100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Bearbrook

Gap Wedge golfgod is on a distinguished road
    You are correct. The service and the re-doing of the clubhouse is a "great" start. On the other hand the course is in very poor shape. Others around that area are in far better condition in both fairways and greens . One can only hope that it will be addressed and sorry to say in short fashion. The "Bear" has got a rep now as been the place to avoid and it will be hard for the new owners to overcome and the longer the course stays in that shape the worst it will get for the new owners. I surely hope they stick it out .

Hastings1066 may of said it best. Time to get some of the older members back to start hyping the course again....

Good luck to them ... It is not going to be easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Weazl View Post
    Played Bearbrook today and have to say I was very dissapointed. The course was in horrible shape, especially the greens and the greenskeeper had some pin placements (#7 for example) that were insane.

I will not be back until conditions GREATLY improve and am very dissapointed.

Service and clubhouse were greatly improved however.

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Come on guys, give the new ownership a break--it's only mid May---rained like hell out here this week. Sure maybe if your paying full pop it might be slightly high to play but if your doing any discount golf you should not have anything to complain about. Personally if you play it once a week among your other games it wouldn't hurt your wallet---call it a practice round. Besides the extra gas to drive another 30 miles

The guys are double cutting the fairways and they are about to top dress some of the fairways. We don't have to play Outauisor Casselview etc etc to have a good time. Instead of ragging on all the negatives--which we ALL know are there--how about mentioning the good stuff?

A few of the members I have talked to are very excited----I really hope everything works out----and "NO" I am not being paid for this --maybe just getting a little more tolerant in my old age. LOL
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Forum Jedi Weazl is on a distinguished road Weazl's Avatar
    Sadly we can't. The conditions were very poor from tee to green.
    Lots of yoga pants these days, not enough Yoga!

Medalist imozzie is on a distinguished road imozzie's Avatar
    Weazl - I think you need to play courses above the >$30 incl. taxes. IMHO
    "If profanity had any influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be a lot easier than it is" - Horace Hutchinson (1903)

Forum Jedi Weazl is on a distinguished road Weazl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by imozzie View Post
    Weazl - I think you need to play courses above the >$30 incl. taxes. IMHO
    Touché!
    Lots of yoga pants these days, not enough Yoga!

3 Iron scottishgolf is on a distinguished road
    Played bearbrook yesterday (Sunday)and I must say that has been the most relaxing and enjoyable game of golf I have had this year so far.im not saying that the coarse was in the greatest condition, but really at $25 for a round (tee of 3.02) I really can't complain. Ok about the condition of the coarse ,yes fairways we're a bit damp with standing water , greens had some bare spots , hey it's only may and these new owners haven't been there long, if I was to have the choice of playing Champlain v bearbrook at this moment in time I would be choosing bearbrook easily , champlain is charging $45 for a coarse that's not in much different a condition at the moment compared to bearbrook.

i must say though the new management has had at least 3 months to get the mosquito situation sorted out, I really think they have to address this before any coarse improvements

Seriously I am a believer in bearbrook and I will have no hesitation becoming a member of this club if they can get a good crowd of members and some leagues and completions for members set up in the years ahead.

Very well done the staff at bearbrook for given me the most enjoyable game of golf so far this season

3 Wood cokelon is on a distinguished road cokelon's Avatar
    I agree with scottishgolf!!

I played there on sunday too, first time. Some of the green where in rough shape and some of them pretty good!!
    fairways due to water not the best and I think we can all agree that "HOLE #1" is pretty bad but. But again not fair from town for the most part pretty decent course I would definitely consider becoming a member of the club. With a little bit of work which I hear they have been doing quite a bit of that this could definitely be a "hidden gem in Navan!!"

plus is only 10 min away from home so thats a + for me!!
    I have a tip that can take five strokes off anyone's golf game: it's called an eraser. ~Arnold Palmer

Albatross HoganWoods is on a distinguished road HoganWoods's Avatar
    Please do not ask people to sensor their experiences and play nice. I for one like reading honest assessments. This is not to insult anyone but if the course is still in horrendous shape, we deserve to know. What kind of world would this be if we candy coated everything and only mentioned the positives.

Was at "The Bear" today. Only managed to get in 9 holes as I ran out of blood. There are these strange looking varmints with long needles sticking out of their heads sucking on every part of my body...

Course is sad shape. They are trying to fill in the holes on number one but it looks like a loosing battle. Greens are filling in a bit though.. Time will tell.

The Silence says it all !!!!!!!

This thread is buzzing now

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar
    First, I've not played "The Bear" this year, and for several years. But my comments don't relate to the current conditions but the negativity of some of the contributors to this thread. If you want a $75 round for $25 then you're going to be disappointed. If you expect new ownership to turn around a course that has been badly neglected for years, you're going to be disappointed. If I were the new owner/operator of this establishment I'd be pretty dissallusioned with some of the people in the area. The evidence is clear that they are trying to make a difference. The fact that it is not as quick as you like, should not be justification for some of the comments. Reporting on conditions, good or bad is fair game, and that is what this thread is for. Criticism of what they are doing, how quickly and whether you would do it differently comes easy when all you have to do is talk and not pay the bills. The Bear has reached out to the golf community and deserves credit for trying. They could have shut the course down for two years but chose to try to serve the golf community all the while making incremental improvements. I for one wish them well and look forward to my next visit.
    "All I need to know about life, I learned from my dog".

Well said Kiwi..
    "If profanity had any influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be a lot easier than it is" - Horace Hutchinson (1903)

Sand Wedge The Bear is on a distinguished road
    Kiwi - THANK YOU -

The silence was intentional - waiting for someone like KIWI to see if anyone in the local golf community new truly the state of this golf course and what it takes to bring it back.

We have never hidden any information or proclaimed perfection.
    If you have followed this forum from the begining on March 29th it was stated " Rome was not built in a day and neither will we"
    On April 18 -" it will not be picture perfect" On May 9th " You need to let the seeds grow" ...time is what it takes and obviously money
    and that is what we are doing. Growing grass on a golf course if you ask any superintendent is not an easy task to begin with it is now considered an art. Add poor roots - poor soil - poor drainage and poor machinery - this is what this ownership has been contending with and addressing. I'm sorry that the grass is not growing as quickly as you want like it to and that the rain has kept pudles in certain areas but as mentionned in another of our replies - We know and it is on the list and it will get done it just takes time.

We do not plan on sugar coating anything - our plans and projects are based on actualy fixing things and not doing band-aid solutions and that is a long term process. I truly appreciate all your feedback and as Kiwi has mentioned sometimes comments are harsh as taking time to try and figure out why ? I will not attempt to resolve passed issues - I can only say that what has occured with past management - the conditions of the course etc.etc. is in the past. Our concentration is in the present and the future of this course and If you are willing to work with us with inputt on how to make it better - we welocome this with open arms and ears!!!

Wishing you all a great long weekend

Hey bear I just want to give you this

Team Match Play Champ 2012 sebber is on a distinguished road sebber's Avatar
    The main problem is, like someone else posted... perception! Some people expect to pay 25$ to play a 75$ course. People need to realise that you get what you pay for. I remember hearing my father and uncle talk about how bad Nation was when it first started and look at it now, pristine conditions all the time! Give the new ownership and staff some time to work their magic...go there and epxect to have fun playing the game you love for 4 hours on 25$. Once you realise you had a great time and still have 50$ left in your pocket you might take a liking to the new "Brook". Even some solidly established courses like Hammond for example have had bad years. I was a member there, I have seen years where it's in terrible condition and years where it is in amazing condition, be patient and adjust your expections while considering the price you pay!
    Captain of the Back to Back Ryder Cup Champs 12-13!

The Bear - I know that you said that they were on the way but just wondering if you have any idea as to when you might have the yardage stakes in? (I need all the help I can get....lol!)

Medalist cleek is on a distinguished road
    the main thing, IMO, is that the new owners care and are taking the steps to bring the course around. It takes time & money ( and mother nature's help ). I live in the west, play mostly in the west , have never played Bearbrook but glad to hear that a group of keen investors is taking an interest in helping bring back a course that had been neglected. There are a couple of other courses I can think of that would benefit from this same pride in ownership. Stay the course Bear good things will come.

Your quote:

"The silence was intentional - waiting for someone like KIWI to see if anyone in the local golf community new truly the state of this golf course "

How can a person who has not played the course in the past few years offer up an assessment of what the course is like. Others who have played the course " this year" have offered their opinion and for you to comment that basically they do not know what the course is like is unfair to those who have spent the time and money to try the The Bear.

I love the course but I will continue to give a fair and honest assessment of it as long as I do not go out of my way to bash it. Those that moderate this website are open to allowing such comments and I will continue to do so.
    Last edited by golfgod; 05-18-2012 at 04:08 PM.

Albatross HoganWoods is on a distinguished road HoganWoods's Avatar
    Kiwi's comment was spot on, but I don't get why it was said at all. Show me one post where someone bashed the staff or new ownership. People have made comments on conditions and almost every one praised the staff. I guess that's not enough. It's not enough that people like golfgod took time to post about the conditions, took time to praise the staff and the good things that he/she saw. I guess to satisfy some, we must not post anything negative. Everyone understands they are putting great efforts and that's fantastic but I for one do not like being told that if I'm not paying 75$ for a round I should shut my mouth about the conditions and carry on my business. That's what you guys told golfgod, in a polite way.

Edit: I want to add that I understand that probably you guys are just trying to support the course and didn't intend on throwing anyone under the bus. And Bearbrook, don't get me wrong, I'm very excited at the prospect of a new course option near Orleans. I guess some of the posts just rubbed me the wrong way.
    Last edited by HoganWoods; 05-18-2012 at 04:42 PM. Reason: cause

WOW-----I know Kiwi, and even though he may not have been recently--his remarks are right on the money--he has been a regular on this forum for a lot longer than some of the guys doing the complaining. I was a greens superintendant and I know the amount of work and money that has to be spent to bring a course up to par.

As long as management is improving and not overcharging for golf no one has a right to complain---make suggestions OK.

The fact that the BEAR is responding shows that he is listning.

One point that was in one of the comments "you can go and have a relaxing round"

I really hope it works. # ! fairway------------well that is a story all by itself. Did a road go through there at one time ?

6 Iron Tullamore is on a distinguished road
    Have not seen a course on this forum get so much air time! - great to see! over 6000 hits!
    As a business owner myself i like this stirring up the pot - this is great advertising all the talk, negative and positive - and u have the Bear responding back nice touch.
    Sounds like alot of us played the course in the past - call a spade a spade - not the greatest condition at the best of times - but enjoyable - now with new ownership give them some time and most important which many of us do not know cause we are quick to judge and bash conditions .......wait for it........... MONEY! Let's face it the new owners bought a rough course - but with alot of potential
    - if they are as serious as they say we will see some good changes in 3 years. I will keep playing there i enjoy the course.
    Hey Bear do one thing asap - - do add the proper yardage markers in the fairways - this is a must - also your score cards - print new ones - the hand writing over last years cards not good.
    that's may take!

Tullamore------they have NICE NEW SCORE CARDS and pencils with "erasers" ---even "logo" balls

Right now--yardage markers would be a big help.

Liked your post---sure hoipe they can pull it off.

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar
    Fairway yardage markers are a pet peeve of mine. Hey Bear, too many jobs, and not enough hands? Give me a call, and if we can work something out I'll time wise I'll come by and help you cut, paint and plant those markers... NO STRINGS ATTACHED.
    "All I need to know about life, I learned from my dog".

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    I guess Bugsy and I are going to have to take the 10 minute drive and see how the course is coming along! We played that course in the past and for the price it was great.
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

3 Wood cokelon is on a distinguished road cokelon's Avatar
    I finished another around at Bearbrook, fairways much better since we had no rain. Greens some of them still in rough shape but overall playable.

Great customer service AGAIN!

Even the lady that checks for your receipt remembered me!! That's awesome she's seen me once!!

Keep up the good work!
    I have a tip that can take five strokes off anyone's golf game: it's called an eraser. ~Arnold Palmer

Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    I guess Bugsy and I are going to have to take the 10 minute drive and see how the course is coming along! We played that course in the past and for the price it was great.
    My GOD----I almost fell off my chair How have you guys been ? Wondered what happened---must have retired and decided it was time to run away ????

Yes Bob---the course is still basically the same but the small things they are doing are helping--- especially the people. It will take a little time but what the hell we are not paying 50 or 60 bucks for a round of golf.

Lets just hope "mother nature" is good to all the courses this year.

Good to see you back

Sand Wedge The Bear is on a distinguished road
    Hello All,

Thank you again for the support - the boys on the course are working hard at it but yes still a ways to bring all the bad spots back.
    Old #10 - now #1 fairway is rough and will need alot of TLC but filling up of the ruts/holes should begin next week.
    As for fairway markers we are just as disapointed as all of you - they are on B.O. (back order) from our supplier and as per their tel. conversation with our Super on Friday because of the long weekend it is adding another delay. We are crossing our fingers for mid to end of the up coming week.
    Hope you are all enjoying this wonderfull weather - will keep you posted s to when markers are in.

Kiwi - thanks that is very kind of you to offer your services - will let you know.

Cheers!

Hybrid Grouchy is on a distinguished road
    I appreciate all the work you guys are doing, Bear, but a stakes painted white or red are on back order? Courses actually order those things? Couldn't you just go to the store and buy a couple cans of paint and some wood?

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    I'd guess they probably ordered the kind that lay down when a mower goes over them so they don't have to stop to pull them when cutting the fairways.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Thread Information