years and I did move from super game improvement clubs to clubs more suited to my evolving game. It was for me money well spent. By the way you don't have to get custom clubs from the fitter, you can take your results to your any good golf store and use them match up to your favorite brand. This year using new data I actually switched from my Pings that I was strarting to stuggle with to Cleveland's frankly a brand that I had never considered. But armed with the data I swung a set Clevelands and the feel and results could not be argued with....

I hadn't thought of that. Basically you got a fitting and took the data from there and found a set of stock Clevelands that suited you well. How close did the stock Clevelands fit the desired specs you were after? Were you able to find almost a perfect match or did you go with the best you could find with stock specs?

Birdie Sunny D is on a distinguished road Sunny D's Avatar
    I wasn't a perfect match but close enough for my game and they did make minor adjustments to a couple of clubs free of charge. I am heading down to Florida at the end of the week for my second major test with them (I have 8 rounds planned plus some range time) and after that I may ask my club fitter to make a couple of other minor tweeks.... but we shall see. Good luck...

Quote Originally Posted by Sunny D View Post
    I wasn't a perfect match but close enough for my game and they did make minor adjustments to a couple of clubs free of charge. I am heading down to Florida at the end of the week for my second major test with them (I have 8 rounds planned plus some range time) and after that I may ask my club fitter to make a couple of other minor tweeks.... but we shall see. Good luck...
    I see, thanks for the clarification. I think I may go that route. Enjoy your time in Florida, you'll have to let me know how it goes!

Cheers

Shotmaker bNeill is on a distinguished road bNeill's Avatar
    I know BC has mentioned this a few times but you have to understand that the forgiveness of the iron is irrelevant to your ability to work the ball.

Thread Information