100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Bearbrook

3 Wood 3putt is on a distinguished road 3putt's Avatar
    I had the chance to play Bearbrook last Sunday and while the course was in OK shape, my group was really impressed with the customer service from the gentlemen in the pro-shop. He took the time to give us an update on the course and gave each one of us a sleeve of golf balls with a 2 for 1 coupon.

We will definitely be back and look forward to the course improvements.

Team Match Play Champ 2012 sebber is on a distinguished road sebber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 3putt View Post
    I had the chance to play Bearbrook last Sunday and while the course was in OK shape, my group was really impressed with the customer service from the gentlemen in the pro-shop. He took the time to give us an update on the course and gave each one of us a sleeve of golf balls with a 2 for 1 coupon.

We will definitely be back and look forward to the course improvements.
    That gentleman was probably my brother in law, great kid with a good head on his shoulders... definetly an asset to the 'brook. He was working at Hammond before.

The Bear, what I meant with my RM question was whether or not it would eventually be part of the list of course that we play on our "Reservation Masters" card, not just the booking.

Also, are you still offering the discount for members of Police, Ambulance and Fire?
    Captain of the Back to Back Ryder Cup Champs 12-13!

Sand Wedge The Bear is on a distinguished road
    Good morning,

3putt - glad to hear that you have experienced customer service The Bear style: meaning If a staff member does not know the answer they will find someone that does and once they know the answer not to be afraid to share it with our customers. A well informed staff member makes for a happy customer.
    Sebber, I appologize for having misunderstood your questions: as mentionned regarding the on line booking we are presently looking into this option. As for being a participtiong course with R.M. they need to purchase corporate memberships with us in order for you to have a discount at the course. I recommend you approach them to express an interest in having Bearbrook Golf included in their list of courses and we will take the appropriate measures from that point on.

E.R.S.( all emergency response services are being honored a reduce rate Mon. to Fri. upon presentation of a valid E.R.S. I.D. card)

Calling the Sun gods....to help the overseeding take effect!!!!

Thanks for the info! Looking forward to seeing the course and the improvements over the next little while! Might be out there on monday afternoon!

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    I called the course for some info this morning. The young lad on the phone sounded really professional ----I thought I had the wrong number.
    They are still working on the website----no sweat. Now they answer the phone too

I'm happy
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Ok--played Bearbrook today and had to pay full pop !!!!!! All EG spots gone 35.00 including lunch---curious as hell. First of all the clubhouse was a lot more inviting and Eric at the check in--super friendly and the young lady in the afternoon just as pleasing. They do have a few new items for sale which if fine--logo balls and NEW score cards !!!!! 18 holes in 3.5 hours behind a threesome..

Overall the course itself is still the same--but they ARE working on it . New signage on all holes with new marked distances. Cart directional signs which I think are TOO close to the greens------move them back about 50 feet at least--keep the carts away from the aprons. Sand traps need work and sand and I was surprised that there were still no yardage markers in the fairways. I have played the course many times but those discs are almost as hard as finding a lost ball !! For this time of the year there was not a lot of real wet spots like usual but you can see where drinage work has been done.

There is a lot of work to be done on the course---but all in due time. All in all the folks were super friendly and accomodating. We have to give them the time and mother nature has to at least start the grass growing.

They do have a seniors price but it includes cart and lunch---some of us play golf for the exercise--we do not need a cart---that may change.

Will I go back?-------with EG absolutley. Just the fact that the staff make you feel welcome is enough. BIG DIFFERENCE

Gap Wedge golfgod is on a distinguished road
    Was there on Saturday with a friend to play a round. Lots of work done in the clubhouse and a friendly staff to go with it.

But that is where it ends. The old adage "if looks like a duck, if it sounds like a duck and if it walks like a duck " then odds are it is a duck.

Tee boxes long and still not leveled off. Greens just a bad as ever. Fairways ,,,,that says it all. The new number one looks like it was a bombing site for our air force. Holes no grass and still the same old water in the same old place.

They took over 2 months as they said to do it right. Most golfers that I know of would rather they spent the time , money and effort on the course and not the clubhouse. Management I heard is from Hammond. Did they not do the same? Built a million dollar clubhouse and then spent years bringing the course up to date.

I saw a number of old members out there. Maybe they were invited with hopes of getting them to come back.

I wish the course all the best in the future and hopefully we will get a course in the East that is deserving of a 1200 a year membership. Right now though it is not worth the 900+ they were asking for the past few years.

Seniors like myself would like to see the costing come down . For two of us old guys 100 bucks for two green fees and a cart is pushing my old age pension to the limit...

Good luck Bearbrook... I will visit in the Fall to see what changes have occurred.

Good luck to all....
    Last edited by Kilroy; 05-07-2012 at 04:15 PM.

Lob Wedge birdy_chaser is on a distinguished road birdy_chaser's Avatar
    I was there on Sunday and they had their official opening. The place looks great and the staff is great, very friendly and welcoming. Lots and lots of cosmetic change to the course. Great look in that old clubhouse, or whatever it used to be, but very very nice now !! Nice deck, nice new carts, new signs for the holes.

I must agree with golfgod and say that the course is still pretty rough, but it is afterall only the first week of May. Tee boxes are atrocious!! and the blocks are so close together that myself being a pretty tall guy, I was standing with my heels at the edge of the blocks and could almost reach the other blocks with the driver ???? if you're going to do that, fix them up first and that means flat surface, grass cut and no moguls !!!! (this BTW is not a shot at the course, these people look like they know what they are doing and I'm assuming it's on the list of things to do, if not, then it will always be the same old bearbrook.

The greens are bad and that's the way they are until June every year !!! again, looks like we have to be patient.

One thing i did notice on the course is the white outline. this will be the new fairway line. The course will have some definition and they are going to have a first cut and a second cut. This alone will be a huge improvements making this course a little tougher. The 200, 150 and 100 yard discs in the ground are a joke, why can't they just stick a post in the fairway like everyone else, it's not like the yardages are marked on the sprinkler heads (oh wait, what sprinklers??) and for all the low spots and holes on the course, please fill them with earth and seed, this can't be that hard but I'm sure a big expense as there are so many of them !!

I like playing there and will continue to do so, hopefully the management comes up big with improvements. it's still a great track and has sarcastic or mean this post may seem, I do sincerly wish them luck, and very happy with what i seen so far and know they will do the right thing,

Golf god----I think you are being a little hastey here. Yes the tee boxes need to be fixed---BUT you can't do that when it's wet--and everyone knows Bearbrook IS wet. They have done some drainage work and I gotta say it IS a lot drier than other years.

As I said earlier---all new signage---albeit some in the wrong places. I did ask the management about fairway markers and they said they are coming.

I did forget about contouring the fairway cutting--looks like we may have to be a little more accurate

The change in the clubhouse does give you an atmosphere change which is nice. Ie would be a good idea to go around the course and clean up some of the areas with 3 foot stumps and piles of %&&^%%---another thing that would change the mood. No it would not improve course play but it IS something that is not real exspensive to do.

Yes the senior golf deal is really no deal BUT if you buy a EG or RM membership----it's really a no brainer.

The management company is not the same as Hammond---they are from Kitchener.

WOW---my old age is calming me down !!!!

Gap Wedge golfgod is on a distinguished road
    I will not get into this as I am quite sure that the Mod here will delete everything but the periods...

Hence to say , I made a comment that they would have been better off doing something on the course rather than making the clubhouse look pretty....Can't play golf in the clubhouse although some have tried.

The GM is from Hammond and I am quite sure her input went a long way but I cannot speak for her. The increase in the course is Not justified . I would just as soon have coin operated coke machine and level out the tee boxes. Would love to go back as a member but I am willing to bet that the way the course looks now with the lack of grass and the tee boxes, it will look the same in August. Please someone prove me wrong... BUT if it is the same then I reserve the right to say "I told you so"

Quote Originally Posted by big mac View Post
    Golf god----I think you are being a little hastey here. Yes the tee boxes need to be fixed---BUT you can't do that when it's wet--and everyone knows Bearbrook IS wet. They have done some drainage work and I gotta say it IS a lot drier than other years.

As I said earlier---all new signage---albeit some in the wrong places. I did ask the management about fairway markers and they said they are coming.

I did forget about contouring the fairway cutting--looks like we may have to be a little more accurate

The change in the clubhouse does give you an atmosphere change which is nice. Ie would be a good idea to go around the course and clean up some of the areas with 3 foot stumps and piles of %&&^%%---another thing that would change the mood. No it would not improve course play but it IS something that is not real expensive to do.

Yes the senior golf deal is really no deal BUT if you buy a EG or RM membership----it's really a no brainer.

The management company is not the same as Hammond---they are from Kitchener.

WOW---my old age is calming me down !!!!

Albatross HoganWoods is on a distinguished road HoganWoods's Avatar
    I really hope they slowly improve this course, the layout is pretty good. Drivable Par 4, very nice Par 5 over a cliff... The only thing was finishing on a Par 3 was weird, but looks like they changed all that. Great job ! I'll visit this year for the first time in 2 years.

Good morning All,

Thank you for all your feedback. That is one of the reasons we are monitoring this forum - golfgod all imputt is important to this ownnership and management group. Please don't confuse what was built 28+ years ago by a totally different group at a totally different operation.
    We have no intentions of building a white elephant....what was done from end of Feb. to begining of April was what could be done at the time is cleaning and fixing up a run down building to better serve our guests. What is being done NOW that weather permits is the same to the golf course. The cost that is in effect now regardless of all the changes-the $$ invested in upgrading the facilities and the course that has, is and will occur will remain the same during the entire season - we will not increase our rates in the prime summer months when all competitors will. We are basically charging our guests the cost of operating a golf course -the inflation to cost of living has increased drastically for all and even more so for golf course operators.
    Big mac - good point on the seniors rate - great rate for those that take the package but not for those that prefer the exercice - as of next Tuesday - the rates for walkers will be $25 tx included - thank you for pointing that out.
    New tee-markers are in and fairway markers on route - birdie chaser sorry your stance was affected by tee-blocks and boxes, duly noted and F.Y.I. as soon as rain can stop tee boxes are being addressed. Golfgod we invite you and a guest to come and visit us at your earliest convenience - please communicate with our administrative office to organise your complimentary passes. For us It is not about prooving anything - it is about taking this amazing property and briing it to it's full potential and as skeptical as some may be - it is happening - you just need to let the "seeds" grow! HoganWoods Thank you for your support and vote of confidence .
    Enjoy the game!

Albatross freddyottawa is on a distinguished road freddyottawa's Avatar
    Wow, I don't think anyone could have asked for a better response than that. I will definitely making my way out there this season for a couple of rounds. Good luck with on-going facelift of the course.

I played the 'brook on Monday and enjoyed the course. Pace of play was great and the layout is lots of fun.

The only things I noticed that would need attention would be the greens who are not receptive at all are pretty shaggy, but we are still in early may and I dont think the green have been punched yet.
    The tee boxes need a little work but that will be addressed.
    I would also like to see the course play a little longer, at 6100 from the blues it is a little short but overall it is a very fun course and I trust the management and staff for the eventual improvements!

Forum Jedi Weazl is on a distinguished road Weazl's Avatar
    Great response and great service The Bear. I commend you on the use of this tool as a sounding board from the people paying to play your course. Its a shame other golf course management teams don't use this tool to its potential. I do see a lot of golf courses on Twitter now, but they seem to be one way communication tools to them and not true two-way communication tools. This forum would serve them well, as it seems to be helping you get your message out.

I have played the Bearbrook course two to three times a year for the past ten years or so as I have always enjoyed the layout. It has always needed work and I am glad to hear the new ownership group is truly interested in reinvigorating this course. Two thumbs up from me and I will be by soon to see it first hand.

Cheers,
    Lots of yoga pants these days, not enough Yoga!

Putter hastings1066 is on a distinguished road
    I do not often post but in this case... I do beleive that "HoganWoods" was talking about The Nation golf course. They have a geat par 3 finishing hole and the 12 is the par 5 with the tee boxes on the cliff edge... Bearbrook does not have a cliff unless there is a new hole that I am not aware of.

No he meant the par 5 2nd hole with the ravine. Cliff was just a poorly chosen word. 18 was a par 3 to finish but I believe they switched the 9's this year so it becomes 9.

Cheers,

Medalist imozzie is on a distinguished road imozzie's Avatar
    I too would like to commend The Bear for monitoring the forum and for taking the time to respond. Nothing worse than having to deal with rumour and misunderstanding - and nothing tougher to stop once it gets going. The best way I know of is to provide the facts...and, thankfully, your willingness to not only monitor but to respond with the facts is greatly appreciated.
    "If profanity had any influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be a lot easier than it is" - Horace Hutchinson (1903)

Putter hastings1066 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Weazl View Post
    No he meant the par 5 2nd hole with the ravine. Cliff was just a poorly chosen word. 18 was a par 3 to finish but I believe they switched the 9's this year so it becomes 9.

Cheers,

I stand corrected. Thank you.

I will make one more comment and then fade away .

I was one of the past members that Rick invited out on Sunday for a game of cleaners. It was fun..

If management has Rick as a pitch person then a very good move on their part. However, if they (management) were entertaining any ideas of trying to get their old members back then I would suggest they get Glen back in the fold. He was the person that Ron threw off the course last year and the reason a lot of members left. Having him back at The Bear would go a long way to convincing others to return... Rick would likely agree on that part and I do believe he knows how to get in touch with him. Money well spent to offer him a one year membership..

Just the thoughts of a rambling ole man.... Now back to my cave..

regards to all

Albatross HoganWoods is on a distinguished road HoganWoods's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Weazl View Post

Cheers,
    ya..that's what I meant. thanks

If prices remain fair and the course improves a little this year, I will likely get a membership next year and hopefully get some friends to join as well. It would be nice to get a men's night going with some pints after. The new house we are building will be 5 minutes away which makes it appealing. Membership at the 'Brook plus an RM card and my golf appetite should be satisfied.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Bearbrook is now online for booking with Reservation Masters,. It is also available to RM members.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
    Bearbrook is now online for booking with Reservation Masters,. It is also available to RM members.
    That's awesome!!! Wow, RM and Bearbrook work quick! Not what should I ask for next? ahaha

Hi everyone---I had actually thought the day of good customer service was gone. These fellas sure proved me wrong. Thanks to the quick addressing of some issues. Now if all of us can be a little patient I am sure it will all be worth it.

Thanks Bear BTW--playing tomorrow.

Hello All,

A progress sheet of work being done to the course will be posted in our Pro Shop as of this afternoon - Gary Hasting our course super is working out the final details. Unfortunately the rain we have had in the past 2 days has delayed some of the work.

Bic mac - enjoy your round today - I hope this sun and light wind will help dry out does famous wet spots, please don't wear any sparkly new shoes!!!! Spring shoes would be appropriate most especially if you are playing early morning.

Keep on and thank you for your support.
    P.S. call ahead If you are planing on taking one of our New power carts out as they may be club house bound for the morning.

I'm heading there tomorrow at 8:14 to see the new club house and progress myself. Great work! Can't wait to get out. Cheers,

Medalist imozzie is on a distinguished road imozzie's Avatar
    My oh my, what a difference a change in ownership makes! Had the opportunity to play a little hookey today with a golf club in my hand at Bearbrook - just to see what all the buzz was all about. Well, my congrats to the owners and the staff for a great experience!

From the time you leave your car in the parking lot, change is evident. Signs leading you to the new entrance to the proshop. Smiling faces, happy to be there, behind the bar and the proshop desk. Customer service, with a smile and a ready 'How can I help you' - and off you go. Without a word of a lie, I must have see at least 6 guys in machinery cutting grass today! I don't know whether, over the course of 15 years playing that course, I ever saw 2 in the same day!

Yep, there was a lot of standing water on the course. But, after the week we've had, most courses would. And the new ownership knows there's a problem - and there are actual signs of moves to fix it!

For $30 all in, it is truly value for money. Well done Bearbrook....well done!
    "If profanity had any influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be a lot easier than it is" - Horace Hutchinson (1903)

Thanks Bear---played today and enjoyed it---a good 87. As imozzie said---lots of machinery running around. I talked to two of the fellows cutting and they explained what they were doing-excellent. Mind you the fairways were a little wet but thats "mother nature". The grass is starting to grow and fill in the bad spots on some of the greens. Years ago I was a greens super-I know what your up against.

3 Iron scottishgolf is on a distinguished road

Thumbs up

I have just booked bearbrook for Sunday and this is all due to the fact that the bear has been answering the questions on this thread with great experience.i played bearbrook last year and I must say it was not a very pleasant experience. The bear and others have put the faith back into me that some people actually do care. Hey bear you keep this up and you could have a couple of new people looking for membership. This is just great customer service it's as simple as that

Played Bearbrook today and have to say I was very dissapointed. The course was in horrible shape, especially the greens and the greenskeeper had some pin placements (#7 for example) that were insane.

I will not be back until conditions GREATLY improve and am very dissapointed.

Service and clubhouse were greatly improved however.

Thread Information