100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Lob Wedge tivs31 is on a distinguished road

My rough Simulator Layout...

Well guys,

I have been lurking around the forum for about 2 weeks now, reading reviews, checking stuff out and generally trying to make a decision on how to plan a good setup for my home simulator / theater room.

We are currently laying out our basement to be finished, and the wife has given the go ahead on the idea, so I'm running with it. Generally my budget is around 15k including everything.

My ceiling height to the bottom of my joists is 9' exactly, meaning I am able to swing pretty ok (still haven't tried the driver, but I'm assuming I'll be ok), but there is a duct in the way somewhat. There is also a sub pump in the corner, hence the need to have a bit of an angle to the screen (15 deg off parralel to the wall).

I was thinking I would be going with the following for the setup:

Foresight GC-2 unit
    Foresight Simulator software
    Custom built Dell cpu (alienware)
    Stretched PR-20 impact screen measuring 12'-6" wide x 9' tall
    EPSON G57570W 4500 lumen HD projector

I was also going to cover the ceiling in a protetctive foam:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#foam/=gp11hs

Paint the walls black, and also cover the areas in a protective foam around 4' off of the wall (not the eggcrate stuff, but just standard foam).

The flooring will be a black interface FLOR carpet tile with an area cut out for a 5' x 5' hitting mat (still not chosen). I will then have a rug that will replace the mat when I move it away for watching movies.

The reason I need this type of modularity is because I have a 2 year old, and the basement is for him, so I would like to be able to easily put all of this away, and into a storage cabinet, while I'm not using it.

So I wanted to gather the forums thoughts on the project, and see what you guys have in terms of suggestions.

Thanks
    Greg

Andisblue
    Are you sure you'll have enough throw distance to produce that big of an image? I looked some of the 1080p projectors and besides being pricey, none of them could produce an image that big without being super far back. At the distance they required, it would cast your body's shadow on the screen, and be shining light in your face. That projector may have a short-throw lens option (it'll cost you dearly).

Keep in mind that foresights software is not multi-gpu compatible, so opt for one strong GPU over several weaker ones in tandem.

Hope it goes well. I chose the pr-20 and have not received it yet.

Need a Caddy TheGolfer is on a distinguished road
    nice setup. agree with andisblue. check projectorcentral or better yet manufacturers calculator to make sure you have the distance for the throw requirements. Remember to change the calculators to "gaming" and set the reflective gain to less than 1 for these type screens - my guestimate is .8 at best.

from what i remember on projectorcentral you can identify the image size and throw distance and get a list that matches your requirements.

my image is 8x14ft and i looked long and hard for a 1080p to give that image size within 12 feet and couldn't find one. landed on optoma gt750-e and it does a nice 8x14 from 9feet throw in 720p/wxga.

good luck.

Andisblue
    Same here, the gt750. I'd be angry w myself if I settled for a long throw 1080p and then a short throw 1080p was released.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGolfer View Post
    nice setup. agree with andisblue. check projectorcentral or better yet manufacturers calculator to make sure you have the distance for the throw requirements. Remember to change the calculators to "gaming" and set the reflective gain to less than 1 for these type screens - my guestimate is .8 at best.

from what i remember on projectorcentral you can identify the image size and throw distance and get a list that matches your requirements.

my image is 8x14ft and i looked long and hard for a 1080p to give that image size within 12 feet and couldn't find one. landed on optoma gt750-e and it does a nice 8x14 from 9feet throw in 720p/wxga.

good luck.
    Thanks everyone for chiming in. The distance calculator from Epson said 16' which probably crosses that out. And thanks for the recommendation and thoughts on the cpu.

7 Iron shoot4one is on a distinguished road
    where is the best place to get black fabric for curtains? Using canvas,cotton twill or what? I think I need about 30 yards so it adds up fast. I bought the Panasonic ar100 has to be mounted 15.6 away for 12 wide pic,1.3 factor

Postaholic CPA is on a distinguished road
    I bought readymade blockout curtain on 50:/ off sale from a fabic and curtain shop from memory it was $500 for 40 metre

l would suggest ready made blackout curtain on ebay

Just went ahead and bought the following items from Cory:

- Foresight GC-2
    - 13 linear feet of his HQ screen
    - Foresight Simuation Software
    - Champions Package of courses
    - Truestrike Single TS302-MK7

Gonna change this thread to be a buildup thread with pictures of the items as they arrive (3-4 weeks) as well as progress of the construction build out in my basement.

Still have to buy a cpu and projector, but the Optima Gaming Projector is probably the one I'm going to go with.

Gonna shoot some pictures of the space tonight and post them up. Wish me luck boys....

Tivs

Our hardware and software will be exactly the same!!!!!

Nice! you'll have to let me know how yours turns out, or is

Just got started piecing everything together:

Changed the layout as well to be flat, and in front of the sub pump area. so that'll help with the viewing area.

Recieved the following items so far:

- True Strike Mat (need to put together and enjoy, lol)
    - Acer 23" Touch Monitor
    - Opotoma Projector (just had it in my kitchen shining on various surfaces, but it looked bright and sharp)

Still awaiting everything else.

Basement build out starts next Monday!

Need a Caddy TheGolfer is on a distinguished road
    good luck

Ok guys, I haven't really logged in here in a while, but here are the updates:

As of right now EVERYTHING IS UP AND WORKING!!!!!!

The basement has been a labor of love, but the entire place is completed, and the simulator is up and running. All I have left is to finish the ceiling in the area, but I figure that can wait for a bit of time, so here are the pics:

Everything is working out really well. The one thing I haven't been able to fully track down is any setting adjustments I have to do to my gc2. I'm not really a good enough golfer to know truly what my carry distances are, but for some reason it seems a bit short. Do I booost the power setting for each golfer?

The only problem I have right now is height, the ceilings are 8'-6" tall, so I can only hit my hybrid and down, so no driver. I guess that was my big error, but otherwise it has been great.

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    Very nice tivs! Enjoy the GC2.

Sand Wedge Claydog is on a distinguished road
    Looks great tivs31! It looks nice and cozy and I love the black walls. Wish I had a basement nook to build mine. One sim company said 8'6" was enough but of course it depends on your swing. Thanks for the inspiration as I'm about to tear out my ceiling after a 2 week temporary sim set up with 8' ceilings. I guess I'm lucky and have a flatter swing. After a couple of trial easy swings I can go full bore with a driver. But with my son and friends I'm going higher for comfort and safety/mistakes. Have fun!

Claydog go as high as you can with the ceiling. The higher the better.

Just ordered a portable sim room. Inflatable cube tent. 12 metres by 5 and 4.5 metres high. White outside and black inside. Total darkness inside.

Should be enough room. Blows up in 15 mins.

In the Zone syhlif32 is on a distinguished road
    Tivs; Looks like you expanded a good deal more than your original layout?
    Looks great, enjoy it.

Ace wbealsd is on a distinguished road
    What a beautiful setup!!

tivs Can I suggest you get a circular saw out and sink the top of the truestrike down to floor level-will pinch 3 inches.

are those wooden beams above yon really necessary to hold up the house?

seriously you can remove some just where yon swing and hold up the floor above with a metal plate or something thin.

3 Iron HRS is on a distinguished road
    For the ceiling may I suggest foambymail.com - half the price of your mentioned supplier. Suggest http://www.foambymail.com/PE2-_1/pol...ets-2-2lb.html in 1/2 or 1 inch thick. My other question is is looks like you would graze the walls behind you or is the space just bigger than it looks?

Another question is how long is your driver? Stock 45.5? I would suggest you cut your driver down to 44 or so. I had mine cut down this year and put an extra stiff shaft on and am having my best season in a while (hcp index 3.4). Most amateurs are playing clubs too long. Perhaps the shorter driver may help with the low ceiling.

Quote Originally Posted by bubba22 View Post
    Claydog go as high as you can with the ceiling. The higher the better.
    will do.... I am going to angle it up to the pitch of my roof and have a gradual rise in clearance. Lower pitched roof but directly overhead should be about 10' - 10.5' and rising. Will post pics of progress and completion....planning the nightmare which is my attic....gas line, water lines, a/c power line etc....all have to be re-routed.

Quote Originally Posted by CPA View Post
    tivs Can I suggest you get a circular saw out and sink the top of the truestrike down to floor level-will pinch 3 inches.

seriously you can remove some just where yon swing and hold up the floor above with a metal plate or something thin.
    I agree....it won't be long and you won't be happy not using a driver/3-wood. You could easily/safely gain 6+ inches in the area needed without too much hassel with CPA's suggestion. And bubba22's suggestion of a slightly shorter driver would make you feel even more comfortable and more accurate to boot!

In the Zone syhlif32 is on a distinguished road
    Listen to Bubba22! Cut the shaft not the beams on the house!
    Even in this market you can't get a new house for $399

Pitching Wedge thenootz is on a distinguished road
    Just ordered a portable sim room. Inflatable cube tent. 12 metres by 5 and 4.5 metres high. White outside and black inside. Total darkness inside.

Should be enough room. Blows up in 15 mins.
    Sounds interesting, could you please share info about the seller?
    How do you plan to hang screen and projector?

No kidding.....insulation cleared... about to remove sheetrock.....what are we talking here?

The floor idea might be exactly what is needed. That plus the shaft cut down and I might be in business.

Thanks guys

Thread Information