CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Bearbrook

3 Wood Brewcee is on a distinguished road Brewcee's Avatar

Bearbrook

Not sure if this is old news, but I noticed at the golf expo that Bearbrook is under new management and has been rebranded (bearbrookgc.ca). I have heard both that the course was sold and that the course was leased, so not sure which is true.

Lady at the booth said the plan is to bring the existing 18 up to par this year, build another 18 in the near future (apparently new 9 already laid out) and build a new clubhouse. The company that bought/leased the course is from Kitchener ON and owns 2 other courses, one of which is Ariss Valley, which isn't a bad public course in The Guelph area.

Forum Jedi Weazl is on a distinguished road Weazl's Avatar
    That would be fantastic!
    Lots of yoga pants these days, not enough Yoga!

Medalist imozzie is on a distinguished road imozzie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewcee View Post
    Not sure if this is old news, but I noticed at the golf expo that Bearbrook is under new management and has been rebranded (bearbrookgc.ca). I have heard both that the course was sold and that the course was leased, so not sure which is true.

Lady at the booth said the plan is to bring the existing 18 up to par this year, build another 18 in the near future (apparently new 9 already laid out) and build a new clubhouse. The company that bought/leased the course is from Kitchener ON and owns 2 other courses, one of which is Ariss Valley, which isn't a bad public course in The Guelph area.
    The course has been up for sale for quite awhile. Late last summer, the RCGA was out doing some GPS measurements of each of the holes. We wondered when we saw them if it might have been some condition related to a potential sale. This can only bode well for a golf course that had lots of potential. Good stuff - IMHO!
    "If profanity had any influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be a lot easier than it is" - Horace Hutchinson (1903)

Team Match Play Champ 2012 sebber is on a distinguished road sebber's Avatar
    It has been sold, they are retooling the staff this year, expect good things from them. I am sworn to secrecy, but it's all good news! Will now become a more prominent course in the east.
    Captain of the Back to Back Ryder Cup Champs 12-13!

Habitual poster OutOfTheRough is on a distinguished road OutOfTheRough's Avatar
    I played here a lot in the first couple years that I started but haven't been back in the last few years due to the poor conditions. This is great news, and I can't wait to see the changes.
    Proud member of the 2012 OG vs TGN Ryder Cup winning team

Forum Jedi Weazl is on a distinguished road Weazl's Avatar
    Because I can play 18 there and be home by 10:30-11:00 on a Sat I get out there a few times a year. Improved conditioning and some money sunk into the course would be more than welcomed.
    Lots of yoga pants these days, not enough Yoga!

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    The course has some pretty decent bones but has really been allowed to slide over the past 10 years and desperately needs some conditioning. Almost anything would have to be an improvement.
    Very happy to see someone new has taken over BearBrook. Even though it is relatively close to me I gave up on it two years ago because I prefer my golf courses to actually have grass on them. I'll definitely give them a chance this summer.
    The opinions expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily reflect the opinions of others on OG.

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Yep--definitly changing hands---looking forward to any improvements--a great location and lots of room for improvements---fun course to play--a couple of mickeymouse holes but all in all maybe another decent east end course.
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

3 Iron Simonlap is on a distinguished road Simonlap's Avatar
    This is great news! I enjoyed the layout of the course but definitely the conditions there were sub par by a fair amount. I will be checking it out at some point this summer I think!

3 Wood Brewcee is on a distinguished road Brewcee's Avatar
    They handed out 2 for 1s at the golf show that are good until next May (2013). I am thinking I might check it out in the fall after giving them a summer to see what they can do. Realistically though, it could take a couple years before we see any drastic improvements.

Hybrid Grouchy is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewcee View Post
    Realistically though, it could take a couple years before we see any drastic improvements.
    True for some fixes but cart girls and an interac machine in the restaurant would drastically up the chances of my girlfriend agreeing to play there again.

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grouchy View Post
    True for some fixes but cart girls and an interac machine in the restaurant would drastically up the chances of my girlfriend agreeing to play there again.
    A girlfriend that likes to golf AND likes the cart girls... wouldn't that be sweeeeet!
    "All I need to know about life, I learned from my dog".

3 Iron Simonlap is on a distinguished road Simonlap's Avatar
    Lol I was gonna say, my wife doesn't mind the cart girl as long as I glance and not stare lol!

Heh. Well, my GF likes a beer or two during the round and is willing to look past the fact that it's generally served up by a young cutie. I am pretty good at not staring.

We went last year and they had run out of carts so that added to her annoyance with the place as well.

Gap Wedge golfgod is on a distinguished road
    Was out there on Friday. They have torn out the "kitchen" and are going to move the pro shop into that space. The Kitchen is moved over to where the storage was and will be basically a snack bar for the first little while. The old pro shop is now where the GM of the course will set her office.

Memberships will remain at the price quoted from the old owner until March 31st when they will go up. Not too sure about all of them but the Mens 7 day membership goes from $991.00 taxes in to $1200.00 plus taxes "ouch"

The greens were being cut but it looks like a late April eary May opening according to the girls answering the phone...

That's all good news. A few little things that would make a difference would be visable yardage markers in the fairways--more sand in the traps--improved tee boxes and some drainage on 1 and 10------they have been working on it. I did notice a few newer pieces of equipment last year. As everyone has mentioned --it is a fun course to play---maybe new owners with a different attitude and improved conditions will help. It will take a couple of years to improve--but in the long run I think it will be worth it. Even at 1200.00 for a membership----if the improvements warrant it--then no problem. I wonder what they will charge for a daily green fee? It will have to reflect the course condition as it is now----personally I think last year's was out of line but I play with EG and have no complaints. Time will tell.

Sand Wedge The Bear is on a distinguished road
    Thanks for visiting this past Friday. Yes you are right Kitchen has been removed and relocated: food service will include - snack bar/ restaurant and outdoor BBQ. As for membership rates it is actually $923.07 + HST which is $1,200. As for opening date Bearbrook has always been one of the last courses to open in the region because of the drainage issues. It is a long term project...with on going changes and renovations - there is only one way to go and it is up. New owners have seen the potential of this property and are putting the time-the energy and the $$$ required but the saying goes" Rome was not built ind a day" but in the long run- Well worth it!!!!
    Whishing you aa amazing golf season may all you pars become birdies!!!

Thanks for the update Bear. This is great new and if they build it we will come!

When I started playing golf 6 years ago bearbrook was a course I played a lot, but I haven't been back in the last 3. Hopefully with the new upgrades I will be able to put it back into the rotation of courses I frequent!

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar
    Yes, thanks for the update. Eagerly awaiting the addition of another quality course in the east end. We have an overabundance of golfers and are under-served. Look forward to more progress reports and plans.
    "All I need to know about life, I learned from my dog".

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bear View Post
    As for membership rates it is actually $923.07 + HST which is $1,200.
    $923 + HST is $1043.

Team Match Play Champ 2010 DenisO is on a distinguished road DenisO's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spackler View Post
    $923 + HST is $1043.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bear View Post
    Thanks for visiting this past Friday. Yes you are right Kitchen has been removed and relocated: food service will include - snack bar/ restaurant and outdoor BBQ. As for membership rates it is actually $923.07 + HST which is $1,200. As for opening date Bearbrook has always been one of the last courses to open in the region because of the drainage issues. It is a long term project...with on going changes and renovations - there is only one way to go and it is up. New owners have seen the potential of this property and are putting the time-the energy and the $$$ required but the saying goes" Rome was not built ind a day" but in the long run- Well worth it!!!!
    Whishing you aa amazing golf season may all you pars become birdies!!!

Glad to see all of this happening. As I will be out to give it another go. But sadly, a membership will be out of the question. We paid $991.00 taxes in last year and even with the course in that shape was overpriced. Now with the costing going up to $1200.00 with no major course improvements for the next few years .....

Good luck with all of the new owners plans for the course but I am afraid they have just priced themselves out of the market. Too many courses around offering much more at the same or slightly higher memberships .... Might not be a bad idea to keep the current cost of a membership just to see who is willing to give it another go.

Quote Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
    Too many courses around offering much more at the same or slightly higher memberships
    For example?

Quote Originally Posted by Grouchy View Post
    For example?
    Nation $1681.00

All memberships include pull cart, locker and shower
    7 days in advance booking

Falcon Ridge $1650.00

• Ability to book tee times in advance
    • Access to exclusive member sales
    • Member tournaments and leagues
    • Discounted powercarts
    • Free Range memberships
    • Access to Purchase - locker and club storage
    • Discounted league fee's
    • Referral programs
    • Invite to special events throughout the year!
    Glengary Golf and Country Club $1300.00 taxes in...

These I know about off hand... Great club houses and offerings to it members are great. For about 400 more you sure do get a lot...

I have no doubt Bearbrook will be able to offer such benefits to its members but my question is : why charge now for something that is not there. It might be better to keep it at a lower cost to try and get its members back.

I wish them all the best as I have had been a member there for more than 14 years, yes even back in the days when Audry was running the snack bar. And even before that when it was just a 9 hole course..

I've completed a search via the local course websites and the following is the info that is on them (either latest 2012 rates or last years 2011 rates). There are not many courses that are offering membership in the $1200 range (tax in). Whites Sands unlimited practice and play was a little cheaper, but the only actualy 18 hole course i could find in that price range was actually cheaper and that was Cedar Glen.

I think this pricing is still fair for bearbrook, considering they are putting money back into the course. Rome wasn't built in a day and people should give the new owners a chance to get things moving on the right track. For those members that don't see the value in the current membership rates they will probably go elsewhere, but will definitely pay more. Everyone see the value in things differently.

PineView - championship course Season pass
    1463 + tax = 1653.19
    Hammond golf
    1592.92 + tax = 1800
    Nation
    1681.41 + tax = 1899.99
    falcon ridge
    1650 + tax = 1864.50
    manderly
    1595 + tax = 1802.35
    champlain
    1670 + tax = 1920.08
    Cedar Glen
    780 + tax = 881.40
    White Sands Unlimited practice and play
    899 + tax = 1017

As OutOfTheRough lists, the Nation ends up being at about $700 more after tax, so it's not fair to say the prices are close, golfgod. Cedar Glenn is the only one that beats the price and that's pretty far out of town. I would add The Canadian to Outoftheroughs economical course list - $1399+tax=$1580. eta: Glengary Golf and Country Club is the only one that is a comparable price at $1300 taxes in, but definitely a farther drive.

I hope The Bear will come back and clarify which is correct: $923+HST/$1034 or $1200 taxes in.
    Last edited by Grouchy; 04-02-2012 at 11:54 AM.

Sand Wedge The Bear is on a distinguished road
    Hi Spackler - you are absolutly right - this Bear needs to learn how to use a calculator!!!
    Cost is $1,200.00 HST included ( therefore $1,061.95 + HST = $1,200.00)
    Sorry for the confusion

I don't know guys but if your playing Bearbrook with any of the corporate memberships I think it will be hard to beat------------esp. with the cost of gas this year !!!!!!! I played Bearbrook over Hammond / Pineview last year and will probably do the same again this year-----I just find Bearbrook a fun course to play. As I said earlier a few small improvements this year will help. I just hope they don't go nuts trying to open up another 9 holes before they get the present ones in shape.

Quote Originally Posted by big mac View Post
    I don't know guys but if your playing Bearbrook with any of the corporate memberships I think it will be hard to beat------------esp. with the cost of gas this year !!!!!!! I played Bearbrook over Hammond / Pineview last year and will probably do the same again this year-----I just find Bearbrook a fun course to play. As I said earlier a few small improvements this year will help. I just hope they don't go nuts trying to open up another 9 holes before they get the present ones in shape.

Very much agree. With the discount clubs bearbrook is definitely value for the money especially if you live on the east side. Concentrating on the existing course should be the main focus as I am hoping it will be with the new owners. Once things are back on track and moving well, then shift focus to expanding & taking advantage of the land they have! Only time will tell but I'm sure we will all be happy in then end!

Ace Travis is on a distinguished road
    Thank god that somebody bought this place.

I likely won't play it this year beacause conditions will be nowhere near where they need to be yet, but I will definitely be up for playing it once they start to turn their ship around.

Best of luck to the new owners and mgmt.
    Last edited by spackler; 04-04-2012 at 08:48 AM. Reason: No facility bashing

Thread Information