• 81-85

11 55.00%
  • 85+

3 15.00%
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sawgrass Score?

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar

Sawgrass Score?

I'm going to Sawgrass next Thursday and have obviously thinking about it since I booked.

My question is, what do you think I'll shoot:

2-3cap
    haven't golfed since October
    1 indoor range session at a GolfDome
    new woods, wedges, putter
    minimal putting/sh. game practice
    better physical shape than fall

I'll get 1 round and 1 practice session in next week before the round.

Golf Guru Gropper is on a distinguished road Gropper's Avatar
    81ish your gonna think about it alot, but it aslo depends on what tees you play, that would be from the back. forwards tees you should do better, But this is just a guess!

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    I'd agree with Gropper, low 80's.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Oh and i hate you! So want to play Sawgrass some day!

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by davevandyk View Post
    My question is, what do you think I'll shoot: I'll get 1 round and 1 practice session in next week before the round.
    Dave - 79. Gerry - 84. Enjoyment - Off the charts.

Quote Originally Posted by Gropper View Post
    Oh and i hate you! So want to play Sawgrass some day!
    I've stood on the 17th green but I did not get to play it.
    Attached Images

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by davevandyk View Post
    I'm going to Sawgrass next Thursday and have obviously thinking about it since I booked.

My question is, what do you think I'll shoot:

2-3cap
    haven't golfed since October
    1 indoor range session at a GolfDome
    new woods, wedges, putter
    minimal putting/sh. game practice
    better physical shape than fall

I'll get 1 round and 1 practice session in next week before the round.
    The state of my game was similar to yours when I played, expect my index was 6.5 and I shot 85 and 84 on the Stadium. Oddly enough the 84 was on the windy day in tougher conditions.

If you can figure out putting on the Bermuda, I think you should be able to break 80 from the blues. There's a lot of room to hit the ball and the rough isn't up yet.

Like BC said, you should have a blast.

What is you goal/prediction for #17? Let me tell you, when you are hitting your approach into #16 you are really thinking about 17 because you can see it, just waiting there for you and your golf ball.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    85+ this jinx thread will haunt your every swing
    You only get out of something what you put into it

I'm planning to play whatever the back tees are, blue I think. Don't think they allow players to play from the TPC tee blocks.

when i was there, they had all of the pro tees covered but it was the last day you could play before they closed it to get ready for the tour championship.

Yep, the pro tees are either covered/closed.

Also, it's cart path only for the carts if you are planning on riding.

Gap Wedge dickie_kak is on a distinguished road dickie_kak's Avatar
    Who cares what you shoot. I'm in envy. It will be a great memory, regardless of your score. But honestly, in order to keep with your thread. 79, because you seem like you have your head in the right place to score well. But not too well, because its your 1st game of the year.

Good Luck!

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road
    I'm just looking forward to the experience and just hope I can keep it in the 80's. I won't be playing the back tees with Dave as he's just a youngster and I'm an old retired guy Now we have to hope for some good weather. Like John I'll be taking lots of photos. What's this talk about #17? I hear there is no water there and just nice lush grass all around the green.

Quote Originally Posted by gbower View Post
    I'm just looking forward to the experience and just hope I can keep it in the 80's. I won't be playing the back tees with Dave as he's just a youngster and I'm an old retired guy Now we have to hope for some good weather. Like John I'll be taking lots of photos. What's this talk about #17? I hear there is no water there and just nice lush grass all around the green.
    the good news is there is lush grass around the green. the bad news is its only about a foot wide.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    the good news is there is lush grass around the green. the bad news is its only about a foot wide.
    Nah, there's a lot more room that that. I'd say it's almost 3 feet in places.

I was looking at photos and in my head all that blue stuff is nice lush green grass

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    Just got my vote in under the wire. I hope you shoot the lights out.
    Andrew

Just back from Sawgrass and all I can say is it was an absolutely fabulous experience. I did accomplish two of my goals as I shot 88 so beat my goal of 90 and I didn't put a ball in the water on 17. I just missed my 8' birdie putt right after Dave drained his ten footer. I can't tell you how the stomach started churning as you go up 16 and keep looking across at the 17th green and then all the delays with photos on the 17th tee. All four in our group put them on which was great. The course was in great shape and we had a beautiful day with virtually no wind and a bright blue sky. The start to the round was horrific but after the first four holes I settled down and parred a few to finish the front and started the back pretty good but 16 ate me up and spitted me out. I'll let Dave tell more about his round but I think he was only one over on the back and he couldn't get the smile off his face after the birdie on 17. That clubhouse is sure something else. The caddie said it was $32mil to build. Now I can't wait to watch The Players tournament as I'll have a different perspective of it now. It sure is a target course that doesn't allow for a lot of error of the tee and then every green is so well protected with mounds and bunkers. It is a round of golf that I will never forget and score sure didn't mean anything as it was all about the experience of just being there. I'll try to post some photos when I get a chance.

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Good for you guys. Sounds like a lifetime experience. Cant wait to see some pics.

Here is a link to some of the pictures from a great golf course with lots of good memories.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1002361...JaK9qu52J2vqwE

Quote Originally Posted by gbower View Post
    Just back from Sawgrass and all I can say is it was an absolutely fabulous experience. I did accomplish two of my goals as I shot 88 so beat my goal of 90 and I didn't put a ball in the water on 17. I just missed my 8' birdie putt right after Dave drained his ten footer. I can't tell you how the stomach started churning as you go up 16 and keep looking across at the 17th green and then all the delays with photos on the 17th tee. All four in our group put them on which was great. The course was in great shape and we had a beautiful day with virtually no wind and a bright blue sky. The start to the round was horrific but after the first four holes I settled down and parred a few to finish the front and started the back pretty good but 16 ate me up and spitted me out. I'll let Dave tell more about his round but I think he was only one over on the back and he couldn't get the smile off his face after the birdie on 17. That clubhouse is sure something else. The caddie said it was $32mil to build. Now I can't wait to watch The Players tournament as I'll have a different perspective of it now. It sure is a target course that doesn't allow for a lot of error of the tee and then every green is so well protected with mounds and bunkers. It is a round of golf that I will never forget and score sure didn't mean anything as it was all about the experience of just being there. I'll try to post some photos when I get a chance.

the clubhouse is pretty impressive, even more so that they tore the old one down the day after the Players ended and had the new one built before the tourney started the following year.

Nice pics Gerry. Good birdie Dave!

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Great pics Gerry. What a fantastic golf course and the pics really show the holes better than on t.v. Good for you Dave for that birdie on 17. !!!!

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    Dave where's the report!!!

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    in the vacation section
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    Whoops!

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    You know what, it was amazing. I really thought going in that it would be another really good course to play in good condition.
    However, like Gerry, my body told me otherwise. I felt more nerves that any tournament round I have played in.
    I was warming up on the range, hitting everything thin as hell... think Tin Cup but instead of shanks I was making contact 1/2 way up the ball, shooting about 5 feet off the ground.

I actually managed to uncork a beauty drive off the 1st tee, then proceeded to massacre the first 3 holes going dbogie, dbogie, bogie before somewhat settling down... so I thought. Then came #7 where I was greenside bunkered in 2 before playing ping pong back and forth across the green finishing with a triple bogie 7. So 9 over after 7 didn't feel all that great.
    I was finally able to find my groove after that and played the remaining 11 holes at +2, including a 37 on the back with par, birdie, par on the last 3. 16, 17, 18 were even better looking than you see on tv. The drive was super tight, unfortunately I pulled it left, didn't even have a chance to attack the green.
    I narrowly missed a 10 footer on 16, hit a PW to 10 feet and made the putt on 17 and then came 18. As a consistent left-to-right player, that hole scared me a TON more than #17. I bailed out to the right rough, hit a 7iron over the trees to 30yds short of the green then summoned the inner Adam Scott to get U/D on 18 with a tap-in

The whole experience with a caddy was AWESOME... well worth the extra $ in my opinion. I was able to walk bag-free and fully enjoy the experience. He gave me exact yardages, targets and the little confident confirmations right before I hit. One of the best parts of the caddy experience for me was being able to make that 120yd walk from #16 green to #17 tee. I echo Gerry's comments about #17, I wish I had my heart rate monitor on, I bet it was as high as some workouts I have.

Overall I give it a 12/10 and glad I made the trek up from Orlando to play with Gerry, a round I will never forget.... I actually re-played it 3-4 times in my head on the drive back to Orlando!

So the majority was correct, 83, in that 81-85 range... not bad considering it was only my 2nd round out since October with 2 range sessions this week and not touching a club before that for 4-1/2 months.

Good report Dave.

Par on 18 is a really good score. I blasted my tee shot right of the cart path onto the hill making sure to keep away from the water.

Driver Adska is on a distinguished road
    Good finish there bud! Proud of you.

Glad you guys had an awesome time. Rounds like these are more about the experience then the score. Hope I get to do it some day.

Thread Information