100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Golf Nut justdoit is on a distinguished road justdoit's Avatar

Poplar Golf course

Day off Wednesday and a lot of courses that I normally play have tournies,Poplar Grove was available so I booked it...anyone know of its condition....Cheers

Ace DecoyOctopus is on a distinguished road
    Way below my standards, played yesterday and will not ever return.

Golf Nut justdoit is on a distinguished road justdoit's Avatar
    Thanks for that info

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Green fees there are just $20 and it is now under new management. Improvements will come in time, but for now $20 is very fair for what it is IMHO.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

1 Iron Bouboude is on a distinguished road
    I agree with Kilroy on this one.

Ace DecoyOctopus is on a distinguished road
    Yes absolutely. My experience was a sour one, I arrived at the course with my playing partners being our first time there. There was no direction as too which one of the 4 9's we would be playing. We waiting around for almost 30 minutes before finally walking over to the Red course. Luckily for us there was another foursome who did the same and given we were two, they let us go ahead right of the bat.

I joked several holes later that I was more upset for letting us play through as we go stuck behind this other foursome (on carts) who dottled along taking almost 15-20 minutes per hole (no joke). The entire front 9 took 2.5 hours and let me tell you this is not a long course and there should have been someone on a cart keeping play moving.

Again, $20 sure great deal if you want a slow round with no direction. I noted to my partner that you get what you pay for and the nicer courses including a better pace of play. If i took 2.5 hours at loch march I probably would have been asked to leave. Just my 2 cents...rounded up to a nickel

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar
    Well, let's hope that "new management" = investment in the course and customer service like Bearbrook seem to be doing. Can always use another quality course in the under-serviced East End. I would feel more encouraged if the quote had been "new ownership" as we all know the principle reason a course (or club) succeeds or fails is directly related to the quality of ownership. Keep a happy thought!
    "All I need to know about life, I learned from my dog".

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    It is under new ownership. Sorry, my bad.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

DecoyOctopous just a suggestion, next time you do not know the location of hole number one just ask at the pro shop. Over the years I have played many mega golf courses in the states with sometimes 54 holes all using the same clubhouse and when in doubt I ask. As for long rounds that does not surprise me because pace of play is not checked there much but I have also played higher end courses that have pace of play problems.

Putter cavery is on a distinguished road cavery's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bouboude View Post
    DecoyOctopous just a suggestion, next time you do not know the location of hole number one just ask at the pro shop. Over the years I have played many mega golf courses in the states with sometimes 54 holes all using the same clubhouse and when in doubt I ask. As for long rounds that does not surprise me because pace of play is not checked there much but I have also played higher end courses that have pace of play problems.
    The course has four nines. ie: four "hole number ones". Most courses with multiple nines give you some idea of which two you're playing.

Ya I know used to be a member there. Maybe pro shop person forgot to tell him so if that happens my advice is go back in the pro shop and ask. This stuff reminds me of when we go to Myrtle Beach in the fall and are playing a new course and the guys I go with will not ask for directions. Makes for a gong show but luckily we always go way ahead of time.

1 Iron CaptainHook is on a distinguished road CaptainHook's Avatar
    Does Poplar have carts? Looking to take a very new golfer with me someplace cheap where pace of play's not a huuuge concern (don't hate me... we're playing off peak hours). I'm just not a huge fan of walking.

Medalist imozzie is on a distinguished road imozzie's Avatar
    yes...carts are available
    "If profanity had any influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be a lot easier than it is" - Horace Hutchinson (1903)

Thread Information