100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Bearbrook

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grouchy View Post
    I appreciate all the work you guys are doing, Bear, but a stakes painted white or red are on back order? Courses actually order those things? Couldn't you just go to the store and buy a couple cans of paint and some wood?
    Looking at the other signs and things they have added---I think they would be what Dan mentioned

Dan --is there any way you can compare counts for a particular thread ?

Pushing 7000 must be on the radar somewhere?????
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Hybrid Grouchy is on a distinguished road
    Hmm, ok. High tech stakes. I think the $30 paint and wood could be a cheap interim method, lol.

Big Mac, at the top of the list of threads you see " Title / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post By"? Those are all clickable and will re-order the threads by whichever you click. Click "Views" to see which threads have been looked at the most.

9 Iron rutkay is on a distinguished road
    Must admit that I was concern about the recent discussion about the lack of yardage markers. But I played today and found that there were the 150 yd markers on the side of each fairway and some of the latter holes had the 100 yds center domes as well. I had no real issues about getting the distance, although I probably would have liked a couple of the 100 yds markers on the short par 4s in order to judge clubs as it was my first time playing here. But I was surprised by the quick speed of the greens and how well they rolled. Overall, I was pleased with the course and will likely play here again.

3 Iron scottishgolf is on a distinguished road
    Played bearbrook again today , coarse quite busy ,that was good to see , condition of this coarse is improving well and I for one have no complaints and no hesitation playing there again, in fact I think I will be playing bearbrook more than any other coarse this year , the new carts a superb and again customer service was EXELLANT,

Now if someone could help me to stop a long iron shot on the green I will be one happy Scotsman

Keep up the good work bearbrook

Gap Wedge golfgod is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by scottishgolf View Post
    Played bearbrook again today , coarse quite busy ,that was good to see , condition of this coarse is improving well and I for one have no complaints and no hesitation playing there again, in fact I think I will be playing bearbrook more than any other coarse this year , the new carts a superb and again customer service was EXELLANT,

Now if someone could help me to stop a long iron shot on the green I will be one happy Scotsman

Keep up the good work bearbrook

Hit it closer with your driver...... Then no need for the long irons.....

Sand Wedge The Bear is on a distinguished road
    Grouchy, hazzard markers are typically wodden stakes painted but the distance markers we have orderd are called flex stakes which as mentioned by another reply - can be placed in the middle of the fairway therefore more accurate and can be seen better by the golfers. As for the crew on the course these are in no harms way of the machine operators or the machine and mowers can drive over without damaging the stakes. But with this never ending back order we are seriously considering your stake and paint option!!!!

Enjoy the game

Played again today-enjoyable round---conditions are improving----parking lot almost filled. Still frustrated about yardage markers---must be my eyesight----I'll help paint. Fairways starting to show contours--looks good---looks like a golf course

3 Iron scottishgolf is on a distinguished road
    I was also there again today and must agree and echo everything big Mac said

Uber Poster Paulio is on a distinguished road Paulio's Avatar
    Can someone compare this course to another in Ottawa? Thinking of playing here Friday. I would like to know what to expect.. Thanks.
    My name is Paul. And I'm a golfaholic.

Team Match Play Champ 2012 sebber is on a distinguished road sebber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulio View Post
    Can someone compare this course to another in Ottawa? Thinking of playing here Friday. I would like to know what to expect.. Thanks.
    Good comparison would be Hammond I believe. Better layour than Hammond but conditions are not as good so far this year.
    Captain of the Back to Back Ryder Cup Champs 12-13!

Thanks. Would the conditions be similar to say.. Cedar Glen?

Quote Originally Posted by Paulio View Post
    I saw Sebber's comment regarding the similarity between Bearbrook and Hammond - not sure if if I would agree. Bearbrook reminds me more of Les Vieux Moulin or Anderson. Some holes with trees, some with wide open fairways. But there are tricky greens, especially on the back nine, which you should find a challenge. I will likely be back at Bearbrook in the next week or so.

Good morning,

New Greens Mower scheduled to arrive this morning - "tip of the day" you might want to hit the putting green first - this puppy might make you gain a few stroke. Bic Mac - sorry we are making you strain your eyesight...we are working on it!!! See you soon

Thanks Bear. Comparing the course to Hammond and Cedar Glen. The above comments are valid. The course would be extremely "eye appealig" IF (a) all those dead elms were removed (b) the "hacked' stumps were removed.

Bear I'm not trying to tell you how to do your job, but as someone with experience on a golf course; I don't understand why, after depressions on fairways are filled in---why are they not roped off to keep traffic off them and let the seeds grow. GUR Also I mentioned a couple of times about moving your cart signs back from the greens--they are much too close. The signage serves 2 purposes---as a "cautionary reminder" and a traffic direction indicator. Some of the "t-box" signs should be repositioned----they don't give much information if they can't be seen from the t-box.

These suggestions are ones that really don't cost anything to implement-just more signs that improvements are being made.

I think from 95% of all comments----you see that things are moving in the right direction AND this course does have potential.

Sand traps are a big problem--no drainage $$$$-------cart paths (where they are) should be paved $$$$$ and roped. Make a deal with a local paving guy and give him a membership for a few years --there are lots in the area A couple of bridges could be added $$$$$ Some tee boxes repaired. I'm not sure about what water you have but that could be a big $$$$ deal

With the price of gas this year I am sure more folks would consider playing at home rather than running up the valley or across the river

All in all I'm pleased---only time will tell

Good Morning bic mac....you could not be more on the ball!!!! I agree with all your suggestions and our Super is aware and has addressed
    several of these issues. You should start seeing these things implemented signage a min. of 15 feet below the greens skirt - ropes and ground under repair signage - tee signage repositioned for better visibility.

As for all other suggestions and recommandations, machinery is our biggest concern right now - as mentionned in another post - new greens mower now on site and waiting for the rest of the stuff to help us manicure properly this immense property. Very close behind is the pumping station - water and it's ability to help us maintain the turf and all the work we are doing. No water - no grass = no golfers -this one is very costly but is very important and will be placed in the MUST category. The paths - sand traps and new or more bridges will be in the long term between ( 1 to 3 yr) category because of the plan of going to 27 holes. We will relocate certain fairways, tee boxes and greens therefore we will evaluate during this off season the full layout therefore do no want to spend $$$ in areas that could be totally dug out or moved. We are working on temporary solutions for those i.e. fixing and painting existing bridges - leveling as best as can be damaged tee boxes and adding fill and rocks to wash out areas in fairways and paths. As you are probably aware all the surrounding wooded areas of the course where negleted therefore cleaning of these spots is being done gradually - the main focus at the present time is what is in play, the turf, because this was and still is not to our standards and requires our full attention. But you are absolutly right - once all these areas will be cleaned of the accumulated branches what a difference this will make. We appreciate all your suggestions and the pride you take in this property is remarkable and thatis exactly what we are aiming for. Creating a course, an atmosphere and a sense of belonging for all our members, guests and staff. Thank you for your continued support.

Thank you for your visit rutkay and we hope to see you soon.

A friend and I were thinking of playing this Wednesday but it looks as if you have a tournament in the afternoon - will try shortly

Lob Wedge eagleput is on a distinguished road
    The latest posting from the Bear certainly confirms the actions and future plans of the new management ,so far a lot has been achieved in a short time --Keep up the good work !.

Medalist imozzie is on a distinguished road imozzie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rutkay View Post
    A friend and I were thinking of playing this Wednesday but it looks as if you have a tournament in the afternoon - will try shortly
    They have their ladies league play on Wednesdays.
    "If profanity had any influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be a lot easier than it is" - Horace Hutchinson (1903)

3 Iron Simonlap is on a distinguished road Simonlap's Avatar
    I am sooo glad to hear about all these changes that are happening over there. I cannot wait to go give it a try. I had a membership there a few years ago and it was one of my favorite courses layout wise. One question I have for The Bear is whether there has been talk of having a driving range of any kind?

Well I will probably try to go play a round there in the next couple weeks just to check things out!

Golf Nut justdoit is on a distinguished road justdoit's Avatar
    Played there twice last week because its close to where I live and was curious as to any new changes....It was in pretty good shape compared to Les Vieux Moulins where I have played recently...nice small pro shop and cozy kind of sit down area to have a lunch,nothing too fancy...greens not too bad.I will go back for sure.With Golf Xtra only 16 $,hard to beat..

3 Wood cokelon is on a distinguished road cokelon's Avatar
    I have a tip that can take five strokes off anyone's golf game: it's called an eraser. ~Arnold Palmer

Played today for the first time and was quite impressed. It's a fun layout. Would be a pretty good course for a scramble! The Bear and staff have been doing a wonderful job. This course has a lot of potential. I was informed by one of my playing partners that the course is 10x better than last year.

Caddy Gofish2 is on a distinguished road Gofish2's Avatar
    My first time today and was well pleased. Got to play with a couple of members and they are really enthusiastic about the new owner and the changes to the course. Took me 35 minutes to drive from Sandy Hill. Staff super friendly and I I will be back.

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gofish2 View Post
    My first time today and was well pleased. Got to play with a couple of members and they are really enthusiastic about the new owner and the changes to the course. Took me 35 minutes to drive from Sandy Hill. Staff super friendly and I I will be back.
    Ditto that! Played today and impressed. No it's not The Marshes or Stonebridge (could be tho' 'cause I've never played them). Other than lacking a marshal to chase up the slow players I was very satisfied with the value for the money. Big changes coming, according to the members I played with but the course is very pleasing to the eye now that some care is being poured into the place. Greens in very good shape, fairways well groomed and the rough is not too punishing, but well kept. I think that all the east end courses should be worried if the improvements continue. I'll be back, Thanks!
    "All I need to know about life, I learned from my dog".

Hello To all,

Thank you again for your continued support and encouragement. We have now received the balance of the new equipment - tee mower- fairway cutter - reels - spreader and Turf Brush along with the long awaited distance markers!!!!! Still a long ways to go to bring it where
    we want it to be but one step at a time progress is being done and seen on a daily basis.

Look forward to seeing you soon - make sure to ask for a copy of our complimentary course guide offered during the entire month of July valuable course discount are also enclosed.

Medalist imozzie is on a distinguished road imozzie's Avatar
    I have become a regular with you Bearbrook. Nice to have the distance markers up...what a change! We were out there at 6 pm tonite and your crews were still cutting grass!!! Good stuff...kudos to all!
    "If profanity had any influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be a lot easier than it is" - Horace Hutchinson (1903)

Lob Wedge eagleput is on a distinguished road
    It's really exciting every time I go to Bearbrook there is a new improvement, the tee box marker cups are great and players are actually using them to put their broken tees in.
    Flexible yardage markers which were on back order were worth waiting for rather than the quick fix of rigid poles that have to be removed for mowing.
    Greens are faster and roll better than ever.

Putter bshu42 is on a distinguished road
    What are green fee prices at Bearbrook right now?
    Wouldn't mind getting a round in tomorrow.

Godd Morning bshu42,

Sorry for the delay - hope you manage to get out today. You can play for as low as $20 hst included If playing after 3pm - reg. wkday rates are $30 hst included. Wkends is $35.00 if you prefer riding add $15 to both counts and that is our golf and ride prices.
    We also are affeliated with all local corporate groups plus offer a great discount to all Emergency Response groups with a valid ID card of $25 hst. included anytime Mon. to Friday. Hope to see you soon.

Thread Information