100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Birdie g8r is on a distinguished road

Myrtle Beach Trip

Just got back from a trip in MB. Weather was great, except for a rainout on Friday.

We played 6 rounds, Long Bay, Waterway Hills, Legends Moorland, Shaftsbury Glen, Wachesaw East and International Club, the rainout was supposed to be Myrtlewood.

The conditions were excellent. It was fairly dry, so putting was a bit of a challenge.(except for Thursday's round, we got some rain the night before).

If you haven't played Shaftsbury or Wachesaw East, book them on your next trip. Shaftsbury was very wide open but hazards are well placed. Wachesaw has some tight fairways.

If you are planning to play Legends Moorland, make sure your short game is top notch. About half the greens are raised, so a slight miss makes for a difficult chip up. Some have 20 foot drops off the fringe, and I got caught going back and forth (and back and forth) on one hole. Par 5, up to the greenside bunker in 3, 6 shots later I was on the green (3 to get out of the bunker, over the green, then back and forth 3 more times). The greens here were quick and tough. I had one 5 putt (from 20 feet), downhill to about 8 feet, then back uphill to 6 feet, then back down to 4 feet, back up to 1 ft, and I sank that one. Those 2 holes put me over 100 for the only time all week.

If you have the choice, skip International Club, nothing spectacular, conditions were similar to many of the public courses here.

Long Bay was by far my favourite. Jack Nicklaus signature course. It was also my best round, had a birdie putt on 18 for an 89, ended up 3-putting for a 91, which is good for me since I've only broken 90 once in my life.

I tried to upload some pics but they're too large, pm me if you want to see any of them.

g8r

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    we played Long Bay last year. Man, that course is tough. If you don't hit the green, there is a world of hurt waiting to swallow up your ball!

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    We really enjoyed Long Bay last year also. Great course. I played Moorland in November in the rain, it's a good track also, I think I know the par 5 you are talking about.

How was the tram ride over to Waterway Hills, did you enjoy the course?

We are ehading down in a couple of weeks, playing Crow Creek, Heritage, Caledonia, Pawleys Plantation, Litchfield and Oyster Bay. Hoping to replay True Blue.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Crow Creek is a nice track, fast greens as I remember. We'll be playing that one in April when we head down.

My dad raves about Caledonia, supposedly one of the best in the area, though very expensive when we go.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc
    Crow Creek is a nice track, fast greens as I remember. We'll be playing that one in April when we head down.

My dad raves about Caledonia, supposedly one of the best in the area, though very expensive when we go.
    That's why we go in February.

About $450US for 6 nights and 6 rounds at some very good courses, taxes and carts included.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Major Poster EDSGOLF is on a distinguished road
    There are 7 Myrtle Beach courses on Golf Digest's 100 Top Public US Courses 2003-2004 list. Caledonia is probably in the top 3 courses in Myrtle Beach and #93 on the 100 list, but as mentionned above, a bit pricey.
    http://www.EatDrinkSleepGolf.com
    Myrtle Beach Golf

Gap Wedge InTheHunt is on a distinguished road
    Heading down to Myrtle Beach tomorrow for 7 rounds (King's North,Long Bay,Litchfield,River Club,Willbrook and the two other courses at Myrtle beach National)Essentially the master's package that's quite popular.Weather's looking so-so but will still be great to play a few rounds.Played Wachasaw East last year and yes it's a tough course.The course record from the white tees was set by Meg Mallon ,62 i think during a LPGA tour stop.They have her score card up on the wall.If anyone will be heading down in the next few weeks i would be happy to post a trip report on conditions of the courses when i get back..Enjoy the snow fellas....

Quote Originally Posted by Colby
    We really enjoyed Long Bay last year also. Great course. I played Moorland in November in the rain, it's a good track also, I think I know the par 5 you are talking about.

How was the tram ride over to Waterway Hills, did you enjoy the course?

We are ehading down in a couple of weeks, playing Crow Creek, Heritage, Caledonia, Pawleys Plantation, Litchfield and Oyster Bay. Hoping to replay True Blue.
    I'd hate to have to take that tram over during peak season. We did however, get away with only tipping the first guy to take our bags. We set it up with our group to tip different people to avoid the double-triple tipping. The course was nice, conditions were alright, we played Lakes and Oaks, and some of our group played Ravine.

It seems every year the locals always tell us "its never this warm in January".

For younger guys, Wednesday night is college night at Club Kryptonite, and draught beer is only $1. We had the locals staring at us buying 20 drinks at a time. You can find free passes so you dont have to pay the $10 cover charge to get in as well.

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Colby
    That's why we go in February.

About $450US for 6 nights and 6 rounds at some very good courses, taxes and carts included.
    Only 450US!!! How many people have to be in your group to get that? Sounds like an awsome deal that I may have to make an annual Feb trip!
    Thanks
    Denny

Quote Originally Posted by dbleber
    Only 450US!!! How many people have to be in your group to get that? Sounds like an awsome deal that I may have to make an annual Feb trip!
    Thanks
    Denny
    Only four required.

It's a great time to go, especially with the current exchange!
    Colby

Quote Originally Posted by dbleber
    Thanks
    Denny
    Ours was under $350 US (total was $425 CDN), however its 1st or 2nd week of January. There were about 40 of us though. The package price depends most on the courses you want to play, not the number of people.

and also the time you want to go. Unfortunately, we go mid April (peak time) and we pay $539 for 5 nights/5 rounds + condo on the beach. Still pretty good though. That price is for primarily mid level courses (which are great courses) and nothing high end like Caledonia, Tidewater, etc. which will really affect the price.

Factors that will affect your golf package $:

- time of year
    - time of day (some courses offer AM or PM discounts, weekend/weekday as well)
    - choice of courses (regular, intermediate, premium)
    - number of golfers (the price of golf will not change, but 4 golfers in a condo is cheaper than 2 golfers in a hotel)
    - choosing pre-customized golf packages (ie: courses from the same owners)
    - number of beverages consumed (varies between golfers )
    Myrtle Beach Golf

9 Iron putterking is on a distinguished road

Myrtle Beach Trip

12 of us are leaving on Feb. 25th. How's this for a lineup

The Witch
    Parkland
    Glen Dornoch
    Arrowhead
    River's Edge
    Long Bay

Some of us have played Long Bay, Arrowhead and The Witch. If anyone has played the other three, some feedback would be appreciated.

Putterking

Quote Originally Posted by putterking
    12 of us are leaving on Feb. 25th. How's this for a lineup

The Witch
    Parkland
    Glen Dornoch
    Arrowhead
    River's Edge
    Long Bay

Some of us have played Long Bay, Arrowhead and The Witch. If anyone has played the other three, some feedback would be appreciated.

Putterking
    Here's some general thoughts:
    • Glen Dornoch is a favourite of a lot of people in Myrtle Beach.
    • I played Rivers Edge in November, sweet course even with the cold. I've got some Rivers Edge pictures up at http://www.cstech.ca/MBGTNov2004/index.html
    • I haven't played Parkland, but have played Moorland at the same complex. The Legends group does a great job with their courses. Heathland is the third 18 at that complex.
    For more information on all the courses, including current conditions, there are several groups who plan to play some of these courses in the next few weeks and will post a trip report, go to http://forums.prospero.com/mbgolf/messages
    Colby

You definitely have a good line-up Putterking, let us know how your trip went when you get back!
    Myrtle Beach Golf

An update for those who are interested. Great trip, weather was fantastic. A trip report and pictures are available here:

http://www.cstech.ca/holidays/2005/golfing/feb5%2D11/
    Colby

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!

Was in MB as well.

Went from Feb. 6th to the 10th. Played five rounds (King's North-95, WaterWay-90, Willbrook-81, Litchfield-79 and River Club-85. Weather was fantastic, averaged about 15 degrees everyday. Came away with the best impression of Willbrook, probably because it was the nicest day weather wise. Can't believe the courses are almost in good of shape as ours up here in the middle of summer. Can't wait to go back.

Quote Originally Posted by GJohnston69
    Went from Feb. 6th to the 10th. Played five rounds (King's North-95, WaterWay-90, Willbrook-81, Litchfield-79 and River Club-85. Weather was fantastic, averaged about 15 degrees everyday. Came away with the best impression of Willbrook, probably because it was the nicest day weather wise. Can't believe the courses are almost in good of shape as ours up here in the middle of summer. Can't wait to go back.
    Glad to hear that you enjoyed it. We played the same package last year, but skipped Waterway playing Long Bay and the other two MBN courses. Where did you stay when you where there? Central I hope. This is our second trip inearly February and it's been great both years, with this year being the best. How many went down?
    Colby

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!

MB Trip

It was just myself and a friend. Two others sat on the fence for too long so we said too bad. We stayed at the Litchfield Beach and Golf Resort. It cost us only $284 with taxes for five nights, five rounds, five carts and five buffet breakfasts. The only surcharge was $25 to play King's North.

Quote Originally Posted by GJohnston69
    It was just myself and a friend. Two others sat on the fence for too long so we said too bad. We stayed at the Litchfield Beach and Golf Resort. It cost us only $284 with taxes for five nights, five rounds, five carts and five buffet breakfasts. The only surcharge was $25 to play King's North.
    That happened to us last year also. We were about 350 or so for our rounds in the Master's Package. This year was more expensive due to the higher priced courses we wanted to play. Last year was two, this year was eight. I've heard the buffet at the Litchfield Resort was very good. We stayed at the True Blue condos, just a bit futher south than you were. 4 of us in a two bedroom, two bath condo backing onto the course. Very nice.
    Colby

Thread Information